Frustrated!

Options
momjmd
momjmd Posts: 296 Member
Last night I checked my BS before bed and was 96. I got up this a.m. and was 146.... What the heck? I take my meds at night so they should be working well while I sleep. So frustrated b/c I don't know what to do.... did not eat anything after taking my BS last night.

Replies

• BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the "dawn effect" to me

Check out this link

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html
  • sshimeall
    sshimeall Posts: 16
    Options
    Sigh. I'd consider 146 good in the morning.

I was running in the 170's to 180's in the morning, then I thought about my meds. They told me to take them with meals, which meant that the time between my dinner and my breakfast was often about 16 hours. It was just too long.

So I changed the interval, and started taking them 12 hours apart. Now I am back down to 140's and 150's in the morning.

Caveat: your experience WILL vary -- talk to your dr before you do anything, and a lot will depend on your mix of drugs. This definitely does NOT apply to you if you are on insulin.

I have heard of the dawn effect, but have not really seen it personally.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You should read up about the Dawn Phenomenon. I have high Fasting Readings. Before bed last night my BD was 112- which is low for me. Today my Fasting Blood Sugar was 198! I take Levemir 2X per day, allegedly to lower Fasting Blood Sugars. Doc wants fasting 150 or under. I also take Metformin maximum dose, 2 pills in AM and PM. Anyone have any advice to hep get the high fasting readings down?
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'm still struggling to get the "Dawn Effect" to go away, but I have heard/seen others who have had luck with some light exercise about 30 mins before bed. (Light exercise being a slow walk for about 10 - 15 mins, or the stationary bike real slow, or even just some stretching/yoga.)

Others have had to attack the problem through a light snack right before bed. Some have managed with a small carb snack (like some carrots), others have had to rely strictly on protein snacks (like a piece of string cheese).

And, some have found the total opposite to be true - don't eat after a certain time.

You may have to experiment and find out which method works for you. I wish you much better luck than I have had in finding your solution. So far, I haven't hit on anything that works. But, I'm not giving up. I firmly believe, where there is a will there IS a way!
  • NinerUp
    NinerUp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I struggled with type 2 for 17 yrs. This past april i eliminated all wheat, sugar and grains from my diet. My blood sugar has been perfect ever since then. I started with wheat first. That decreased my cravings. Then i just eliminated the rest. I feel great. Look up Wheatbelly. Here goes the link to his blog. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/wheat-belly-quick-and-dirty/