Exercise

Options
ksmom4
ksmom4 Posts: 46 Member
Has anyone noticed if when they work out that their weight loss is like someone without diabetes? I know that losing weight with diabetes is a bit harder as it does not seem to come off as quickly as those without----I wanted to know if the same thing applies with exercise/work out or if it still seems to be a bit more stubborn in leaving.

A friend posted that she was getting ready to do a 30DS (I had to ask what that was---maybe that is a bad sign I did not know what it meant).....30 day shred it is a fitness/exercise routine by Jillian Michaels from The Biggest Loser. Most saw inches come off and some pounds but, then their clothes were way looser--I know muscle weighs more than fat and I will be super happy with that.

I am thinking of trying it--not sure how I will fare with a bad back (failed 360 spinal fusion back surgery) but, hey, I am willing to give it a try just wondering if I should expect same results as non-diabetic. If anyone is interested in trying it with me, come join...I have the links for the 3 levels. (10 days each level)

Replies

• rajathwalharris
    Options
    Hey,
    I have tried 30 Day shred from Jillian Micheals...her other dvds are equally as challenging and very motivating....she has one that is more cardio based (i think it's called fat burn something??)....also has 30 day shred, one for just abs, one for just lower body....all very good. You will be happy with your results with the 30 day shred for sure!
    I belong to a Good Life here in Ontario....so prefer to be with others to work out with.....the whole support and energy in a fitness room pushes me more.... But as long as you are moving ...fitness is fitness right!
    I do agree that weight loss is slow either way....lol...diabetic or not.....it's because we are monitoring it and in some ways, not sure about you, but I am impatient.....but in time, your body will lose the battle and say, ok....fine....i'll let go of this weight....LOL.....
    Just do what makes you feel good....be happy in your skin in the now and you'll see with your healthy lifestyle changes...your body will adapt. Hope you are doing well.
    Raj
  • Starterbeauty
    Options
    I have been doing Insanity and running and still I don't see a significant drop on the scale like I would like. I'm only 13 days away from completing insanity and its a 63 day program and ppl normally lose like 30-40lbs. When I did insanity before I was diagnosed, 2 years ago I had lost 15lbs in the first 30 days but this time around I've barely lost 10 and I'm almost done. I ran for 3 weeks in conjunction with insanity because i wasnt seeing the weight lose i wanted but I stopped last week because my blood sugars were dropping to low with so much intense activity.. But while doing both I saw myself gain, not lose.. So I'm finding that this process is way harder as a diabetic no matter what exercise I do.. I'm slowly losing all hope and motivation :(
  • ksmom4
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I figure that I am going to give it my best--or at least try my best considering my injury. I have no idea where my weights are--have not seen those in years...not that it matters as I am on weight lift/carry etc restriction due to my injury. I figure a couple of cans of soup will work for me--just have to make sure they are the same flavor!

Wish me luck---I really want to fit into the size below by the end of the summer.
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I do couch to 5K at the moment and I'm on week 4, so doing more running than walking now, I also do a zumba session once or twice a week. This has helped me loose 6lbs so far in the last three weeks. I know weight doesn't come off as easy when your diabetic or over 40, but all I keep thinking is at least it's coming off. I am 6lbs lighter than I was three weeks ago and that makes me very happy.
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    speaking of low sugars and weight loss.....remember that as a T1....you need to make sure your BG's are as normal as possible. The more lows you have....and constantly treating them....causes weight gain.....we all need to keep consistent with our BG's because if the readings are not in that consistent spot......then weight loss will be very slow. I have cut back on my insulin quite a bit since working out...and i am now finding that the weight is coming off.. Hang in there, it will happen!
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    Calling all T1's......how are you all doing? Haven't heard anything....hope all is well with you. Drop us all a line and let us know about your progress or vent on anything that might be frustrating you....we will get through it all! Happy Tuesday! :)
  • ksmom4
    Options
    I am not sure if this really belongs under this topic or not but, I am very excited/happy.....

I got some new capri to wear and I got them in a smaller size--they were very tight, you
    know the suck in gut while laying on the bed to zip them up type of tight :wink:

Well, today I put them on and none of that...oh yeah, happy dance now! They are
    still snug but, the snugness is going in the correct direction which is away from me!
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    That's awesome!!!! So proud of you!!! That's the best feeling especially since all your hard work and efforts are paying off....
  • ksmom4
    Options
    Thank you. I am so excited about this...gives me motivation