Noob Question about Lifting and Cholesterol

Options
kcvance
kcvance Posts: 103 Member
Hi Ladies!

I am a dedicated cardio junkie - I love the endorphins and it's been the only thing that's been able to help me control my cholesterol (my liver loves to make lots of it, without regard to what I'm eating, apparently). No doctor will put me on a cholesterol medication because I'm a woman of child-bearing age (even though I've had my tubes tied), and I've read that there is some debate as to if these drugs work at all in women... but, I digress.

I've purchased the NROL4W book and I'm still reading it, looking up exercises, learning about form (and looking for a personal trainer for a couple of sessions to get me started) etc. I'd like to begin the program, but I have serious concerns about dialing back all the cardio, or going days without any cardio at all.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or advice? Both sides of my family have high cholesterol, heart attack, and stroke issues, so this is a major health concern of mine as I get older (I'm 37).

Thank you. :-)

Replies

• teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have high(ish) cholesterol and have chosen not to take prescription medications for it. I do take over the counter niacin, which can also be given as a prescription called Niaspan. I take Slo-niacin. Niacin is just a B vitamin. It is supposed to work as well as lipitor and other statin drugs. I've been taking it a few months and haven't been retested, but others that I know who have used it have had good results. The only problem with it is flushing (skin can get really hot and red) but that only happens to me if I don't take it with food.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that there's a corelation between just cardio and lower cholesterol. If you've been losing weight and eating better while doing the cardio that is probably what has been helping with your cholesterol #'s.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    wibutterflyma - that's the only thing that has worked for me - I have radically changed my diet a number of times (Paleo, then Primal, then Clean-ish) with no change in my numbers, and sometimes my LDLs went UP. I'd love to trade some of my cardio workouts for lifting, but can't if my cholesterol goes back up. It's currently in the low 200's, which is terrible considering I do 90 minutes of cardio a day. Without exercise, it is 350+, which is just out of control.

Following the book AND doing that much cardio seems insurmountable to me, but maybe tweaking both is a way to make this work?

Teachmom32 - I have tried red yeast rice (didn't help) and niacin, but the niacin was ages ago. I will poke around for the Slo-niacin and give it another shot. Thanks!
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I lift and do 3 hour long spin classes a week. I know they say to cut back on cardio but I can't seem to quit spin. I hate exercise but somehow have become addicted to spin. I'm noticing huge improvements from the lifting and it blows my mind to think it would be even better if I cut back on the cardio. I was told that if you're already conditioned to the cardio it might not interfere with the lifting too much. Not sure how true that is but you might be able to do both without too much of a problem. Maybe try cutting it back to just an hour of cardio and see if that affects your cholesterol. I honestly didn't know that cardio had anything to do with cholesterol at all. Good luck!!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I say do what works for you. If you can both then do both. I'm personally going to start putting more cardio back in as I think that is what helped me with my weight loss. Everything has stalled for me since I started lifting and I'm really tired of it.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I also have problems controlling cholesterol, some of which are linked to my family's history. At the point in my life when my numbers were the best I was eating a low fat, high fiber diet that was primarily plant based. I ate very little meat and dairy, lifted heavy 2-3 times a week and did a moderate amount of cardio - mostly hiking. A dietician gave me a handy rule to go by - if it has 7 grams of fat or less per serving, enjoy frequently; 7-15 grams per serving, enjoy occasionally; over 15 grams per serving, enjoy sparingly.

I know currently the trend is "good fats" and distinguishing the types of fats as opposed to lumping them all together, and while I understand the reasoning and benefits, eating low fat, high fiber is the only thing that keeps my cholesterol at a reasonable level. It is also the type of eating that makes me feel the best physically, which is a nice bonus and motivator - especially since I am trying hard to regain my lost good habits! :sick:

There are many books for plant based diets of course (gotta make the bucks!). Two that I like are The E2 Diet and Forks Over Knives.