Given the option...

Options
Coach had a WOD set-up for last Wed... Lots of overhead lifting. I was excited and couldn't wait to get there and knock it out as my final work out of the week... Would that be WOK? Anyway...

I was the only one at the class and he presents me with an option of the WOD, as planned, or 45 min of burpees just him and I.

Before I knew it...out of my mouth comes burpees (which I detest). So we get ready to get started and through my mind I am self loathing and asking myself WTH is wrong with me.

230 burpees in 45 min.

In the end.... I am proud of myself for chosing the road less traveled. Burpees do not own me.

Replies

• happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    And that is why we love CrossFit.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Coach had a WOD set-up for last Wed... Lots of overhead lifting. I was excited and couldn't wait to get there and knock it out as my final work out of the week... Would that be WOK? Anyway...

I was the only one at the class and he presents me with an option of the WOD, as planned, or 45 min of burpees just him and I.

Before I knew it...out of my mouth comes burpees (which I detest). So we get ready to get started and through my mind I am self loathing and asking myself WTH is wrong with me.

230 burpees in 45 min.

In the end.... I am proud of myself for chosing the road less traveled. Burpees do not own me.

This would kill me. But now I have a target to shoot for.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Forty-five minutes of burpees? That's crazy... you'd think he could have given you a little variety! Maybe even an extended baseline?
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options

230 burpees in 45 min.

You can do it! Trust me.... I my head was saying.... HAIL NO! There is no way I can do this. Coach said just try to shoot for 5 burpees in a minute. When you break it down into smaller chunks, it is more attainable. I took it 10 burpees at a time. I did 5, caught my breath and did another 5... Then put a tally on the board for my 10.

The success is such a high! Funny thing is I haven't een done the 7 min burpee WOD yet. Before this... I was thinking the 7 min would be tough. (Which I am sure it is b/c I would be wanting to do more than 5/min)
  • georgie304
    Options
    Forty-five minutes of burpees? That's crazy... you'd think he could have given you a little variety! Maybe even an extended baseline?

So challenging and so rewarding. I HATE Burpees! ..... But they don't own me. Now I can claim victory.

Which is why I think he gave this specific challenge to me. I faced it. I won!
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

230 burpees in 45 min.

You are a better person that I! I love overhead lifts and absolutely HATE burpees. I give you so much credit for choosing the *kitten*-kicker like that and slaying it! Awesome job!
  • YpsiChris
    YpsiChris Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So challenging and so rewarding. I HATE Burpees! ..... But they don't own me. Now I can claim victory.

Which is why I think he gave this specific challenge to me. I faced it. I won!

For me - a newcomer to the world of CrossFit - this is what it's all about - facing that thing that scares you head on and beating it.

Good for you!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options

230 burpees in 45 min.

OMG - that is all ....
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Mummy. O-mi-GAWD!
  • georgie304
    Options
    I love CF! Every WOD is killer b/c you go ballz to the wall every single workout no matter what it is.

And it always ends in immense gratification!

I love having a place to come and share something and that people will "get it". My friends and family don't have a clue what it means when I discuss what a WOD was.

Like yesterday... I get in there and see 400m run 150 KG Swings 400m for time..... I'm going 150 KB Swings...in a row...back to back...nothing in between....150 KBS..... • IN • A • ROW • Family and friends...that means nothing to.... I'm going...for real?! Can't you give me like a 21•15•9 mix up with something else? 150 KBS..in a row? LOL

I did it. I survived. I feel amazing!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

230 burpees in 45 min.

You can do it! Trust me.... I my head was saying.... HAIL NO! There is no way I can do this. Coach said just try to shoot for 5 burpees in a minute. When you break it down into smaller chunks, it is more attainable. I took it 10 burpees at a time. I did 5, caught my breath and did another 5... Then put a tally on the board for my 10.

The success is such a high! Funny thing is I haven't een done the 7 min burpee WOD yet. Before this... I was thinking the 7 min would be tough. (Which I am sure it is b/c I would be wanting to do more than 5/min)

Believe me, I can't. We had a WOD last week that started with a 500m rowing sprint, 4 minute rest, then as many burpees as you could do in 5 minutes. I managed to get 35 and I was dying at the end.

That said I banged out 10 yesterday warming up and they felt easier, so I know I can get there and that I WILL get there.

I"m only 3 weeks in though, so I'm willing to be patient and keep working hard.
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    Our July 4th WOD was:

400m run
    7 rope climbs
    400m run
    17 HSPU
    400m run
    76 kettle bell swings (53/35)
    400m run
    237 burpees

The burpees were awful. Toward the end I'm not even sure mine looked like burpees but rather a controlled collapse to the floor followed by a struggle to stand and jump 1/2 inch off the floor.
  • georgie304
    Options
    Controlled collapse to the floor. LOL

I never said my burpees looked sexy or were proper.... We all do our very best for our level.

That is a monster WOD! Undoubtedly, you were dead afterwards...but I bet you felt amazing and accomplished! WTG!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    That is awesome that you took the challenge! I'd like to think I would be that brave, but just threw up in my mouth a little at the thought of 45 minutes of burpees.
  • fakeittomakeit
    fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just doing 90 burpees as part of my WOD today (30 per round/3 rounds total) almost killed me! The most I had ever done before was 50. I don't know if I would do the burpee option after today. Nicely done!!!
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options

230 burpees in 45 min.

You are a better person that I! I love overhead lifts and absolutely HATE burpees. I give you so much credit for choosing the *kitten*-kicker like that and slaying it! Awesome job!

DITTO!! I commend you for taking on that challenge!

Our box is tiny (around 60 people) and I am THE absolute slowest at burpees. A few months back when our WOD B for the day was 100 burpees, it took all the strength I had to not walk right out the door. Took me 14:42 to get them all done. The fastest person did them in 4:56. I don't think she's quite 100% human, lol.