Just bought the book

Options

Replies

• VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Had a really good day. Calories under 1000. Wow that doesn't happen often for me. Not hungry though. Hope the scale moves tomorrow. Best of luck to you all. V
  • lesaskoney
    Options
    Hi Vicki - looks like we are the last soldiers standing - everyone else must have given up! I'm in a major "stall" as they call it and gettin frustrated. Still on the diet, and the scale goes up and down but hasn't gotten below 5.5-6.0 of total weight loss in almost a week:( of course, I had alcohol over the weekend, and that usually sabatoges all my hard work....when will I learn?

You are right about it being a big mind game - you have to really want to lose the weight more than you want that food you crave to win the battle. I lost about 12 pounds 2 years ago and got down to about 126, and still remember how good I felt, and how great my clothes fit, and al the compliments I got, and the great pictures, and I just want to get back to that, but its a long hard road.I gained it all back and more, and really freaked when I finally got on the scale after New Years. Hope I can keep up the motivation, but I know I can do it - WE CAN DO IT!

Are you eating Quinoa? I find that when I eat it, the scale doesn't move or goes up. I've been toasting it in a skillet in coconut oil and then cooking in a rice cooker, and it really is delicious that way (my family even liked it - much better than couscous). Just wonder if its because of the carbs.

On the coffee creamer issue, I found a recipe on line last night for a homemade coconut creamer. You use canned coconut milk, coconut oil, an egg and vanilla. They claim its great, so may give it a try. I really liked So Delicious coconut creamer in my coffee until I figured out it had that awful ingredient in it.
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yep I guess everybody has quit the diet or quit the "Thread". So sad. I am still interested in keeping it going. Anyone else beside Lesa??
  • abouthealth56
    abouthealth56 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting the Virgin Diet tomorrow. Fell off the wagon late this afternoon. I feel very bloated & I'm sure that, when I get on the scale tomorrow, I will have gained some weight. I feel fed up with myself(no pun intended), but I just have to start over again. I do feel better eating the way JJ Virgin teaches. I stayed on it for about 9 days, lost 6 lbs. Is anyone committed to this way of eating? I would like to have a few fitness pals to compare notes with.
  • EatingWellToo
    EatingWellToo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have pretty much been doing this diet for 6 weeks now since I came back heavy from Christmas in Italy. I've lost about 9 pounds since then (which is about 6% of my body weight) and am in normal weight range for my height. I am 5'6" but have a small bone frame so even an extra 5 pounds really shows, and it had been creeping up the last few years. Right now I feel great - at 50+, and am wearing jeans that fit my 19 year old daughter and weigh 10 pounds more than I did as a senior in high school. So although I did not have a lot of weight to lose, it came off fairly easy with this diet.

During my 21 days on the diet I did not cheat on the 7 foods. Not cheating was the key for me. Giving up 7 staples was so radical that I didn't have a chance to concentrate on missing any one! I don't really think I had food intolerance to any of the 7 forbidden foods, but for me giving up sugar was huge: I am like the woman in the book who stole her kid's Halloween candy. And giving up dairy meant no butter or cheese, both of which just pack on weight for me. Still, I ate more fat than she recommends in the book: avocado, nuts, olive oil - although I tried not to go too far over the fat allowance in the daily tracker in myfitnesspal. I'm not embracing coconut products to the extent that she does because of the saturated fat aspect, although I am using some, and find them good for recipes, as well as the less-controversial hemp milk (almost flavorless, so good for recipes) and almond milk. About half-way through the 21 days I started logging all my food on myfitnesspal. I realized then how much I was eating, and this helped me control portions aand achieve better nutritional values. I aimed for 1300 calories a day and usually ended up between 1200-1500. Also about half-way through, I started religiously having a protein shake for breakfast - not using her powder, but Bob's Red Mill hemp protein powder (much cheaper and nutritionally better). This usually kept me until lunch. I definitely needed to plan a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack.

Now my sugar cravings are GONE and I'm satiated with far fewer calories, so I think my body has really equilibrated to this new metabolism. The low carb aspect of this diet has been good for me because I'm borderline pre-diabetic (115 mg/L glucose and A1C of 5.9%).

As others have noted here, my weight did seem to plateau and maybe even creep up a couple times during the 21 days, but the overall trend was downwards. I really think it takes your body chemistry some time to adapt (on a cellular level) its mechanisms to process the different style of fuel coming in.

