New Here needing GF Friends and shopping tips

Options
cwgrlfth
cwgrlfth Posts: 21 Member
:smile: I am new here and looking for more GF friends that maybe can become a support to each other. I am looking for tips for shopping new meal ideas and any suggestions that you may have for me.

Replies

• mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    You can add me. I'm new to wheat-free too. I'm on day 17 and so far, so good!
    Good luck,
    Margaret
  • Joydriven
    Joydriven Posts: 46
    Options
    For me, the best approach to gluten free is to strip everything away, bandaid approach, and add foods back in. I think of it as a fresh start of the very best healthy foods i can eat to make my body it's very very healthiest. Going from zero to the very best there is. I try hard not to look at it from the perspective of what I can not eat.

Im still not sure if I'm gluten intolerant but I followed Gittleman's Fat Flush program fifteen years ago and never felt better. It changed the way I ate totally. I slowly went back to most of my eating patterns but still knew in the back of my mind how I should be eating to feel my best.

Fast forward to this spring when I realized my thyroid issue, diagnosed Hasimotos by biopsy fifteen years ago,, is an autoimmune disease and often times linked to gluten sensitivities. And the diet recommended is exactly the same as the Fat Flush diet! Also similar to the Auto Immune Protocol.

Following Gittleman's protocol was such a drastic change from how I was eating and at the time not easy but so worth it.

So my suggestion would be to consider to start afresh. A complete rebuild of your diet from all the wonderful healthy foods available that promote health. And not from one of what products should be eliminated. It, the band aid approach, worked for me.

And , basically, shop the grocery store perimeters and resist putting anything in a box into your cart unless it's to feed your pets or appliances.

Feel free to add me and much success!
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add! I'm starting GF soon.

I have found that, at least in my area, a lot of stores actually mark gluten free products! I was so excited to see that when I did some shopping last night. Makes it a ton easier and faster to find things.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    you can add me if you want as I'm allergic to gluten and the best way to stay gf is to start cooking all meals from scratch and been living gf for about 5 years.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Been GF for like 8 years or so now. I can honestly say it is not that big of a deal to do. Got the gene from Mom who is also Celiac (as are two brothers and a niece) and my mom is a cooking maniac. People do not even know they are eating GF when they have her food and she makes just about everything
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've been on gluten free for a week now. I'm looking for more GF friends too :) Feel free to add!!
  • donnasilvadelao
    donnasilvadelao Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You Can add me. I've been gluten free for 6 months :)
    Donna