Body fat

linski24
linski24 Posts: 155 Member
I have measured my body fat properly and I'm unfortunately 30% body fat .... I'm 5'1" and 143lbs
I have looked at so many charts to see where I am in the whole grand scheme of things ... However so much conflicting info .... Some say I'm average but higher end of average ... Some say I'm above average to obese .... Well I didn't think I'm obese so ignoring that one ... I personally think I'm a little above average from what I see in the mirror ... But I know I obviously need to lose too ... Which is hard blooming work ... Think it's my diet that needs to change ... I can get naughty ...
But I'd live to know which I am properly ....according to body fat ... Above average ...??? Average or healthy ..???? Confused.com

Replies

• GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    I'm sure that's the chart that came with my callipers and the same chart my trainer used.
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Ok if heybales advocates this chart and you do Rach then I'm average :-) happy ... But I could be happier and be in ideal bracket :-) thanks heybales and Rach x
  • Joydriven
    Joydriven Posts: 46
    So, what is a good way to keep track of progress of bf %?

I'm considering researching a BF scale, knowing they're not accurate but hopeful they would track relative changes. Based on my measurements averaged between the online calcs and the above chart, I'm between ideal and lean and I know that's not correct.

The other choice are the calipers, but I've heard they are hard to get a consistent reading from.

I'm going to have my BMR and fat% tested so I'll have a good starting point to then track numbers from.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So, what is a good way to keep track of progress of bf %?

I'm considering researching a BF scale, knowing they're not accurate but hopeful they would track relative changes. Based on my measurements averaged between the online calcs and the above chart, I'm between ideal and lean and I know that's not correct.

The other choice are the calipers, but I've heard they are hard to get a consistent reading from.

I'm going to have my BMR and fat% tested so I'll have a good starting point to then track numbers from.

Good way to keep track is a spreadsheet.

if you mean good way to measure, depends on why you need the figure.

If used for calculating Katch BMR, only need to be within 5% for calories to not change much.
    So measurements serve dual purpose, getting BF estimate, and tracking inches lost.

Research a consistent scale, and even there you have to follow directions for proper usage to increase chance of accuracy.
    Oh, online comments from purchasers that this one is accurate - is based on what possibly? Those kinds of opinions are stupid actually, because they merely compare it to some other non-accurate method.
    Even while consistent though, they can be off over 5%, so good to mix in to averages with measurements.
    Skin calipers should be in skilled hands - not yours, for a 7-site method to be within 5%. Again, good to put with other 5% methods for an average.

If you only have money for one test, get the bodyfat % test done. Then you can see how close the measurements are, and base eating level on that better estimated BMR.

As to RMR test (you can't get a BMR test), it won't tell you if the RMR is high or low according to LBM, unless you do the BF test too.
    They can tell you if RMR is high or low according to age, height, weight expected RMR, but it may be right on for LBM. Or you have it suppressed from undereating, in which case you still don't know what it should be about.

So if money for both actual tests - go for it. If only for 1, make it the BF% test.
  • I had the Bod Pod done yesterday. It was a simple and not very expensive test. Iwill be doing the RMR next week (tried yesterday but apparently I dont breath deep enough when relaxed lol). I am also going to re-try the anebolic fitness test, also couldnt complete that one for some reason.
    I reached my weight loss goal finally! and really wanted to know an accurate BF number so I decided it was worth paying for. I am very happy with my results. They were slightly better than the calculated methods. Never used calipers.
    Heybales- dont know where you came from or get all your info but you are my guru! You should be a on line personal fitness coach. Thanks for all you post!