5k in 8 weeks too ambitious?

seearainbow
seearainbow Posts: 57 Member
Hello!

I just restarted the c25k program this week after vacation. I had only gotten a week and a half in before. I really want to sign up for a 5k to motivate myself, but the latest one scheduled for my area is the weekend I am supposed to finish week 9. Is this unrealistic, or were most of you actually able to complete a 5k after 9 weeks?

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Are you open to walking part of the 5K or do you want to run the whole thing?
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    I agree. It is perfect timing. Just be open to walking some if you need to. The self-permission is important. You may or may not need it.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Here's my advice: DO IT. Here's my advice part b: (And I'm assuming this is your first 5k?) Make your goal to simply finish it. If you have 8 weeks you certainly have the time to be up to it in relation to c25k...but here's the thing...c25k builds you up to running 30 minutes straight, not necessarily 3 miles. It depends on your speed. Personally I've done 10+ 5ks and still haven't ran the whole thing and haven't touched 30 minutes for a 5k. My very first 5k I signed up for (because it was a really cool big st patrick's day one and I really wanted to do it!) was at the end of my 3rd week of c25k....so you're WAY ahead of the game there haha! I think that you should do the 5k, just be prepared to walk some of it if necessary. What I found helpful in my first 5k was to use run/walk intervals...not necessarily timed ones, but visual ones. My first 5k was in a major city, so I used the street lights. I ran between the first set, walked the next ones, etc etc.

My motto: Run when you can, walk if you have to, but don't quit. Finishing is the goal, not necessarily running 100% of it. Aim to finish, enjoy the race day atmosphere, soak up experience, and most importantly have fun!
  • seearainbow
    seearainbow Posts: 57 Member
    I think I'd be okay with walking some of it..I mean, heck, when I started, even running for 60 seconds was pushing it for me!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    I think I'd be okay with walking some of it..I mean, heck, when I started, even running for 60 seconds was pushing it for me!

In that case, sign up for it now! Set your goal and train hard! You can so do it!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member

In that case, sign up for it now! Set your goal and train hard! You can so do it!!

I totally agree - do it. My first 5K I just walked with a couple of friends. That's what originally got me interested in running.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I think that many people would be able to run an entire 5k by the end of week 9. Probably not in 30 minutes, though.

Isn't it crazy though? Yesterday, I did one minute intervals (sprint for one minute, walk for one minute, repeat 8 times). I felt pretty good about them. And then I remembered my first run in the Couch to 5k program, back in December...was one minute.

It was many things but it sure was NOT a sprint :) And I wouldn't have been able to repeat it 8 times in 16 minutes. It was such a great reminder of what C25k has made me capable of.