Fat Sick and Nearly Dead

Options
issypops
issypops Posts: 212 Member
Hi, Did anyone watch the programme on Channel 5 last night on Fat, Sick and nearly dead about fasting on a green juice diet? It seemed a little drastic but both men looked very well on it.

Anyone tried such an extreme diet, what was your experience?
Angela

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    It worries me that some people will try it without the medical backup or the knowhow of what to put in the juices. The people on the television were having blood tests every 10 days. The normal person will probably try it without that backup.
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It worries me that some people will try it without the medical backup or the knowhow of what to put in the juices. The people on the television were having blood tests every 10 days. The normal person will probably try it without that backup.

I agree with this. I've had a green smoothie for my breakfast this morning as I think it's a good way to pack some nutrients in and I struggle with breakfast. I wouldn't want to live like that though.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I watched it thought it was great, I then internet searched juicing / smoothies the outcome of my research tells me

A juice diet will cost £150 for juicer plus £10 a day for the food as theres lots of waste, and juicing is not sustainable as theres no fiber in juices.

Smoothies cost approx. £6 a day very little waste, easier to make less time, less mess, it is sustainable and you can just use a blender

We are going to have a go at making a smoothie today as an instead of snack thing, carrot & banana
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I watched it, and thought it very interesting. They had medical backup, but most people who saw it and thought I will have a go at that won't see a doctor before hand. During the programme they did say before you start this you must see a doctor.

I was amazed how well both men looked and I hope they continue to get better. I hope the programme makers think about returning to these men say 2 years time and see how they are doing then.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ive already incorporated a lot of juicing in my lifestyle, I havnt done a full day or days juice fasting , at my most disciplined
    a large undressed salad was for dinner and some unsalted nuts and seeds for snacks. Lost weight so easily, and it keeps
    me healthy and stops me putting any back on :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It was an hour long advert by a guy that sell juicers. It's so obvious as he tours the country, giving people samples and selling juicers.

I'm disappointed that it's working in the UK, my social media feeds are already filling up with the adverts. Did you notice they were selling juicers during the breaks? Do you know the 'presenter' is giving 'talks' in stores that sell the juicers all week?

I'm hoping the NHS or BDA are working on some sort of press release. In the meant time, please talk to your doctor before doing this.
  • NathanielUK
    NathanielUK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    all being said, The results were amazing
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    all being said, The results were amazing

Of course, suddenly stopping terrible habits, taking up a VLCD with vegetables in, and taking up regular exercise will do that.

Whether a VLCD is healthy, or a juicer is required, is a different matter.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch it last night as I've already endured the full length "documentary".

I prefer to eat fruits and veggies rather than juicing them--juicing removes the fibre and is rather expensive for most people to do on a regular basis (unless you've got a big veggie garden or some sort of orchard).

I don't find juice to be filling or satisfying, so a juice diet wouldn't be something I'd be remotely interested in. I've not drank one sip of juice during my fat loss, and have never needed an extremely low calorie diet. Neither are necessary, and I don't think either are healthy or sensible ways to go about losing fat.

Not surprised to learn that this "documentary" is being shown in conjunction with a juicer marketing/sales tour. :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I watched it and can see the benefits. But 2 months without food? I just couldnt do it!!! :noway:

And I thought the Ozzie guy looked like he put back on weigh when he was running on the beach at the end??

As with most crash diets, you lose weight (of course you do!) but then you put it back on when you return to normal eating!! There's no escaping the hard work and dedication that weight loss and maintenance requires.

What I DID think was a good idea, was trying a micro diet to combat a physical sickness. I do think we are what we eat and people that survive on burgers and chips are going to be deficient in essential nutrients.
  • issypops
    issypops Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do wonder why just the juice and not the whole fruit or veg, wouldn't it be more filling and satisfying and require you to consume much less if you did have the whole thing. I did notice that they were juicing several apples just for one drink and I don't ever remember eating more than one apple at a time.

I was really impressed with the extent of the health benefits the truck driver experienced but he had a shockingly bad diet before so probably was extremely malnourished to begin with and perhaps all the improvements could be attributed to loosing weight and actually nourishing himself and any calorie restricted diet based on whole food would have had a similar result.

I was a little disappointed when I looked at the website for the programme and discovered a commercial site looking for subscriptions and if he's touring the country's kitchenware outlets it's even more depressing.

I suppose if I were to take anything from the programme it would be to increase my fruit and veg consumption in whatever form.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It was an hour long advert by a guy that sell juicers. It's so obvious as he tours the country, giving people samples and selling juicers.

I'm disappointed that it's working in the UK, my social media feeds are already filling up with the adverts. Did you notice they were selling juicers during the breaks? Do you know the 'presenter' is giving 'talks' in stores that sell the juicers all week?

