Exercising but GAINING weight!!!!

Options
Chuckles_nz
Chuckles_nz Posts: 1 Member
SO Ive just joined the gym, am doing a 60 minute class 6 days a week, plus walking my dogs for about 45-60 mins a day but yet am gaining weight !! How is this possible?

Replies

• KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of exercise to lose weight and it sounds like you are doing well in that regard. You will need to look at your diet as exercise is only a small part in losing weight.
  • FFFIC
    FFFIC Posts: 13
    Options
    Awesome work with the exercise.
    Are you eating enough food?

Also do not let the number on the scales be the only measure of success. It is important to do measurements also (muscle is denser than fat and hence you will measure smaller but potentially weigh more).

Also the time of the month can have a bearing on your weight and can provide a "false" reading.

I tend to weigh each week but look at the trend over a four period (it is usually more accurate picture of what is going on)

Most importantly how are you feeling?
  • TJD_NZ
    TJD_NZ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same here... I seem to lose weight when I'm not expecting it, and gain it when I think I should be losing it.

I'm doing roughly the same amount of exercise as you - and if your dogs are anything like mine 45-60mins is a massive upper body workout as well as a 'walk' (Endomondo's estimate of 388cal my butt....!!)

I asked my Mum the same question and she asked whether I'm drinking enough water throughout the day. If your body is going through the whole 'starvation mode' phase, it may be holding on to everything it can, including water. And then there's the whole 'muscle weighs 8 times more than fat' argument.