4 days to go

Options
This liver shrink diet has me exhausted. I heard you would have low energy but gosh, this is really a challenge. I'm so glad I'm in
the home stretch. i am so looking forward to having a few days off work to catch up on some sleep.

I need to go get my supplements(calcium, B12, multivitamins). Is walmart any cheaper than going to say GNC or places like that?

Replies

• teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the countdown :)
    My surgeon has me taking Flintstones complete 2x day which were pretty cheap at Sams club. For calcium I am just taking TUMs 1000 2x day which I was a able to pickup when Target had them buy 1 get 1 free. For B12, I was able to get 1000mcg in a lozenge that melts in my mouth from Rite Aide (store brand) 30 ct was approx. $3. I also have a D deficiency and require 30000 units daily, and found that Nature Made has a chewable. These are a little pricey, but my daughter found them on sale buy 1 get 1 free. At this point I feel like I am always chewing a vitamin - lol.
  • Lissa_M
    Lissa_M Posts: 131
    Options
    I find that Walmart is cheaper than GNC, but depending on the surgery you are having, be wary of the pill sizes. Also, make sure you are getting the right kind of calcium. As I am a post-RNY, I have to make sure I take calcium citrate (like Citracal) not calcium carbonate (like Viactiv).

There are a couple of companies that make vitamins specifically for people who have had bariatric surgery: Celebrate and Bariatric Advantage. You should check out their webpages.
  • steffyp01
    steffyp01 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm having the lap band. I have a vitamin D deficiency also and have an rx for that. They are gel caps that are pretty small and I have also been taking iron. I guess I can just crush those. I'll check walmart then. They also prescribed nexium to reduce stomach acid so I have to pick that up also.

I have been told to go with gel caps if available since they basically melt so that's what I have been on the lookout for. The vitamin shop is a store in my area who said they carry a lot of the supplements for bariatric patients. I'll have to call and see what their prices are also.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Bariatric Advantage are IMO the best for WLS patients. I went through too much work and put my body through too much to buy cheap over the counter stuff...including Flintstones! I can't believe some surgeons actually recommend them. :huh: I won't put a price tag on me or my husband's health, especially when it comes to supplements. (He is a RNY patient as well.)
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Bariatric Advantage are IMO the best for WLS patients. I went through too much work and put my body through too much to buy cheap over the counter stuff...including Flintstones! I can't believe some surgeons actually recommend them. :huh: I won't put a price tag on me or my husband's health, especially when it comes to supplements. (He is a RNY patient as well.)

I agree completely, but use the Celebrate bariatric vitamins and calcium citrate. Some complain about the price, but I figure since I'm saving a fortune on the food I'm not eating, I can spend a little of it on good quality vitamins. The last thing I want to do is undermine all my efforts by playing russian roulette with supplements.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I agree that Bariatric Advantage are great. Celebrate are good too, as is Bariatric Fusion. I believe Bariatric Fusion (you can find online) is much cheaper than the other two brands. I was advised against Flintstones because they are not made for weight loss surgery patients. Also, make sure if you are having gastric bypass, you get Calcium CITRATE, because Calcium Carbonate (like TUMS) works only for sleeve and lapband. I did find the new Citracal Chocolate chews today at Walmart and compared them to the Bariatric Advantage calcium chews and they are almost identical--and considerably cheaper. Some people use VitaFusion from Walmart--they are gummies. I haven't asked my dietitian about those. Whatever you choose, you should clear with your surgeon and dietitian--especially before the surgery because many are very high in sugar and will hinder the liver shrinking. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your surgery. Let us know how you are doing when you get done with it. Walmart and or your local supermarket or drugstore are probably both cheaper than GNC for vitamins. I know my local Stop & Shop has vitamins on sale at least once per month at buy one get one free at least once per month. The calcium pills are huge ( make sure you get Calcium citrate as that is more easily absorbed) also if you need to take an iron supplement that you don't take it the same time as you take the calcium as the calcium tends to block the iron, I usually take my iron before bed with vitamin c. I also recommend buying a small supply of whatever vitamins you need at first because some people have trouble taking the same ones after surgery that they took before surgery, you may need chewables for example since it could be hard for you to swallow a big pill.