The only "forbidden" food I have added back in regularly has been 1/4 c whole milk in my morning coffee. I have not eaten bread since Jan 2 and don't miss it. I'm eating only 1/4 c dry per day of grains (brown rice or quinoa or millet or buckwheat groats). I try to base lunch on raw greens (big salad with something like chick peas or lentils in it) and include cooked greens (spinach; chard etc) with dinner, which will have a protein and a nutritious carbohydrate (sweet potato; squash; beets). If you like to experiment with food preparation, look for tips and recipes online from the vegan (no eggs/dairy) and gluten-free (no wheat) communities. Also, the raw food community has some interesting ideas (buckwheat groats; sprouting; dried kale chips). Author Robin Robertson has a new cookbook out on nut butters that I want to get. Also, breaking the habit of "dessert for breakfast" as she discusses in the book was big for me.

Anyway, these are just some things that worked for me. I hope this is helpful!
  • EatingWellToo
    EatingWellToo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    p.s. Vickie I'm definitely interested in continuing the thread; have just been on extended travel :)
  • Flabby2Fabulous289
    Options
    i use unsweetened almond milk.
  • amandajayne11
    amandajayne11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My book is in the post... :) I'd love to hear how everyone is doing and make new friends. I know I have food intolerances and I feel better when I avoid wheat, eggs, dairy, yeast and brazil nuts (I had blood tests that pin-pointed these foods - but a few years ago now so they may have changed). I avoided them for a couple of years and thought it was safe to eat them again. All seemed well for a while but I guess I wasn't completely healed and I am probably overeating them now. I think it's about time I did a proper challenge with these foods and also healed my gut properly. I'm hoping this book will give me the advice to do this. I do find the taking glutamine powder has really helped improve my tolerance to problem foods (I just need to get back to taking it regularly!).
  • monnyq
    monnyq Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I'm not viewing much traffic in this group but I'm on day 12 of the virgin diet. Life is good so far. I've been able to drop 8 pounds after being in a terrible plateau for over 3 months. I'm looking forward to introducing new things in my diet. Hoping that some of you out there are still tracking the virigin diet...
  • GoddessAmy
    GoddessAmy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    I am on day five and have lost 5 lbs, so I'm hoping there are others out there using this who would like to share the journey. It doesn't look like anyone has poste for a couple months.

So far, the shakes are great! I am making my own with rotating Rice Milk, coconut milk, almond milk. I mix in greens (spinach usually) or "super greens" powder, berries and or banana, dark chocolate powder, chia or sesame seeds, ground flax, quinoa flour, chipped ice and water if too thick. Am going to try almond butter tonight. So far, all the mixes have been delicious, sooo much better than some of the premade shakes.

I'll post for a while to see if anyone is out there - so let me know!
    Amy
  • NatureWildchild
    NatureWildchild Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    DON'T - GIVE - UP!! I finally got my copy of The Virgin Diet book... and I'm reading it now !!

I was actually in the mindset of trying to find foods, or a way of eating, that reduced inflammation/arthritis symptoms in my joints. Arthritis is very bad in my genetic tree. My "theory" was that there had to be foods that could reduce inflammation... however what I landed on was this issue of foods that "cause" inflammation. Hence the Virgin Diet book accidentally emerged.

I came across the JJ Virgin, Virgin Diet book, while looking for books on the Macrobiotic way of eating - and of course instantly hated the name of the book (didn't realize it was her name). Too cheeky sexual, it just annoyed the crap out of my prudish side. *yes i have a prudish side.. that co-exists nicely with my outrageous ho side* :-}

Anywho, ...I picked up the book to leaf quickly through it, and actually saw some things I.. *gasp*.. liked. I put it back on the shelf, too dang cheeky - and moved on. Visions of a chart she'd listed of appealing sources of calcium instead of cow dairy calcium haunted me. SO, I went BACK to the bookstore.. just to take a cell phone photo of that list in her book. DARN me for still hating that book title - and I left.

I started researching the book more online - and THAT is where I found out it was her name!! *argh* Okay now I can only give her nods for using the ploy as a marketing tool. *dagnabbit* Apparently she is well known, and I'm sure if I had TV for any of the past decade.. I'd have known that. *oh well*

So I found a YouTube video of her being interviewed for some radio show, yet it was taped with the DJ and then her on her laptop camera. LOVED IT. This gal is SO right on, it is easy to see the marketing BS versus what is actual facts - so okay I'm in. I went back to the bookstore - the book is SOLD OUT. I order the book, but continue to view and read information on it to grasp the concept of what to expect when the book came. I also (knowing how I am) .. know I must actually get rid of anything in the cupboards, fridge, and freezer of the Naughty 7 No-No's.. which are *gasp*.. Eggs, Dairy, Corn, Soy, Sugar/Sweeteners, Gluten and Peanuts. My daughter and grandbrat LOVED the food donation. :)

If you would have asked me last Sunday morning if I really ate soy or corn - I'd have told you No. Actually out of all the things on the list, I thought those two items would be the breeziest things to get rid of. Actually they have been the HARDEST. As I went through the cupboard and read labels.. soy and corn products are in EVERYTHING. I felt the panic set in. =O

Still, being brave - I put them all in the giveaway bag. If I had them, I'd use them. They had to go.

