Suggestions for getting back to keto?

Options
Jasmine_James
Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
I just got back from a super indulgent vacation at an all-inclusive in the Dominican Republic. I had a really fantastic time -- but now the scale is up 9 pounds! I know this is mostly water weight because my clothes still fit, but I am also noticing some extra here and there, so it's not just water.

I'm going to ease back into keto because I have a party this weekend that I want to drink and enjoy food at. But starting Sunday, I really need to go all in and get back to keto before this spirals out of control. (And for some context, I've been a yo-yo'er for about 10 years -- and I usually lose weight for a vacation and then never manage to get back on track afterward, so this has been my pattern and I really don't want to repeat it this time.)

The last 6 months or so, after taking scheduled breaks I've done juice fasts to get myself back on track. They work really well for me as a reset, so I'm thinking about juicing on Sunday as my reset -- but not sure how effective one day will be (I can't juice and go to work, or even leave the house really).

Just wanted to ask what you all do to get yourself back into keto after "refeeds" or, in my case, vacation-induced binging.

Do you have any techniques or menus that work really well as a reset for you?

Replies

• Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome back! I am glad you posted this because I could use some pointers after having an out of town food fest myself :) One thing that has helped me has been to just up my fat and protein so that I am satiated. My cravings and blood sugar is always a little crazy after big indulgences. I start tracking and focus on under 20 net carbs, the carbs being solely non starchy green vegetables. I also drink diluted apple cider vinegar and lemon water- great for alkalizing and water retention.

I like green juices to de-puff. Parsley, spinach, cucumber... All great and loaded with potassium to flush out extra water and give your digestion a break. The only thing I will say, and I am just speaking from my own personal experience, is to avoid fruit juices or carrot juices that are higher in sugars until insulin levels have stabilized. If I launch into a cleanse before a few good days of low glycemic foods, I am setting myself up for a food bender.

Hope that helps! :)
  • jackalope39
    jackalope39 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just heads down it, do what you know works, and keep at it for a few weeks. It takes a while to get back into ketosis, and the scale moves up much more quickly than it moves down.

Hang in there, post often, ask for support and encouragement when you need it, and keep at it! You already know what happens when you don't stick with it, so even when it gets hard and frustrating - stick with it!!
  • OUFan70
    OUFan70 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fat fast to kick you back in gear?
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    This was taken from a guide from bodybuilding.com. Works fairly well for me:

3D. How to Enter Ketosis Quickly, Easily, and Reliably

Here is a full-proof method to enter ketosis:

Day 1:

- Do not eat anything after 6 p.m.

Day 2:

- Wake up and perform HIIT or intense conditioning/weight training on an empty stomach

- Begin a strict ketogenic diet with 0-2% of calories attributed to carbohydrates

Day 3:

- Wake up and perform HIIT or intense conditioning/weight training on an empty stomach

- Begin a normal ketogenic diet with 5% of calories attributed to carbohydrates.

If not already, you will soon be in ketosis in a short matter of time.

===========

On the first 2 days I would normally wake up and and do an hour of slow paced cardio. Then in the evening perform 15 minutes of sprint training. Third days strength training then go back to normal exercise schedule.

Also on these first few days I would have my lowest carb counts. aimming at no more than 10 net Carbs. So yeah I do carry and chug EVOO thoughout them days ha! 75% fats, 24% proteins, 1% Carbs would be my macros when coming off refeed.

I usually start to register trace on ketostix towards end of 3 day with this.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    Options

The last 6 months or so, after taking scheduled breaks I've done juice fasts to get myself back on track. They work really well for me as a reset, so I'm thinking about juicing on Sunday as my reset -- but not sure how effective one day will be (I can't juice and go to work, or even leave the house really).

Just wanted to ask what you all do to get yourself back into keto after "refeeds" or, in my case, vacation-induced binging.

Do you have any techniques or menus that work really well as a reset for you?

Jasmine, instead of a juice fast try a fat fast instead. It will literally kick start you back into ketosis. You might have a few rough days with keto headaches but you will absolutely know you are in ketosis within 3-4 days and possibly drop those 9 lbs you think you gained.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for this great guidance!

One challenge I have is that I just underwent minor surgery. I can't exercise for at least a month. (This came from my doctor, but it's also a reality; I have 2-inch incision with four layers of stitches in a difficult location -- if I even try to lift weights, I risk ripping the stitches.)

Your suggestions are really helpful. I will go back to the basics starting Sunday and just do what I had been doing, what I know works. I think my brain is sabotaging me and coming up with reasons to delay it or complicate it. You all are right that -- yes, it might take a few days to get to keto -- but once in keto things will go back to normal, and even if I can't exercise I will drop this water weight and get back on track with healthy losing.

Thanks again,
    Leah