The Power Curve

Options
mtcastillo86
mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
I discovered the power curve last week and learned that I wasn't putting my back into it. I'm all legs. Try as I might, though, I never do achieve the nice, symmetrical bell curve that the C2 website says is ideal. My power curve is almost always front heavy. The good news (I think) is that it is usually a smooth curve, as opposed to a sharp peak. Continuing to read on the C2 forums, though, and I see posts from pros who say a front heavy curve is okay. (Read even more, and you learn to separate the pros from the blowhards, but that's another subject.)

So I'm taking away from this that front heavy is okay, as long as my stroke is smooth. I did get a better feel for how the pull on the chain feels when I switch from legs to back to arms, and I pay more attention to keeping the force more consistent. Is that the point?

Any opinions from you experienced rowers on the power curve?

Replies

• LindaStL64
    LindaStL64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The power curve shouldn't be symetrical. Most of your power should be coming from your legs. So you should have a quick spike and then a gradual down turn as your back and arms engage.
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Here's C2's article about the force curve. (Sorry, I keep calling it the power curve, but that's not entirely accurate.)

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/tips-and-general-info/using-the-force-curve
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked the articles, but the basic I keep coming back to is that you should feel your lats hanging on the handle as though you're a kid hanging on the monkey bars. That requires you to keep your body in the forward position until you've pushed through with your legs. Then you can start your swing.

I apologize if I have said this before. I have to relearn it about once a week, because I start concentrating on other aspects of the stroke. Then someone brings me back to earth.