I saw J.J. did this protein stuff for a breakfast smoothie.. but instead I researched protein mixes that met the criteria of the book.. and came across some great information. Based on reviews, I went to The Vitamin Shop and got two kinds. I must say that just winging it for smoothies in the morning instead of my former egg sandwich, was a bit of an adjustment Hmm - but I will say that in knowing what is IN the protein powder makes me comfortable, and after the first 4 days, I CAN say I made it over some sort of speed bump the last two days and that I can now FEEL I have more energy and mental clarity than before. Okay maybe it's just I have A/C on again after too many days of it being on the fritz... *shrug*

But what is REALLY impressive was the 3rd DAY of just following the general concept of what the book will require................ I lost one and a half inches around my waist, stomach and hips.. (and no it wasn't from the A/C being out). BUT...as far as the inflammation goes, which was the whole point.. I'd say 10-15% better, but again that is just starting to follow the concept of the book.

NOW, it has been one week and the book is now here.. I know that putting the No-No food in my mouth this week prior to "Officially" starting the "diet", has definitely kept my Buddah Belly from budging after that miraculous day 3 shrinkage.. but my goal? I want to be joint pain free, and even though I've just been leaning heavily toward what I know must do in a life change to what goes in my pie hole, I can say the improvement is already 20% in one week.

My stats?
    I'm 51 (5'11) - and need to lose 20 - 25lbs, which is mostly abdominal weight.

A week ago...
    Joint Pain/Inflammation - Not Good
    Bust: 40
    Waist: 35
    Buddah Belly: 39
    Hips: 44

One week later (after cutting out A LOT of the 7 No-No foods)
    Joint Pain - 20% Improved
    Bust: 40
    Waist: 34
    Buddah Belly: 38
    Hips: 34.5

As a footnote: I've not tried this Stevia, and not sure that I will. I hate the flavor of black licorice, which someone likened it too. I'm not keen on the negative health issues it can cause in SOME people, as I just feel I'd be in that percentage of people it doesn't go well for. I'm much more inclined to keep using Turbinado sugar, or Agave syrup - but will stay open to that.

As far as carrageenan in Coconut Milk for coffee creamer and other products, my research has found a lot of conflicting information on that. Most key being carrageenan (which is used), versus Poligeenan, which is a "degraded carrageenan" (and the alleged not cool). Anyway, not totally sure there needs to be a scare on it, but read and decide for yourself. http://www.foodprocessing.com/articles/2013/refuting-myths-about-carrageenan.html
  • GoddessAmy
    Options
    Hi - Great to hear your inflammation is beginning to go down. I am on Day 7 (had to break to go to my parents out of town to help them downsize their home - moving to retirement care facility. I had little control over what was to eat - no car as I rented a van to bring furniture home- and as you now well know there is Soy, Corn, gluten, dairy or sugar in almost everything out there!). So I re-started and am on day 8 and am really feeling better. I was taking 12-16 Ibuprofen a day for my back/neck/foot. I'm down to about 3. This is the first time I haven't felt sick after a week of dieting, but then my diets all consisted of those 'healthy' foods on the No-No list! Who knew?

I am finding more success since I INCREASED my calories at breakfast with a shake and a gluten free cracker with almond butter. I think I wasn't getting enough in the morning. Anyhow, I've lost 7 lbs (need to lose about 75-80 more) but am really approaching this to feel better as my stomach kept me up all night and I was to the point where I dreaded eating for the pain (even though eating was all I wanted to do), but knew I had to have food on my stomach to take the ibuprofen. What a vicious cycle. I am also feeling more energetic and getting more done. Hopefully this is the beginning of the road to recovery.

Regarding the Stevia, I'm with you - not thrilled with the taste - I can't seem to get to the point between not sweet enough and sickeningly sweet with it - gag. I don't recall the page (I'm at work) but somewhere in the sugar section JJ talks about Stevia and Xylitol and recommends using them together. I picked up a box of Xylitol with Stevia at the health food store - SOOOO much better than plain Stevia! It's much harder to find, but it's worth trying. Good luck with that.

I'm struggling with the suppplements in the type and quantity she described. I spent a ridiculous amount of money at the health store and still didn't get the right dosages. I think when they are gone I'm going to bite the bullet and order the supplements from JJ's site - it appears to be cheaper in the long run. If anyone had any suggestions about that, let me know!

