Food item of the weeeeeeeeeeeek

Options
Beckilovespizza
Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
Hi Guys,
Just thought as this was a UK group we could share low fat/low calorie food items or meal ideas as our Stateside friends have different supermarkets....
I thought that you maybe interested that Be Good to Yourself low fat sausages at Sainsburys are very yummy! With veggies and a Yorkshire pud they make a really low calorie alternative to a roast dinner :)
Please let me know if you have any ideas!
Thanks!!
Beckilovespizza (and burgers) xx

Replies

• Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Nice idea :)

For single food items I love to munch on dutch crisp breads they're like 30cals per bread and yummy with a little bit of marmite on top :)
  • cynthiapick
    cynthiapick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am eating a lot of chicken in various guises. Some of the cook in sauces are really not too high, makes a lovely meal with rice or potatoes and some veg. Different tastes works well for me.
  • cynthiapick
    Options
    Oh, I almost forgot, Aldi sell a low fat grated cheese, great for making toasties with ham, tomato etc.
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    Cheeeeeeeeeeeese my fav! lol

I find that BBC Good Food have some fab low cal recipes its where most of my inspiration comes from :)
  • mitfam
    mitfam Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Freeze a whole unpeeledd banana. It tastes like banana ice cream, I promise you. (Remember to peel it first before eating it silly!) Also Sainsbury's L F fromage frais with low cal/sugar chocolate Options mixed in (the white choc is particularly yummy). Eat on its own or delish with great strawberries!

Sainsbury' s had a glut of strawberries recently so I bought 10 punnets, (10p a punnet!! Late evening is a good time to get special offers etc) pureed some and poured into ice cube tray to use for smoothies or milk shakes, also froze some solid for same thing or to use as ice cubes in low sugar/cal water, sparkling or still.
  • mitfam
    Options
    R*****d y predictive text!!!!! That should read fresh strawberries. Aaaaargh
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Lovely, that sounds yum, I'll give it a try!

I've just learnt that mini milks are only 30 cals! Good for us with all the great weather!
  • mitfam
    Options
    I've also discovered the art of lettuce leaves as mini wraps or cups. Little gem are good for 'cups' and romaine lettuce are long enough for the wraps. I cook up some brown basmati rice in coconut milk and dry fry chicken peices or Sainsbury basic shrimp in some red curry thai paste with coconut milk, cook for few minutes, then pile on the cooked rice into one leaf 'cup' of lettuce add the chicken or shrimp curry and a squeeze of lime. Mmmmm. We had these as part of our pic-nic on Sunday. They were delicious cold. I also made a mango and red and yellow pepper 'salsa' to go with......... For the wraps I mixed drained tuna (in brine) with chopped tomato, spring onion, cucumber, and a little light mayo together and wrap the tuna filling in the romaine lettuce leaves. Yum yum!!
  • Mrsshellers
    Options
    Oooh I love mini milks and I am defo going to try the banana thing - do they go black in the freezer? Is that a really stupid question?!

If you are feeling like you need a chocolate hit then I totally recommend the Müllerlight Desserts they are 99cals each and the Mischievous Milk Chocolate Dessert is my fav! They also come in white chocolate and fudge flavour too! :)

Also Mooroo frozen yoghurt is AM.AZ.ZING!
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I often make a low calorie veggie soup if I've had a particularly high calorie day, or a day when my veggies have been non-existant. Some of the soupes...golden vegetable soup (carrots, potato, onion), split pea, butternut squash, lentil...really whatever I fancy or what I have in the house. I've also tried some of the Gillian McKeith (you are what you eat) soup recipies. Some strange combinations but really nice.
    They make a low calorie meal for the end of the day.

Barb
  • stayingatgoal
    Options
    I pop a muller light yogurt in the freezer for 3 hrs . also i let a sugar free jelly half set whisk it up stir in a muller light yogurt and leave to set.
  • monartlady
    monartlady Posts: 21
    Options
    During this heatwave, here's something to keep you cool, and keep your mouth busy. Put some grapes in the freezer.
    Love the idea of the banana in the freezer too, must try that!
  • mitfam
    Options
    The bananas do discolour frozen but not black. The jelly mousse can also be made with low fat fromage frais and if you make up a big bowl, slurped on for the next few days straight from the fridge. Does anyone make the no pastry quiche? There's always one in my fridge once a week. I have a recipe if anyone wants to try it :) I also have a fajita spice mix recipe that I rub into fish or chicken or any other meats really before grilling or roasting. It's really gorgeous.
  • marysowter
    marysowter Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I thought you would all enjoy my low fat mouse.You need a low sugar jelly make it as directed but only add 300ml of water(not a pint) add two muller light yogurts any flavour .I like cherry! add your yogurts to your prepared jelly,pour in to a bowl and place in your fridge until it sets.You can all so pour the mixture in to lolly moulds and put in to your freezer .Both are delicious and only 202 calories for the whole dish or depending on your portions 33 calories x 6 portions.lollies 25 calories x 8.Hope you enjoy xxx
  • marysowter
    marysowter Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For got to say this mouse all so works with any yogurt same principle xx
  • lmethven
    lmethven Posts: 16
    Options
    I am been enjoying munching peas in their pods as an snack
  • mitfam
    Options
    The pea pod snacking sounds yum. I like the frozen grape idea too. :)
  • cynthiapick
    Options
    Hello
    I would love your recipe for no pastry quiche if possible, it sounds right up my street.
    By the way you have got some great ideas, keep them coming
    Thanks
    Cynthia
  • mitfam
    Options
    HEY HEY HEY! Sainsburys are currently doing a special on Walls mini twister lollies, strawberry and lemonand lime and lemon, a third off. They are delicious, 45 cals each :)
  • lmethven
    lmethven Posts: 16
    Options
    ooooohhh I love twisters.. think I might have to stop off on the way home for some of them, thanks for the post :-)