What is your exercise routine?

Options
FrancineM62
FrancineM62 Posts: 42 Member
I'm curious to hear what others do and think about exercise on maintenance. I see alot of MFPs who are burning mega calories a day, both on weight loss and maintenance, sometimes 1000+ calories in a single workout. I jog or walk 4 times a week on average and burn about 200-300 calories each time. This is realistic for me since I work full time and have a family. At 117, it would take a lot more effort to burn more than that. However, I wonder about the advantages of setting higher goals.

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've found a great and balanced exercise routine for yourself. One that you can keep doing for the rest of your life. My exercise routine is pretty atypical right now because I'm awaiting hip replacement surgery on August 6th. But fortunately I'm still able to use the elliptical every other day for about 35-40 minutes and 300 calories burned. That will remain the core of my exercise routine post-op, with long walks in the woods and some strength training mixed in.

Honestly, I think it's all just personal choice. I know many experienced weight losers and maintainers with exercise calorie burns much higher than mine who have higher TDEEs as a result. But I also see quite a few folks who post calorie burns of 1000+ from slow walking and food prep who aren't losing weight and that doesn't really surprise me.

Congrats to you for being in maintenance!
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Since I've met my weight loss goal, I have set a new goal of getting stronger and adding muscle. I don't have the cash right now to join a gym and lift heavy, so I am doing 30 Day Shred on YouTube every day for resistance training. I also walk every day for at least a half hour. These aren't huge burns, and I'm only on day 8 of 30DS, so I'm not sure how tenable this is as a maintenance routine yet.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I do brisk walking and running/jogging in the morning and in the evening. Each session last around 1:15hr - 1:30hr, unless I think I eat too much, then I work out longer than that. I am now considering doing bodyweight training but still can't wrap my brain over how to do squat correctly-every time I try to do it I keep stumble forward.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Lift 3 times a week with a small 15 minute cardio warm up before, and run twice a week. One of those runs is a 10k, and I'll do a 45 minute trail run or another 10k for the second run. I also sometime do an easy bike ride or walk on my rest days.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I do a hour of Pilates twice a week (Thurs & Sun). I do the treadmill three times a week (Mon - Wed - Fri) but only for 15 minutes at a time so far - going to increase after I retire in October. I walk everywhere I can.
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would agree with those who say to add in strength training, especially as you get above 50. Otherwise, burning 200-300 calories is an awesome way to keep yourself flowing (in more ways than one).

But if you want to add something else, may I suggest rowing, if you belong to a club? There is a rowing forum with lots of advice here, and what I've found is that it builds muscle as well as cardiovascular ability.

I have a hard time committing to strength training, but the rowing takes care of most of the big muscles.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,011 Member
    Options
    I ride my recumbant bike for 60 mins 3-4 xs a week and do walking 2-3xs a week, strength training 2-4xs a week and do various exercise dvds 1_4xs a week
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Cycle 2 hours per day 6 days a week, 50 minute walk most mornings.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i exercise so i can eat more!!!

seriously though, i do strength training 2/3x a week and cardio 2/3x a week, to make up 5 workouts. the cardio is anything - badminton for an hour, jogging, insanity workouts, so my burn is different each time and i eat back exercise cals accordingly.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It does depend on your goals-I lift 2-3x a week because I love it! and it has transformed my shape. I do cardio 2x a week for heart health-really just to EAT MORE FOOD;-) I stay busy with biking garden etc..Not often do I get those high cal burns, 200-300ish. Before I lost my weight 2years ago, I had high burns with calories, but I had more weight and wasn't in shape I am now. Do what works for you;-)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    This was a great question and interesting to see all the responses. I love seeing how everyone is adapting and that, as a group, maintainers are NOT exercising 2 hours a day with crazy high burns!

This last year in particular has been different for my maintenance. Have been teaching myself that I don't have to work out twice a day, and have been adjusting my routine due to various injuries and physical restrictions. To the extent I can, my goal is to be moving, for at least 30 minutes, six times a week (but usually 7). My average cardio is 45 minutes. I strength train 2-3 times a week. I exercise because I love it and I love to eat!
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm testing out various Power Yoga routines on youtube to see if yoga will work for me. Only been at it a little over a week and have yet to find a yoga practice that I love (as much as I love JM dvds), but I thought I'd give it a month or so and then assess. I'm not looking to burn a ton of calories because I'm happy with my maintenance diet so far. Thought Yoga might help me retain toning and add flexibility. I do intend to add in a couple of core strength routines every couple of days cause I love ab exercises.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of an exerciser, but I am trying to get to the gym 3 times per week to do 45 minutes of the arc trainer. I have also added swimming once or twice a week, but I don't love it.
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I work out with trainer 3x a week for 45 min a session, for last year and a half. We do some weight lifting, planks/lunges/push-up type stuff and a small amount of cardio. Trainer says burn is maybe 200-250 calories but its yielded great results. I am about to cut this to 2x a week and try to supplement with treadmill walking.. Tired of waking up at 5:15am 3x a week!!!
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    1. I know myself well enough that for an exercise regimen to work long term for me it has to be something I can do a minimum of 5 days a week and enjoy it. If you look at my exercise diary you'll see I mix up very brisk walks with treadmill along with an occasional outside jog. Because it's an easy (for me) habit to keep up with I end up doing it 6 or 7 days a week.

2. I always lowball my calories burn. I fear overestimating burns which would make me think I could eat more that day. I'm all about keeping myself within my daily calorie allotment.

3. Weights. I lift light weights on average 3 times a week. I know many MFPers are all about "lift heavy" but that isn't the look I'm going for and frankly many of the female proponents of lifting heavy look bulky (to me) in their posted MFP photos. I'm tall, I'm 50 years old, and I want to look lean, not bulky.
  • FrancineM62
    FrancineM62 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration it is to read all your responses! I hear some common themes: variety and doing what you enjoy. Makes perfect sense. I love the pic that says the one hour of exercise is important but it's what you eat in the other 23 that matters too. I like the idea of upping the exercise to eat more--and having a variety of exercise to pull out of our "bag of tricks" to undo consuming too many calories--and it could be as simple as walking to where you are going instead of driving. Congrats to all on your maintenance!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I currently burn around 1,500 cals per week through exercise, although I'm building up my running distances so this may increase. I've never burned 1000 calories in one workout!

At the moment, I run 3-4 times a week and lift weights 2-3 times a week. I usually fit in a couple of walks as well, and do some yoga. I think it's definitely about finding a routine that is liveable and sustainable for you. I think it's important to do things that you get something out of, other than just the calorie burn, because (for me anyway) there will be days when you don't really care about calorie burn, so it helps to have another reason to exercise.

I run because I'm really starting to love it for itself, and because it really makes a difference to my mental health. Sometimes I start off running, and it doesn't feel great, and I really have to push myself, but I always feel tons better once I'm done. I also love the fact that I feel so much fitter than before, and I'm kind of running away from my overweight/unfit demons. I'm not ashamed to say, I also run because I like being able to eat more! The extra calories makes maintaining a lot easier!

I add in extra walks on days that I don't run because I like getting out into the great outdoors, and again, it helps my state of mind.

I lift weights, even though I don't really enjoy it, because I like the way it has changed the shape of my body, and because I want to maintain my muscle mass and bone density. I also like feeling stronger, and being able to lift more over time.

I do yoga because it feels good, and I like the challenge of mastering different poses and improving my flexibility. It's fun to me.