How many grams of carbs do you eat? I'm confused!

Options
ShannonKirton
ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
So going paleo was a pretty great idea and so far I feel awesome. The food is also great and I'm happy to say I've expanded my mind when it comes to trying new foods. My question is simple....how many grams of carbs do you eat in a regular day. I've read in a few places that you should try to keep your carbs under 100g which seems feasable, and this being my second week of paleo, I've done pretty well losing 2 pounds. In other forums while doing research however, I see people going as low as 20g of carbs and I wonder how they can still walk around! I work out 4 days a week and my workouts tend to be relatively intense. Advice please, cause I'm totally confused!!

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I use the recommendations and calculator from this:

http://eattoperform.com/2013/03/17/how-crossfit-athletes-should-do-a-calorie-deficit/

I've found that more carbs (especially at night or pre-wo) makes for better energy :happy: I used to stay under 100, but now I go for more like 150. For reference, I am 5'-2", female, 130lbs and I crossfit 4 days/week.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Is that link specific to crossfit athletes though? I don't do crossfit but my classes at the gym and my personal workouts still work up quite the sweat!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I think it could be applied to any intense training.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Ok great. Thanks for the link. So far it seems to recommend 150g of carbs for heavy trainers, so right now I'll try to stick around the 100g mark give or take a few grams in either direction. I'm still looking to lose weight and reach my ideal weight which is probably around the 150lb mark or so, but not sure.

This is also still a relatively new journey (paleo) for me, and I'm still in the "figure it out" stage. :)
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am between 50g and 100g every day... I think your goals are looking good!
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Thanks :) Having just used the calculator SnicciFit provided the link to, it recommends the same 100g that I'm aiming for now. :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it too much. Primarily because it is hard to get over 100 grams if you only eat veggies, nuts and berries.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It really can be a personal thing and an evolving thing. Early on, going low carb is difficult for most. I started out 100-150 - I am now easily able to go to 20g in a day and I have a TON of energy. I workout 5x a week very intense and prefer to burn my fat in workouts rather than glucose from carbs.
    This does require a person to have become fat adapted though and I don't recommend it early on. In the end sometimes higher carbs is better, but depending on your personal insulin sensitivity , you may need to be 50g or so to really get traction. It just depends is the real answer.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine between 60-80 grams but don't feel bad going higher on strenuous workout days. I try to have any fruit that I'm eating that day either before or right after my workout though.
  • ang3li
    ang3li Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do around 110 grams of carbs, i eat about 2200 calories
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set to 20% carb 40% protein 40% fat. It seems to be working pretty well. That tends to come out around 100-120g carbs a day (from veg/fruit - i love my bananas) on about 1800-2000 cals/day. I train 6 days a week. See how you go on 100g. I found when I went higher it had no positive effects on my energy for running or working out, but I think it's a very individual thing and may vary day to day even for one person. Sometimes I need to eat before I work out or I bomb-out energy wise. Good luck :)
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

http://eattoperform.com/2013/03/17/how-crossfit-athletes-should-do-a-calorie-deficit/

I've found that more carbs (especially at night or pre-wo) makes for better energy :happy: I used to stay under 100, but now I go for more like 150. For reference, I am 5'-2", female, 130lbs and I crossfit 4 days/week.

How does this apply to a crossfitter who needs to drop 40/50lbs of fat, as well as wanting to be stronger/fitter?
  • ThePrimalSpartan
    ThePrimalSpartan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, you carbs should be between 50-100g per day. 100-150g is maintenance.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm juggling my desire to improve performance at CF/weight lifting and my desire to lose weight and come off my bG meds (i'm t2 diabetic and still have a good 50 or more lb. to lose). Right now I've chosen to sacrifice some performance gains and focus on weight loss/tighter bG control. That means I'm eating lower-carb than my CF trainers would like; my goal is <50/day but it usually averages out to <100.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    100-150 should be good for the days you work out. Under 100 is fine for days you are less active.

I was a little carelessly low carb for a bit then tried some heavy squats and was fatigued 2 sets it. I realized i was already out of glycogen. Since I've been more mindfull of getting over 50 grams of carbs my workouts are going better.
  • ShannonKirton
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. Most days I will try to stay under 100g as mentioned so that I can still lose weight. Once I am happy with a certain size and number I will up the carbs a little so I can maintain. Everyone's advice has helped me a lot as I was pretty confused and worried that I was not on the right track. Thanks for your guidance :D
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

That link was really useful to me, thank you. I was always under the impression that I was not eating enough calories despite what MFP 'recommends'.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that was really useful info! I find it pretty easy to stay under 100g carbs for the day as I only really have high carb veggies with lunch.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I do 85g or less per day of carbs. More than that and I can't stop eating! I'm an endurance athlete (marathon runner trying to get into triathlons) and haven't had an issue with the lower carbs.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine under 75 per day and that seems to work the best for me.