Alcohol?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
Do you drink alcohol while eating more calories? Is this allowed? If so, what do you drink?

Thanks!

Replies

• chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    yep. depends on what I'm in the mood for. sometimes a beer (or 6) sometimes a jameson. I don't drink every day. but once in a while, I will definitely throw some back.

I'm also in a 3 month plateau. so maybe my advice is not the best... :(
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    While trying to lose weight, I limit my alcohol to 1-2 drinks on the weekend, if I really want some. I try to drink light beer or light liquors with seltzer or diet coke. Sometimes I'll just have some wine.

I've heard that alcohol slows down your metabolism for 72 hours, but I've never seen the scientific evidence to support that theory. I've also read that if you work out after a day or night of drinking, your body burns off the alcohol first before you burn anything else off. If that is true, it's a waste of calories either way.

I lost 60 pounds without restricting alcohol or any food groups. Just a 10-15% deficit. However, now that I'm 30 pounds (or 15% body fat) away from my goal, I'm being a bit more careful about my intake.

So, you can drink. Moderation is best though, as with all things. And be sure to add your drinks when logging your calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Actually, alcohol speeds up metabolism, as body sees it as poison and tries to get rid of it as soon as possible. You can't store those carbs in it.

Reason why the Atkins stuff goes for net carbs for items that have sugar alcohol.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • kitka82
    Options
    Actually, alcohol speeds up metabolism, as body sees it as poison and tries to get rid of it as soon as possible. You can't store those carbs in it.

Reason why the Atkins stuff goes for net carbs for items that have sugar alcohol.

Please say it's so. Because I *really* miss my evening glass of pinot noir! :)

Tim Ferriss, the author of "The 4 Hour Body" also says that wine may help with fat loss, due to research on reservatrol.
  • heybales
    Options

Tim Ferriss, the author of "The 4 Hour Body" also says that wine may help with fat loss, due to research on reservatrol.

Hey, at least that's a nice reasonable inclusion compared to what some may want to include.
  • kitka82
    Options

Hey, at least that's a nice reasonable inclusion compared to what some may want to include.

If only I could stick to a 5 oz portion, I'd be good to go. But my glasses are 15 oz lol. I need smaller glasses.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Interesting and good to know. Thanks!
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up booze so...

I have had to make a conscious effort to pass up a beer on a regular basis...especially when it's just one of those "beer after work" things where I only drink one or two. However, I have NOT passed up a beer or margarita or whatever else I enjoy drinking when it comes to girl's night out, birthday parties, holidays, camping, cookout, etc. I try to work my alcohol calories into my macros, which usually means limiting myself to one drink instead of three. If I know we are having an event that weekend where I plan to drink more than one, I'll behave and avoid alcohol that entire week and even try to squeeze in an extra walk or hike the day of the boozey event. I also had to learn to NOT fret when the scale is up the next day. It usually takes a couple days to balance back out if I have had more than a couple, which still happens a couple times a month.

That said, I've still lost at a nice 1lb/week rate. The key for me was not letting the booze allow me to eat like a fat kid, which was probably the bigger problem. :drinker:
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I think I've been drinking more....hah. Only 2-3 times a week; usually I'll have a beer or lately a gin Bloody Mary, which interestingly doesn't give me the next day water retention beer usually did. Not that I'll stop having a beer...I AM in the midwest after all. Beer is a food group here.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Sometimes (often) alcohol makes up my calories. I have a hard time eating as much as I should, but I don't seem to have a problem drinking those calories. :laugh:

It doesn't seem to affect my weight loss. Now it's possibly why I've never achieved the definition I want, but I doubt it.
  • heybales
    Options
    Sometimes (often) alcohol makes up my calories. I have a hard time eating as much as I should, but I don't seem to have a problem drinking those calories. :laugh:

It doesn't seem to affect my weight loss. Now it's possibly why I've never achieved the definition I want, but I doubt it.

Well, sadly they are carbs your body can't use for energy, so that means it's just taking away from nutritious calories that the body can do some good with.

If it's just a little bit, not bad, because taking reasonable deficit means you have more fudge room (who said fudge!) without impacting nutrition.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Don't worry I'm not drinking a fifth a night. Just a few glasses of wine. And I rarely eat simple carbs, mostly veggies and fruit.
  • disintegratedgirl
    disintegratedgirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This thread was really useful as I've just started a reset a week ago and was curious about alcohol.

I pretty much gave up dinking a couple of years ago because it seemed like a waste of calories but over the last 6 months I have had the odd drink maybe once a month. Would be quite nice to make that once a week but was concerned about it not being a very nutritious use of calories.
  • disintegratedgirl
    disintegratedgirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh and what I meant to ask around the issue about non-nutritious calories was whether if i intended to have say two beers one evening would i be better taking those calories over two days as long as I wasn't eating below my BMR on the day I wasn't drinking it on? So that it made sure I had more "proper" calories for my body to use on the day I was drinking.

I would like to point out this wouldn't be a regular event, just trying to work out how to make it work best.
  • alleekat
    alleekat Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Maybe that explains why I was at my thinnest, when I was drinking the most - never beer, only spirits and water or diet soda.

Hmmm... maybe I should go back to that.