harder over 40?

Options
Lunarbeanie
Lunarbeanie Posts: 107 Member
wow, I have lost about 50 lbs before, but I was in my 20s.
Now I have over 100 to lose, but holy cow it is slow.
Is this a me thing or are the over 40 bunch struggling with this, too?

Replies

• pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    It is harder, and I have found that I need to be far more disciplined now. I lost 50 lbs in my early thirties, almost effortlessly. Now I find that I need to be excessively disciplined and organized. My dietary needs are much different now, too. I find that I have to reduce my carb intake and up my protein to see results.
  • phoenix7039
    Options
    Definitely! I've found that it's even harder than in my 30's. My body processes food differently than when I was younger so I've had to completely change the way I eat and keep close track of my calorie intake to continue taking the weight off. Much slower going than when I was younger, but I'm getting there.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I lost so fast and easy several years ago (in 2006, I was 35). I don't know if it was because I had NEVER tried before, so the change in eating and exercise was a complete shock to my system or what. I kept it off for a while, but it's slowly crept back on until I was pretty much back up to where I was.

I don't know if it's being in my 40s (I'll turn 43 this year) or that my body acclimated to my exercise (I've stayed very active, but in quite a "routine rut" doing the same, steady stuff day after day) ... or just that I wasn't watching what I was eating. When summer rolled around and I couldn't fit into any of my clothes from last year, that's when I decided to really take action.

I joined MFP in May, started logging all my food and upping my exercise. I had pretty good success by the numbers (following the basic calories in calories out) for a few weeks (lost 10 pounds of a desired 45), but didn't lose ANY this past week (even though the numbers had me at over a 5000+ deficit for the week). A bit discouraging. Too early to call it a plateau, but I was really hoping to get a little further along before hitting any snags. I'm planning on plugging along ... Hoping to shake it up with the 30 Day Shred (there is a big group starting today).
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    In a word YES. It's those damn hormones !! :noway:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm stuck at the last 10 pounds. Been here for many moons.My efforts have been Herculean but the lowest I've been able to go is 128 pounds.

When I was 27 I got down to 117 pounds with what felt like very little effort. I went jogging a couple times a week and followed a sensible diet. Now...well, I guess maybe I just have to accept the extra weight. :sad:
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It can be done, slow and steady wins the race, it's a change for life and never give up !
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It is tough but you can do it! Slowly and forever beats quick and regaining. Just don't give up!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It is for sure much slower and also harder to keep off! I have learned that patience is the main thing at this age to reach your goal;)
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any trouble losing weight in my 40s until I became perimenopausal about a year ago. Since then it's been very hard to lose it and keep it off. I don't think it's any specific age, but rather the point in your particular life when your body starts to change. At least that's been my experience. At the beginning of 2010, I was 46, weighed 136 (about 20 lbs overweight), and knocked off all the excess weight in less than 2 months via a combination of Herbalife, the South Beach Diet, and exercise. I haven't used Herbalife again because it gets quite expensive with all the supplements, not to mention remembering to take them three times a day! However I'm having such a hard time losing now, even though I do at least 30 minutes of some kind of non-stop exercise almost every day and have an overall healthy diet, that I'm considering trying Herbalife again, at least for a couple months.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I really thought it was when I turned 40,, now that I am 42, this is the best I have ever looked or felt,,
    just takes some time to figure it all out,
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I think a hard part is the weight starts to redistribute in a way it didn't before. I have a large belly right now but I never used to and I've weighed more than this, unfortunately. Seeing myself look different to my own eyes has been maybe the thing to open my eyes to the need to get going on this commitment to a healthy lifestyle and stop messing around. Also, more stress in the 40's with age creeping up and bills and family issues...oh to be 18 again!
  • Xeldadog
    Xeldadog Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's been a rocky 6 months watching what I eat. I started Body Revolution, transitioned from WW to MFP, and started over on Body Revolution, never finishing the 3 month; the exercises were beyond my current abilities, particularly the ab exercises. In the past 6 months, I gained another five pounds, which I'm now at 158.8, the heaviest I've ever been. A month ago, I started C25k and working out 3 days in a strength training class. I've been great at tracking my calories though I've gone over at least 1-2 a week.

After a month, I thought I would at least see a 1lb loss, but alas, I cannot make the scale budge downward. I know the weight lifting is transforming fat into muscle, which means I'm becoming leaner though after 4 weeks. All this is to say what I've done in the past led to losing weight. Now, I'm working hard like I did when I was in my mid 30's to become fit, yet the results are completely different. I'm just starting this journey as I just turned 40 this year, so I have listen to my body and try some different approaches. My main goal is to become stronger, so whatever I do will honor this goal. Some days I get super discouraged.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Don't watch the clock, don't use the scale. Just do the work and eat right. Before ya know it you'll be there. I did 50 lbs in 4 months. Looked sickly though. I'm doing it slower this time
  • jo69
    jo69 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I can truly relate to this. In my 30's the weight just dropped quickly.now recently as back in March of this yr I found it hard to lose just one pound, but because elected to just eat healthy for life and exercise daily for my heart. This is a healthy lifestyle. In time it will come off and you will see it and feel it.
  • jo69
    jo69 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there...
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The answer is YES! In my 30's I dropped 50 lbs with no problem. Now I have those same 50 lbs to lose and it's much harder this time around.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am proof it can be done. My ticker is only recent, and I started my journey at a much higher weight. As others I had to be disciplined and deliberate. It has been slow, but I really watch my food choices (mostly eat clean), upped the protein, lowered the carbs and sugars. Of course along with a steady exercise routine (make sure it's something you enjoy). Find your balance and it will come off even if not as fast as it used to. "Break the unreasonable down into little reasonable chunks A big goal is only achieved when every little thing that you do do every day gets you closer to that goal":).
  • Amyzeppy
    Amyzeppy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It is definitely harder to lose in your 40's and I've also noticed that when I gain it all goes to my stomach now!! I try to run 3 - 4 days a week and walk on the other days which is helping me to maintain but I want to lose that last 15 or so pounds and don't know if I ever will!! I will continue to try though!! :ohwell:
  • Fancyface1972
    Fancyface1972 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Amyzeppy, you can do it! Being here everyone has a challenge they face and we are here to support each others goals. I felt the same as you, especially the weekend I didn't have to work and I ate over my calorie goal. When I made that post, the members here on MFP reminded me that the body responds to our emotional stress. My biggest challenge is my stomach as well, but everyday I work on it. It's tough, but I try to keep a positive attitude about it and not allow the challenge to overwhelm me. Don't give and keep trying. :)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It most certainly feels harder now I'm 43.

In my 20s I got away with murder. I ate what I liked, was never seen in a gym, but always came in around 120lb.
    From 30+ I slowly started gaining but could lose it quite quickly if I made an effort.

Now I really have to be quite disciplined to sort this out.