I'm hoping the NHS or BDA are working on some sort of press release. In the meant time, please talk to your doctor before doing this.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I shook my head in disbelief throughout the show. Juicing as part of a healthy diet is absolutely fine but just juicing is crackers. My thoughts:

1. He spoke a lot about macro and micro nutrients and got it completely wrong. All foods have both and one is not somehow "better" than the other. What he said was utter nonsense and had no basis in science. There is no evidence that drinking a juice of a vegetable somehow makes you absorb more nutrients than if you eat it whole.

2. Where is the balance in this? Where is the protein? Where is the fibre? Where is the calcium? Yes, there are plenty of nutrients in fruit and veg but just having juice makes it incredibly difficult, if no impossible, to get all you need.

3. Yes, they looked great afterwards... because they had lost weight. They could just as easily have lowered their calories and eaten Pop Tarts and lost the weight.

4. The programme did nothing whatsoever to address their relationship with food. Without the support of a TV production team, what would happen to most of us? After 60 days we would not have a clue what to do next, how to eat well, how to reintroduce food. If anything I know that I would become obsessive and border orthorexic.

5. He kept referring to it as a "fast". Er, no. Fasting means the absence of calories and he was still getting them, just in liquid form.

6. He mentioned giving your gut a break by juicing. Why? Your gut is designed to process whole food - let it do its job.
    They lost weight because they ate less and moved more, plain and simple.

And, yes, I have been suckered into doing juicing. A few years ago I did a seven day programme. I got diarrhea, spent hours juicing, was starving and tetchy... and lost a total of 1lb. Waste of time and money :(

But I do, occasionally, still use it when I fancy a refreshing drink. I just don't use it as my sole source of food intake.

*rant over*
  • SRH7
    Options
    I do wonder why just the juice and not the whole fruit or veg, wouldn't it be more filling and satisfying and require you to consume much less if you did have the whole thing. I did notice that they were juicing several apples just for one drink and I don't ever remember eating more than one apple at a time.

I was really impressed with the extent of the health benefits the truck driver experienced but he had a shockingly bad diet before so probably was extremely malnourished to begin with and perhaps all the improvements could be attributed to loosing weight and actually nourishing himself and any calorie restricted diet based on whole food would have had a similar result.

I was a little disappointed when I looked at the website for the programme and discovered a commercial site looking for subscriptions and if he's touring the country's kitchenware outlets it's even more depressing.

I suppose if I were to take anything from the programme it would be to increase my fruit and veg consumption in whatever form.

Wise words :flowerforyou:
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I said exactly the same thing about selling you juicers and I wonder how many people jumped on the bandwagon yesterday?

Personally I know there is no way I could just live on "juice" but essentially it seemed to be just blended veg so why not just eat the veg?
  • SRH7
    Options
    Oh, and if you don't have a dishwasher then forget it. Nightmare juicing several times a day and washing it by hand - impossible to get clean.
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did the Reboot with Joe three day juice fast and I lost 8lbs but I didn't do it for weight loss, I did it to retrain my tastebuds. Before the fast I had to have salt on everything and my sweet tooth was killing me. I now find the foods I used to love too salty and I don't add salt on any food, I can now taste the natural flavour of foods. I have decided to not eat sugary foods anymore apart from fruit because they were making me violently sick and the juice diet has stopped my cravings for chocolate.

That said it was bloody hard to stick to, very expensive and the juices tasted vile esp the green juice. I have anaemia too so my iron levels dropped and I felt very dizzy when drinking the beetroot juice.

If you're going to do it I'd do a short fast and definitely have your doctors check you over first.

Would I do it again? Yes if my body needed another detox but I'd never do longer than 3 - 5 days.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I did the Reboot with Joe three day juice fast and I lost 8lbs but I didn't do it for weight loss, I did it to retrain my tastebuds. Before the fast I had to have salt on everything and my sweet tooth was killing me. I now find the foods I used to love too salty and I don't add salt on any food, I can now taste the natural flavour of foods. I have decided to not eat sugary foods anymore apart from fruit because they were making me violently sick and the juice diet has stopped my cravings for chocolate.

That said it was bloody hard to stick to, very expensive and the juices tasted vile esp the green juice. I have anaemia too so my iron levels dropped and I felt very dizzy when drinking the beetroot juice.

If you're going to do it I'd do a short fast and definitely have your doctors check you over first.

Would I do it again? Yes if my body needed another detox but I'd never do longer than 3 - 5 days.

How do you tell if your body needs a detox?
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I start to feel really sick or tired or I've been eating crappy foods.
  • SRH7
    Options

How do you tell if your body needs a detox?

My skin turns yellow as my liver starts to fail :wink:
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I start to feel really sick or tired or I've been eating crappy foods.

Are you aware of what the NHS say about detox diets?