I need some opinions. HELP...

Options
I wasn't sure about posting this on my group forum because not everyone has diabetes.. I'm posting it any way just to get advice. I obvi have diabetes and I have PCOS and high thyroid levels. My thyroid has gotten better and I've lost almost 25 lbs. but no ovulation or periods yet. With my PCOS I've had an absent period since a very young age. I know my doctor wants me at a healthy weight before conceiving but do you guys think it would be too forward of me to go ahead and ask her if I can be put on meds such as clomid to go ahead and start TTC while still getting healthy. I know I need to be healthy and I am really trying but just knowing that I cannot get pregnant yet is really bumming me out and I think it is actually affecting my progress.... Please chime in.. Thanks so much!!

x
Becca

Replies

• dezbear
    dezbear Posts: 21
    Options
    Do you mind my asking how heavy you are? After I lost about 10% of my weight I ovulated on my own. Depending on how heavy you are it might be healthier for you and the baby if you continued to lose weight. Pregnancy puts a lot of strain on your body and I know from experience being over weight and pregnant is very difficult. I'm not saying not to ask for the clomid I'm just speaking from my own experience.
  • anditsbecca
    Options
    As of right now I am 232, I know I am still on the heavier side and the weight was mostly because I didn't know I had a thyroid issue, I gained weight so quickly that with being predisposed to diabetes I had it by the time I found out about my Hypo thyroid :( I just kind of feel disheartened because there have been many women heavier than me to get pregnant. I also knew that I was PCOS since 15. I started my cycle at age 14 but only had it 2 times that year.. thereafter I only have had maybe 4-5 natural periods. Since I was so young, I was put on BC to balance out my hormones.. if it even does that... and to have a monthly cycle. At 17 I stopped taking the BC because I was not sexually active and the cycles stopped again. I had a period once a year if that at all. I went back on BC when I turned 18 for obvious reasons. So regular again.. then off the BC at 20 (out of relationship) I was going to go on it again when I met my now husband but we used alternate protection. After marriage for about after a year we started TTC. No luck I had one natural maybe 2 natural cycles the whole 8 years we've been together. Sooooooo... I don't know if the weight is the underlying issue because I was at a healthy weight when we met and still no ovulation. :( I don't know.. I just want a child and I'm 28 now... I don't know maybe I need to talk to my doc bout a OBGYN and maybe get my tubes flushed since I haven't had a period. I'm just bummed out.
  • erika613
    erika613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I complete understand your feelings about being bummed out about not being pregnant yet, and the impatience. I'm going through the same thing! One thing that I keep trying to remember is that the goal is a baby, yes, but more importantly -- a healthy baby and momma. And the long journey sucks, and it's ok to feel pissed off that it's taking so long.

I lost a total of 72 lbs in 8 months (gained back 20 over the last 4 months...boo) and still not ovulating. which makes it VERY hard to keep focus because I feel like the weight loss didn't work. But, my RE asked me to wait a few more months. Weight loss is a stress on your body and when your body is stressed in this way it says "OMG!! NO food! Bad time for a baby!!!" and it sometimes shuts down. It can take another 3-4 months after losing 10% for your body to realize that you are NOT starving.

And remember, although PCOS and obesity are related, there are plenty of thin(ish) cysters. Jilliam Micheals has PCOS. So it could be PCOS related, but not weight related. Does that make sense?

Hang in there. It's a long road and it tests your patience. And one of my friends with a toddler says that's the perfect preparation for parenthood!

*hugs*
  • erika613
    Options
    Do you mind my asking how heavy you are? After I lost about 10% of my weight I ovulated on my own. Depending on how heavy you are it might be healthier for you and the baby if you continued to lose weight. Pregnancy puts a lot of strain on your body and I know from experience being over weight and pregnant is very difficult. I'm not saying not to ask for the clomid I'm just speaking from my own experience.

My RE said almost the exact same thing to me when I wanted to start meds after losing only 10%. She wanted me to lose more to lower my risk of pre-e and GD. She also reminded me that losing 10% (for me that was 25 lbs) was about equal to amount that I would gain back during pregnancy. So all of my weight related issues -- hbp, pre-diabetes, etc -- would likely not go away and be even more dangerous during pregnancy.
  • anditsbecca
    Options
    Thank you so much!! I needed to hear that. And yes, baby is the main goal, as well as a healthy me. It just gets so disheartening sometimes and I just burst into tears... in the shower, cooking, at the gym.. anything. I am such an emotional wreck from learning all these things about my body my WOMAN body that I feel like is failing me :( And sometimes I try to keep from my husband the fact that I am SO sad about it because 1- I don't want him to think he isn't good enough for me and 2- That I am just being over emotional. It just stinks thinking back to when I was a teen I should have researched the PCOS a lil but I was young and didn't care then. And I knew that my family history with the women were depression/Thyroid/Diabetes.... I should have started eating better and taking better care of myself before this. I can't beat myself up over it now but it weighs on my mind now and again. I do however try to eat less calories and less sugar and I drink waaaaaaaaaaay more water. I am going to the gym at least twice a week with hubs and doing DVDS at home on the days I can't pick myself up.... to be honest with you.. I haven't slept since tuesday night. and it is now 1:40 am Friday. I go through spurts of insomnia... I really can't help it. My hubs works a 2nd/3rd shift so I stay up with a heavy heart and mind sometimes. Anyways. I know that 22 lbs is a great loss but I think you are totally right,.. my Dr. is going to want me to lose more especially with the Diabetes.... :( I just have to keep going even when I get discouraged. At least I know I am not alone anymore.. I am glad I made this group. I am also thinking of starting some vlogs for YouTube to document this journey. Again thank you all so so much for the support and friendships!! I wish you all Love and baby dust ;)

x
  • erika613
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing all that you can. It's not easy, and i'm glad that you reached out for support. :)

Do you also have emotional support people IRL? Crying is ok, even healthy. And it can also help to have a friend or therapist (or both!) to provide that immediate emotional support.

Have you heard of Resolve? They are an infertility organization and the have lists of in-person support groups. I've never been, but I have been working/volunteering in the reproductive health space for a long time and they are a respected organization. http://www.resolve.org/

I hope that you are able to get some sleep soon.