I am running a 10k on Sunday - July 7 - any tips?

Options
hope002
hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
I started c25k this February and finished it near the end of March. Since then I have been running 3 times a week - speed intervals on Tuesdays, 5k on Fridays and longer runs on Sundays (went from 6k to 10k from April to now). Last Sunday I ran 10k in 1:04:28.

If my training time was that, what would my race time be? would it be less?

Any tips or advice for the race day or night before?

Replies

• fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey..

So, try to run the first 5k at comfortable pace and increase 10-15s your pace in the last 5k...

Don't forget to eat well in the day before and drink water..

And the most important.. enjoy the race... :wink:
  • hope002
    Options
    Hey..

So, try to run the first 5k at comfortable pace and increase 10-15s your pace in the last 5k...

Don't forget to eat well in the day before and drink water..

And the most important.. enjoy the race... :wink:
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Your race pace is likely to be a little better as you are, well, racing! Keep your gaze up and out, like a block away. Looking down restricts oxygen to your lungs. Stay loose and have fun!
  • hope002
    Options
    Your race pace is likely to be a little better as you are, well, racing! Keep your gaze up and out, like a block away. Looking down restricts oxygen to your lungs. Stay loose and have fun!
    Thanks, I will try to remember that :)
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Run a 5K easy and slow on Friday, don't run or workout on Saturday, rest up for the race. Do a 10-15 minute easy warmup jog just before the race. Good luck.
  • hope002
    Options
    Run a 5K easy and slow on Friday, don't run or workout on Saturday, rest up for the race. Do a 10-15 minute easy warmup jog just before the race. Good luck.

Thanks for saying this :). It's exactly what I was planning to do, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to run 5k on Friday.
    I heard that higher carb diet the day before will help as well. Is that true?
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

Thanks for saying this :). It's exactly what I was planning to do, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to run 5k on Friday.

The important thing is to rest up, run easy or not at all.

Probably not much carbo loading needed for a 10K. Eat normal carbs, and have about 300 calories and hour or two before the race.
  • hope002
    Options

The important thing is to rest up, run easy or not at all.

Probably not much carbo loading needed for a 10K. Eat normal carbs, and have about 300 calories and hour or two before the race.
    Thanks
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are ready to me!!! Practice, practice, practice!!! Take the day before the race off, and you will surprise yourself!!!
  • hope002
    Options
    I did it in 1:00:01 :). When approaching the finish line I saw the time 1:00:15 and I thought - well it's already above 1hour and didn't try too hard. I forgot the whole chip timing thing (this is my first race). I could've put a little more effort and finish under 1 hour. But I am still very proud. I ran the whole time.
    '
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    congrats! great time for first race!
  • hope002
    Options
    congrats! great time for first race!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I did it in 1:00:01 :). When approaching the finish line I saw the time 1:00:15 and I thought - well it's already above 1hour and didn't try too hard. I forgot the whole chip timing thing (this is my first race). I could've put a little more effort and finish under 1 hour. But I am still very proud. I ran the whole time.
    '

Been wondering how you did. AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hope002
    Options
    '

Been wondering how you did. AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Top work, I sense that this will give you added motivation to push on and then get sub 60mins and keep pushing on.
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job!!!!!!! You have inspired me to up my mileage and start training for a fall 10K (bucket list item). WTG!! :happy: