I never use all my calories!

Options
carrieann8
carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
When doing Paleo - even at 80% I never use all my calories. And I'm not trying to anything dumb like that. I'm just not hungry for anything else. Is this a problem? Does anyone else do this? Have results been ok? MFP keeps warning me that my body is going to go into "starvation mode."

Replies

• EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What do you have your calories set at?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'll go out on a limb and say 1200. 80% of that is probably under 1000 which is why she's getting the warning.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    Coconut seems to be a popular calorie booster, especially coconut oil. Nuts also have a lot of calories. Sprouted almonds are really good if your hardcore, or even just the nut as is. Cashews are also a high calorie nut. Don't know how you feel about peanuts, but Earth Balance.. or something balance has an amazing peanut butter and coconut butter blend, or you might be able to make the blend yourself. I can eat that stuff with a spoon. Plantan chips taste really good with peanut butter too. You can probably find ways to add small amounts of calories to all of your meals so they add up at the end of the day and your down less.
  • carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It set my calories automatically by my weight, which is high. They want me to get at least 1200 calories, yah. I like the ideas though of eating more nuts and using the coconut oil. I haven't used coconut oil yet.
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I feel like the only Paleo person alive that can still eat PLENTY and is hungry the same as I was in pre-Paleo eating days.

I've already had 1400 calories today and I haven't even had dinner yet. Do y'all exercise much? ... I'm just trying to figure out why I'm having a different experience with this than seems typical. I run 3-4 days a week, do CrossFit 2-3 days a week (once a week I end up running in the morning and CF in the afternoon), otherwise I do 1 1/2 hours of Hot Yoga a week. It works out that I'm exercising for about 1.5 hours, 5 times a week. I have a feeling that most other Paleos exercise similarly though.

My last few days have been OFF diet wise because of really stressful things going on in my life, but otherwise I'm pretty much 80% or more strict Paleo. I eat plenty of fat, which I know it satiating. Coconut oil, avocado, nuts, etc.

I just cannot imagine being full off of 1200 calories a day. Wish I was.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I am Primal vs. Paleo so I have no problem consuming calories, a love of dairy runs deep in my family :p

I can eat 1200 calories and not feel too hungry, I just space out the calories, but I much prefer to eat more. I was losing too much weight for the healthy, "I want to tone," weight loss when I was trying to stick to 1200 + exercise. Bought a fitbit and it seems that I am nowhere near sedentary, which I should have known. I am an instructor, work at a very hilly location in a building with 3 stories... my office, room I teach in, and locker being split between floor 1 and floor 3. So, I burn a lot of walking calories. Now I am eating more and still losing weight, but at a more moderate rate.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I feel like the only Paleo person alive that can still eat PLENTY and is hungry the same as I was in pre-Paleo eating days.

I've already had 1400 calories today and I haven't even had dinner yet. Do y'all exercise much? ... I'm just trying to figure out why I'm having a different experience with this than seems typical. I run 3-4 days a week, do CrossFit 2-3 days a week (once a week I end up running in the morning and CF in the afternoon), otherwise I do 1 1/2 hours of Hot Yoga a week. It works out that I'm exercising for about 1.5 hours, 5 times a week. I have a feeling that most other Paleos exercise similarly though.

My last few days have been OFF diet wise because of really stressful things going on in my life, but otherwise I'm pretty much 80% or more strict Paleo. I eat plenty of fat, which I know it satiating. Coconut oil, avocado, nuts, etc.

I just cannot imagine being full off of 1200 calories a day. Wish I was.

I'm with you. And I don't even eat pork or any sugar substitutes (honey, dates, etc.) I exercise plenty, so maybe that's it, but MFP wants my calories at 1650 now and it's difficult for me. I've been eating Paleo for about 6 months (probably 99.5% strict), and eat mostly veggies chicken, beef and fish, but include plenty of nuts, coconut oil, fruit, etc.

But yeah - I'm usually at 1200 calories by lunch and would feel like I was starving if that's all I ate.
  • thenance007
    thenance007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I mix up 1/2 cup raw coconut oil with 1/4 cup natural almond butter--just stir them together. I try to eat 3 servings of 1-1/2 Tablespoons per day, along with 6 -7 oz. of meat and green leafy veges. That puts me a little over 1,000 calories a day, although if I'm hungry, I'll eat more. The coconut/almond butter is yummy! I carry it in a small container, and if I get hungry and am not where I can eat paleo, I just eat a serving of it, and my hunger is gone for hours.--great emergency food!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Use more fat when you're cooking. It's a great way to boost both taste and calories!
  • darjeelingexpress
    darjeelingexpress Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    > I'm just trying to figure out why I'm having a different experience with this than seems typical.

I would have asked where your carbs are, because that's usually what will keep you hungry and wanting more calories, but then I saw your next sentence where you mentioned crossfit. So you probably need the carbs. But they make me hunnnnnngrry. That's what always does it for me.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell without seeing your diary. I've noticed some of us tend to fall into old habits without realizing it (e.g., lunch equals a salad with a little protein vs. a nice chunk of meat, a side of veggies and some added fat). I try to bulk up my calories with nuts for snacks or a nice avocado tossed in somewhere.

Take a good hard look at your diary. Can you add a snack in? Are you eating a nice breakfast (bacon, eggs, etc.)? Is your lunch substantial enough? Are you using zero calorie fillers (lettuce? cucumbers? etc)? What are your goals - mine are fat = 50%; carbs = 15%; protein = 35%? Need more calories, bump up your healthy fats. (psst... there's a lot of fat bomb recipes on Pinterest!)
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Aargh. Was under 1,000 calories two days in a row, and tried my best to get to 1,200 today. I'm going to eat a TBS of coconut oil and go to bed... At least that will get me over 1,200 so I won't get the MFP warning that I'm not eating enough calories and my body might go into starvation mode. I would hate for that to happen.

One thing about the past two days -- I'm definitely burning fat. My carbs were close to 50 both days, and it's true about interesting "smells" resulting from ketosis. Managed to get 66g of carbs today, so maybe I can be back in that weight loss "sweet spot" and out of ketosis.

I find I'm not hungry in the morning, but if I wait too long for my first meal, I have trouble eating later in the day to make up the rest of the calories allowed. I ate earlier today (like around 11 am) and was able to face eating dinner again at 8. I hear it's better not to eat after 7, but I didn't want another 700 calorie day to send my body into conservation mode. That would be frustrating.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Aargh. Was under 1,000 calories two days in a row, and tried my best to get to 1,200 today. I'm going to eat a TBS of coconut oil and go to bed... At least that will get me over 1,200 so I won't get the MFP warning that I'm not eating enough calories and my body might go into starvation mode. I would hate for that to happen.

One thing about the past two days -- I'm definitely burning fat. My carbs were close to 50 both days, and it's true about interesting "smells" resulting from ketosis. Managed to get 66g of carbs today, so maybe I can be back in that weight loss "sweet spot" and out of ketosis.

I find I'm not hungry in the morning, but if I wait too long for my first meal, I have trouble eating later in the day to make up the rest of the calories allowed. I ate earlier today (like around 11 am) and was able to face eating dinner again at 8. I hear it's better not to eat after 7, but I didn't want another 700 calorie day to send my body into conservation mode. That would be frustrating.

The eating after a certain time is largely a myth. It's more about calorie control than anything else, as people who generally eat after that time do so more because they're bored (and therefore, eat crap and empty calories). The other true part of that is that a full stomach can affect sleep, so make sure to just eat long enough before bedtime to not be overly full (ie - let it settle, first). Beyond that, if you're not hungry until 8, then don't eat until 8.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options

The eating after a certain time is largely a myth. It's more about calorie control than anything else, as people who generally eat after that time do so more because they're bored (and therefore, eat crap and empty calories). The other true part of that is that a full stomach can affect sleep, so make sure to just eat long enough before bedtime to not be overly full (ie - let it settle, first). Beyond that, if you're not hungry until 8, then don't eat until 8.

Totally agree. And my doctor advised me to make sure I eat a snack immediately before bed, no matter how late it is, because I kept waking up at night. Turned out I wasn't sleeping well because I'm hypoglycemic and was not eating late at night because "you're not supposed to". But it actually makes me sleep significantly better. For me, I have to budget calories to save some for my bedtime snack, but clearly not everyone has that problem. A handful of nuts and half a banana or something like that is perfect for me before bed.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    What is it with this myth of "1200 calories will get my thin" that people insist upon on this site?

Have you measured your BMR/TDEE so you actually have an idea of what your body needs to feed itself?

Unless you are 5'0 and weight 110lbs, I'd have to guess that at 1200 calories (which you have trouble eating) you are pretty much starving yourself right now.

Almost every day I eat a meal that has more than 1200 calories in it. ONE meal.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What is it with this myth of "1200 calories will get my thin" that people insist upon on this site?

Have you measured your BMR/TDEE so you actually have an idea of what your body needs to feed itself?

Unless you are 5'0 and weight 110lbs, I'd have to guess that at 1200 calories (which you have trouble eating) you are pretty much starving yourself right now.

Almost every day I eat a meal that has more than 1200 calories in it. ONE meal.

"Eat less, move more" often gets extrapolated into "the less I eat and the more I work out, the more weight I'll lose, faster."
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it's a problem, especially for those who are carrying 20lbs+ extra fat. I'm just over 190lbs.
    I NET well under 1000 calories most days because I burn over 1000 most days. My trainers at my crossfit box have said to eat when I'm hungry until I'm full, don't eat when I'm not, which is what i'm currently doing except on my fortnightly cheat afternoon/evening. I feel fine with a low NET intake, in fact I feel brilliant, my measurements are getting smaller and my muscles are popping - I weigh in every day but don't take the number seriously.

I say carry on as you are, if you feel hungry, eat! The closer you get to goal and the more activity you do, the more you should eat.