Wheat and gluten problems - reasons to follow low carb diet

Options
suzannehmngbrd
suzannehmngbrd Posts: 10 Member
I have been following the 17 day diet plan which is low carb. During a period of time off the plan, I developed increased skipped heart beats knows as PVCs. I've had them a long time, but recently they have been severe. Through some research as to why this was happening I stumbled upon the following info, which may give us all the more reason the stick to a low carb diet:

".... patients with wheat and gluten issues benefit from eliminating wheat and flour products. Most notable have been some cases of premature contractions (PVC) common skipped or extra heart beats that scare the heck out of people when they happen. PVCs are usually benign and can be triggered by stress......in gluten sensitive individuals, eating bread, bagels, crackers, pasta, and other grain-based food items can trigger PVCs." www.drsinatra.com

Replies

• Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    thanks for this. I've been pretty low carb for over a year now but only recently got real serious about taking all wheat down to a lower level. wheat belly comments on this phenomenon and attributes it to some peculiar properties of the new dwarf 14 wheat which apparently is used throughout the world. interesting story if you have time to read wheat belly.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Most people benefit from elimination wheat and gluten from their diet for sure. However gluten free, wheat free even grain free diet is NOT equal to low carb. I hit 150-180 g carb a day easily without consuming any wheat , barley, oat etc .
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Indeed, a lot of "gluten free" products can have even -more- carbs than their "glutened" equivalents, as they can add more starches/binders. So - you have to be careful with that, and really control portions or avoid things all together.

I'm both low(er) carb and gluten free, if you've like a friend in the same boat, add me. :D
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I went wheat free. I had some pretty hardcore withdrawal symptoms and nearly gave up. I struggled through though, and I am glad I did. Aside from being free from the problem that led me to go wheat free in the first place, it also provided some negative motivation. The suffering scares me away from pizza and all the other bad things that I used to like to eat.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I personally recently decided to go gluten free. I started around June 12. Since then my weight loss has been consistently heading downwards whereas before this I was pretty much stuck in my mid 150s and over time I was actually gaining weight. I'm now at 149. I've lost about 1 lb a week. I have not been low carb. I was focused mainly on lowering my calories but I was always around 120 or less grams of carbs. Now since going gluten free and finding out how much better I am (no bloating, no constipation, steady weight loss, etc) I began taking note of how I felt with different foods. So I ended up noticing that certain high carb foods leave me hungry so that I want more food. I am looking to control my blood sugar. I have no issues with diabetes or anything like that but there's a family history so I'm trying to take care of me now and trying to watch out for that. I want to be healthy, energized and strong so that I can enjoy my one and only life.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. Now that you mentioned this, my extra heart beats that I experienced for a while are no longer there after being wheat free for about 18 months. Other problems cleared up too, unrelated to the original sinusitis and post nasal drip that went on for over three years - the orignal problem that I was trying to see if gluten-free would help. I believe that my sinusitis is related to milk products, but I have been low wheat/no wheat and I plan to stay that way.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Indeed, a lot of "gluten free" products can have even -more- carbs than their "glutened" equivalents, as they can add more starches/binders. So - you have to be careful with that, and really control portions or avoid things all together.

I'm both low(er) carb and gluten free, if you've like a friend in the same boat, add me. :D

Or just don't eat "gluten free" "products" and instead just eat things that are naturally gluten free. Going gluten free doesn't have to equate to eating "fake-bread" anymore than going vegetarian has to equate to eating fake-meat.

Even without gluten free "products," you can still pack on the carbs, which is what I think redheadmommy was referring to. Things like bananas and potatoes can rack up the carb count very quickly, without ever touching any kind of grain, whatsoever.