Intro & weigh in

jencupkey
jencupkey Posts: 7 Member
Hello everyone, I started this thread for introductions and as a great place to record your starting weight and measurements. We are starting this challenge on Monday, July 8, 2013, but feel free to join in anytime if you haven't had a chance to pick up the book or if you are an experienced shredder!

Also, make your you set a SMART Goal for yourself. If you would like to share it with the group so we can cheer you on, add it to the SMART Goal thread!

Happy shredding!!

Replies

• jencupkey
    Good morning shredders!

I am starting this 6-week challenge today, 7/8/13 and am hoping to see a drastic change on the scale and in the mirror! I am happy to report that I have started off the challenge with a bang... did all of my grocery shopping yesterday so no excuses there, went to a Zumba class this morning so I have done my cardio (and then some!), I logged my starting weight with MyFitnessPlan, and I am excited about this challenge!

Happy Shredding!
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    This week I am 'retooling' myself in preparation for starting Shred (again) next Monday. Too many birthdays in may and June and then vacation and I am totally out of the 'diet' concept and Shred takes concentration to do it correctly.....The first time through I was so anal for 5 weeks and then couldn't handle W5 snacks and so stretched things a bit .....w6 totally fell apart.....

This time I am going to try to be a very good girl (you guys hold me to that) for 2 weeks....W3 we'll see....it's very tough and the first time through i almost didn't make it....I'll do my best though....

I just know that when i am on it and eating healthy I feel so much better....too much 'junky' stuff the past 6 weeks....

there are some mistakes in the book too.......if you haven't found this out, let me know and I can see if I can find the paper w/ them on it.....

good luck....
  • jencupkey
    That sounds like a good plan flpslp87!

I would love to hear about the mistakes you found... This is my first time reading / following this book. :-)
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Here are some questions and answers from the FB page.

Is there a calorie limit we should aim for with our 100% whole wheat or whole grain bread?

2. What if we are gluten-free, what options are best (some of those options are more caloric?) the bread should be 100 cals or less per slice. If you are gluten free, make the necessary substitutions as close to the suggested cals as possible. You might have a few more calories, but that's ok.

#3: Should we limit starchy veggies, like carrots or corn, or are they OK to have regularly? They are okay. If you can increase the amounts of green leafy veggies, that would give you added benefits, particularly the detoxifying effects and the fiber.

#4. Can we have plain kefir in our smoothies and shakes? yes, you can have kefir, but be mindful of the calories.. no more than 1/2 cup per smoothie

#5. Why are there potatoes in the soup recipes when the daily plans call for soup with no potatoes? Can we have the potatoes in your recipes? That was an editorial glitch. That being said, having the potatoes in your soup occasionally is NOT going to have a negative impact.

6. Are we eating enough protein to keep us from losing muscle? Should we have more protein shakes than smoothies, so we're having less carbs? You will get plenty of protein with the plan. You DEFINITELY will not be losing muscle mass.

#7. When it comes to sodium, should we limit ALL meals to 480 mg or under or is that just soup? If the soup has less than our amount of calories (under 200 calories) but would have more sodium than 480 mg, due to multiple servings, is that OK? As long as the sodium per serving stays under 480 mg? The key is to keep the per serving to under 480 mg. The overall goal is to keep your sodium to 1500 mg or less total in one day!

#8. What if we can’t split the exercise into two sessions? Do we do one longer session? Yes a longer session is fine for the exercise if you can't split it into 2 sessions. Just make sure you work hard the entire time.

9. Why is weight training discouraged? In cycle two and beyond when we begin to weight train, what do you recommend? It's not completely discouraged, I just want you to focus on cardio to start. I don't want you to take away from cardio. But if you can balance weight training with the cardio, then I'm fine. The other thing is that when you weight train, make sure you do light lifting. You want the muscle burn, not the bulk.

10. Is the 1 cup of spaghetti noodles supposed to include the meatballs? If not how many meatballs are we allowed, as 2 meatballs fill up 1 cup? no it doesn't include meatballs. You can have 2 small meatballs.

11. Do we weigh meat after cooking? meat is weighed after cooking

12. Starting in Week 3, sometimes veggies or fruits aren't listed as an option for our meals, though in the beginning of these chapters it says to have them with our liquid options. We have been excluding them and following the 'daily' plans, is that correct? Following the daily plans is always a good thing.

13. The soup recipes say 1-1/2 cups are a serving (for example, chicken noodle) and 4 servings in the recipe. Should we measure that equally into 4 servings, which is more than 1 1/2 cups, or limit ourselves to 1-1 1/2 cups? Is 1 cup 200 calories? limit to about 1-1.5 cups. Depending on the soups that's about 200 calories.

14. Week 5 questions: Can we have the cranberry and tea in between meals, or must they be during meals? What about if people can't find these products? You can have the cranberry and tea between meals for sure. You can find these products at places like Trader Joes, Whole Foods, small, local health food stores. Also, must be 100% hibiscus (you can sub green tea for this and 100% grape juice for the cran juice) ALSO, Dr. Smith made a correction...it's 2 teaspoons of flaxseed oil or ground flaxseed, not 2 tablespoons.

15. Some days it doesn't list the tea, but we're still to have it every day week 5, correct? If it doesn't say you drink the tea for a day, then you don't drink it. If you want to drink the tea instead of the cranberry juice, then that is fine.

16. Week 6 questions: Is the lemon water every day? It's not listed day 1 or 2. Are the three pieces of bread Week 6 day 1 only? If you want it everyday, that's completely fine, whether listed or not. Yes on the bread question. Take each day as written.

17. Many shredders dislike the taste of fat free salad dressings. Is there an alternative, like low fat? #18. For our large salads (in week 4), can we add fruit, nuts or protein? 17 yes, low fat is fine, just be mindful of the recommended quantity, Q#18 You can always add fruit and as far as nuts, 1/4 cup can be added. You may add a small amount of chicken or fish.

19. Many of us are wondering about special events, like tonight's Super Bowl. If we go 'off' for one meal or one day, what are some helpful tips? Redo the day? Drink more water the next day, or maybe more exercise the next day? here's the super bowl deal. You can completely go off the plan, but you MUST get right back on it tomorrow. If you have the discipline to get back on, then that's completely fine. One meal or 1/2 a day is not going to hurt you. But PLEASE don't go crazy. We have a bigger mission than a SuperBowl which will be over in just a few hours of starting.
    Like · Follow Post · Report · June 30 at 12:09pm