Carbs vs Calories

Options
NJWright731
NJWright731 Posts: 6 Member
I have been reading some of the old post on the low carb group. And I was wondering do you concentrate more on the lowering your carbs or maintaining your calories in a certain range? And what carb count do most of you find for weight lost?

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I think both numbers are important. I keep my carbs around 100/day and 1800 calories. I absolutely do NOT get my carbs from any wheat or gluten. These levels keep my cravings at bay, all the while allowing me to have treats of a handful fo french fries or a scoop of ice cream etc. (not always of course) I have lost 31lbs since the beginning of March.
  • Primrose_au
    Primrose_au Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I too look at both cals and carbs. I try to keep my carb limit between 30 - 50 carbs and have lost 22 pounds since the start of February.

Only this last 8 weeks have I been on low carb though. The previous weeks were low cal diet. I have set my calorie limit at 1420, more on exercise days.

I am avoiding Breads, pastas, rice and starchy vegetables and fruits / sugar. I will be up-ing my carb limit soon to a maintenance level when I reach my goal.... i'm not far off.

This is the first time I have tried the low carb lifestyle and I'm loving it.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    As above I follow both! Carb sensitive so trying to keep them under 30 and calories set at 1850. Need to keep carbs low to stop craving/ binging! No grains, sugars, potatoes and just a few berries for fruit. Not missing out though :-) lots of lovely meats, cheeses, Greek yogurt, cream, butter, oils- coconut-yummy and whatever veg I fancy smaller portion if root bigger portion if greens. Lost 10 lbs in 7 weeks. Good luck!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Priority 1 is carbs. I target 20-30 net carbs, with macros of 70% fat, 25% protein, 5% carbs. For the first several weeks, my opinion is that this is the sole focus. Do not worry about calories in the initial adjustment period. Eat when hungry, but eat low carb food. You want to get your body adjusted to Low Carb.

Priority 2 is calories. After the initial adjustment period, then start figuring out your caloric target and make sure you aren't eating too much (or too little).

There isn't really one definition of "Low Carb". Some folks do Low Carb, High Protein. Some do Lower Carb (around 100 g carbs). Some do Keto (my preference), which is more Low Carb, High Fat, Moderate Protein.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I should have also mentioned that when I started and was just getting "adjusted" I kept my carbs to about 30g/day. Once a couple of months went by I was able to tolerate way more carbs and still lose, so why not right? :P During this tme I learned that wheat and glutenous foods are really toxic for me. While I can stop at one small scoop of ice cream, and be satisfied with a handful of french fries... eat something with wheat in it and I'm hungry all day long, even eating "low carb" tortillas with 3g of net carbs/serving. As long as I'm wheat free, I can notw tolerate a few starchy veg/high sugar fruits and the occasional treat. Wheat is the devil lol (for me anyways)
  • StephanieE3456
    StephanieE3456 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I watch both. I have a really slow metabolism so I have to keep my calories on the low side along with keeping carbs low to lose. I eat around 1200 calories a day and try to stay at 20g of carbs. it's the only way I lose. When I eat more calories or add back more carbs, I gain weight. I workout 6 days a week as well.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I also think both numbers are important but it's whatever works for you!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I watch both. Right now, my calories are set at 1800, but I never make that...it is more between 1200-1500 most days. Carbs are alittle more of a priority for me and I keep mine below 50g. When I started this past January, I was at 100g and totally focused on carbs more than calories then. Good luck.
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm with the group- they are both important to keep track of but if I had to chose between going over one or the other, I'd rather be over in my over all calories than carbs.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Calories are only important in the sense that you have enough of them. It's not important how many you eat except if you are eating so little as to cause your body to deliberately elect to slow your metabolism. but assuming you are eating over 1500 calories a day, it's not relevant whether you eat more.

It is relevant how many carbs you eat per day. I average fewer than 50/day. other's pick a different number. most of the research on low carbs seems to settle on 15% of your calories coming from carbs but it's entirely ok to have no carbs at all. Eskimos living on seal meat and blubber are a good example. Humans don't need carbs for energy, minerals or vitamins in any way whatsoever. Humans can be completely carnivorous and be in excellent health.