Looking for advice before arriving in Australia next week!

Options
cattrill
cattrill Posts: 74 Member
Hey all, sorry for gatecrashing with a post that isn't particularly specific to all of you but I'm a 21 year old who has just graduated and am travelling around Australia for a month starting next week!

The main cities for me will be Melbourne, Sydney and Cairns and I was just looking for some advice/recommendations on top things to do in these places and good, healthy places to eat/buy food( will have some access to a kitchen so looking for cheap supermarkets!) Also if there are restaurant chains that are notoriously unhealthy that I should avoid!

Obviously its a holiday so I want to enjoy myself but would also like to make the healthy choices I'm accustomed to so any advice would be welcome!

Thanks a lot :) x

Replies

• elle_321
    elle_321 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    hmmm I am in Brisbane so can't help a lot. But Cairns is definitely a beautiful spot for tourists. The Kuranda train is one to see. It is a scenic ride on an old steam train. Lots to see there. Bring some winter clothes, it's our winter here so a bit chilly. :-) Victoria is even colder.
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Have a great trip. I'm in Perth (the other side of the continent) so can't help much either. But ...

In Sydney check out The Rocks area (historical), climb the harbour bridge if you have a head for heights and definitely get out to the Blue Mountains - there are backpacker buses that take you out there cheaply. Definitely check out an Australian wildlife park and cuddle a koala etc. Sydney YHA is great and right near the train station but you will have to book as its very popular.

Melbourne is all about food and coffee and shopping. Middle Eastern & Asian restaurants in Australia are cheap, healthy and very tasty. My favourites are Vietnamese (fresh and light), Tibetan and Lebanese. Most fast food chains here are the international ones so you will recognise them. Kangaroo (roo) meat is really healthy - high in protein and very low in fat. Seafood is very fresh but very expensive. Pasta and pizza tend to be fat laden when eating out.
  • ozzy_q
    ozzy_q Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm from Melbourne so I can give you a couple of ideas for what to do while in town.

Best sights to see/activities in Melbourne that I can recommend are:

SPORT:
    Go see a game of AFL - its nearing the end of the season and seeing a game between two of the big teams at the MCG is a must do! teams to see to ensure your going to a good match include: Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle, Richmond. If you are unsure about the game check out this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc0dZdorN7s

ART:
    For the next month or so the National Gallery of Victoria has an exhibition of paintings by Monet, I went the other wek and it was quite good, the permanent collection is not bad either.

Melb's has a pretty descent street art scene too and you can do guided or unguided walking tours of the city's laneways - there is plenty of info on trip adviser

There's also always good stuff on at the art's centre (right next to the gallery) and the museum aswell.

Music:
    there's always good music on if your into seeing a gig, Melbourne is full of cool venues like the hifi bar in the CBD or the corner hotel in richmond or at bigger venues like festival hall, check out beat magazine or beat.com.au to see whats on when you are here.

General sights to see:
    Flinders St Station
    St Paul's Cathedral
    Federation Square
    Eureka Tour
    Shrine of remembrance
    Royal Exhibition Building
    Royal botanic gardens

If you are willing to drive out of the city to see some sights you could also check out:
    The Great Ocean Road - coastal drive with some awesome scenery
    Mt Dandenong - not really much of a mountain but has some nice pubs and towns at the top and a good view over melbourne
    Puffing Billy - old school steam train htat runs near mt dandenong
    The wineries in the Yarra Valley - about an hour and a bit out of the city to the east but very nice, you can book tours etc just check out trip adviser again!

Bars:
    heaps and heaps of bars/clubs and nightspots in melbs but a couple of my faves include:
    Blue diamond on queen street
    sentido funf, the black pearl and kodiak club all in fitzroy
    Fathers office on little lonsdale street

other things to do:
    Stkilda is a beach side suburb just outside of the CBD that has plenty of bars restaurants and freaks galore, also has an amusement park Luna Park, pretty small but worth checking out.
    Astor theatre - old school cinema on chapel st that show old movies, everything from disney movvies to 80's classics to black and white movies

As for food there is plenty to see and plenty to stay away from.

The Queen Victoria Market just north of the CBD is worth going as a tourist attraction in its own right but also has great food to try
    Another good market, moore food based is the Prahran market (again on chapel st).

Restaurants are everywhere so I wont bother going in to detail, just get in to the city and start walking the laneways, make sure you check out china town on little bourke street!

Coffee is a big deal in Melbs there's a lot of great places and a lot of rubbish ones so make sure you check out:
    Brother Baba Badun on little bourke st
    Auction rooms on errol street
    Patricia Brewers on the corner of little bourke and little williams st

Chains - there are a number of "healthier/gourmet" fast food chains that you can get healthy choices from if you pick the right things on the menu:
    Grill'd - burgers
    Schnitz - chicken burgers and wraps
    roll'd - vietnamese rice paper rolls

I hope this helps, have a great trip!
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm from Sydney, and I just want to say these are great suggestions! Definately do these things. Taronga zoo in Sydney is a great day trip. I haven't personally done very touristy things, but my personal favourite things to do with friends is to go shopping in New Town (alternative district with some vintage), I like Paddy's markets next to central station (good to look at if you feel like more shopping but don't want to spend too much money). If you go to the Rock's (beautiful) make sure you get pancakes! Kinokuniya is the best bookshop for Japanese manga and comics. The
  • cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated :)
  • ctatchuan
    ctatchuan Posts: 50
    Options
    Sydney-sider here so I'm sure I am in a position to give you a few pointers

1. Sydney Opera House

A must see for tourists. The design architecture is meant to look like a ship floating on top of the water. If you have time check out a show or two

2. The Rocks

The side of the city that still contains old colonial buildings, awesome architecture, bars, food - don't forget to check out Pancakes on the Rocks

3. Newtown

Hippy side of town with some of best thai food, bars and shopping

4. Darling harbour

Seafront views and some of the best bars and restaurants, premiumly priced though just fyi

There's plenty more that escape my mind at the moment but if you have any questions feel free to ask!