Glad to hear someone's actively trying this - Hang in there and keep with it - I bet you'll see even more decrease in inflammation as time goes by!
  • CoozyRoo
    CoozyRoo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I just finished the book and I'm really excited/nervous to get started. My start date for the 21 day elimination is 7/8 since I have a vacation coming up. I'm now trying to prep everything and make sure I can succeed at this (I love researchig all the foods and grocery shopping). I have about 100+ to lose and feel that this would be a good starting point so that I can eliminate anything that could get in my way. I've already started the water schedule, 4x4 exercises and cutting down on things that will soon be gone so I don't miss them as much.

I'm glad to have a group to share this experience with!
  • GoddessAmy
    Options
    Hi, CoozyRoo! I'm Amy and I had 95 lbs to go but now am at 85 lbs to go! Yeah! I'm on day 16 and feeling much better. If you are interested, add me as a friend and we can do this together.

This is the first time in the last 35 years of dieting that I've felt really good on a diet! LOL - who knew. Hope you have the same results. I still need to ramp up on the water and the exercise, maybe with your encouragement I'll move ahead with that. I am definately moving more than I was, because it's just not so uncomfortable to do so. Stay with it, the first week is the hardest but then you get to the point where you really don't miss most of the food!
  • CoozyRoo
    Options
    Hi Amy, thanks, I just added you. Any extra support will be helpful. I'm officially starting Monday7/8 and this weekend I am stocking up on good foods, so I am not tempted or have any excuses. I think I'm most intimidated by the dairy and gluten elimination, because they have been such a big part of my life. They could also be hindering me too, so at the same time I'm excited to see how my body will respond.
  • GoddessAmy
    Options
    I thought the same - that and eggs, but dairy is easier than I thought it would be most of the time. I still miss cheese on Pizza etc. Gluten is not hard at home, but it's hard on the go - some sandwhich shops only have sandwiches and gluten wraps. That and when I'm with my son's soccer team and they go to a small pizza joint - slim pickings to avoid gluten and cheese.

I tried reintroducing eggs - my face broke out, my joints started aching, and I tossed and turned all night. Surprise - intolerance! I really didn't expect that one. It's tough because eggs are in so many things. Oh well, I can try again in 6 months. This Friday i am trying my gluten test. I really hope that isn't a problem, because we are going on vacation to whale camp (that's for Marine Biology - not fat people - LOL!) in the north atlantic and there is no menu - you get what they cook for the whole camp. So I'll have 2 weeks of mistakes and will have to do my 21 day total Top 7 avoidance all over again, but at least that will get some of the weight off if I gain on vaca. Still, I'm pretty psyched that I can be at least somewhat faithful to the plan. My goal is to gain no more than 2 lbs. I know that sounds sad, but I'm really trying to be realistic.
  • CoozyRoo
    Options
    Good luck with your gluten reintroduction and with camp. My vacation was crazy and off track but because of the extra movement I was getting, it actually evened out (thankfully). Shopping was crazy, even Trader Joes was like a minefield. All of the things that have hidden soy, sugar, eggs are just everywhere. I'm going to search through whole foods next and see if I can find more options.
  • GoddessAmy
    Options
    Thanks! I'm slowly navigating the foods that are not on the no-no list. I have yet to find an alternative to peanut butter that doesn't include sugar except at the health food store, but haven't tried Trader Joes. We don't have any Whole Foods near us - bummer. Still, I'm learning to navigate. I have a much harder time at restaurants. Dinner is easier than lunch with co-workers/friends, because there are a lot of places that only have sandwiches or wraps with gluten. I never realized how most salads include dairy, either! But it's becoming more habitual, and I'm finding that I can just say - "oh, I can't eat gluten" or soy or eggs etc and it's pretty much accepted at face value.

You sound like you did great on vacation. That's fantastic - you must be psyched. Hope it's easy to transition back to the no-no list!
  • CoozyRoo
    Options
    My favorite peanut butter alternative has been Almond Butter, is you have a Costco you can get too it is reasonably priced too. The brand is Maranatha and the only ingredient is almonds (makes me think it might be easy just to make my own too). I'm officially on day 4 of the full elimination and I feel really good. I was nervous that I would want to get into things, especially since I still have to be around it with cooking for the family and prepping lunches but I haven't even had cravings.

Going out to eat is definitely a big fear of mine, I will try and plan ahead and check wherever it is on-line first and see what I can have and then double check ingredients once I actually order too.
  • CoozyRoo
    Options
    I wanted to add another peanut free option, Nuttzo. It's pretty good but a bit pricey on-line right now.

75% Daily Value of Omega 3 ALA per serving.

100% Organic Ingredients: Almonds, Cashews, Brazil Nuts, Pumpkin Seeds, Chia seeds, Flax Seeds, Hazelnuts, Sea Salt