Topamax or Other Medications

Options
angelaengbrecht
angelaengbrecht Posts: 55 Member
Recently I've been unbelievably depressed and my BED has seriously spiraled out of control.

I've tried a lot of behavioral interventions to help myself, but I'm beginning to feel like I need something more. I feel powerless to stop my binges, and no amount of reason seems to help me.

Because of this, I've been considering seeking medication.

Does anyone here have any experience with Topamax and/or Wellbutrin in relation to BED?

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've heard of topomax only because of the book Brain Over Binge. Have you read it? It only helped her for a small period of time. But I would highly recommend this book.
  • angelaengbrecht
    Options
  • angelaengbrecht
    Options
    I haven't read that book.

Perhaps I'll see if I can find it today.

Just out of curiosity, in what context does it mention Topamax?
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Just a very small part. I wouldn't read it just for topamax info. More for binge self help ya know? It's def worth a read :)
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I hated the side effects of Topamax and really all it did was make me more energetic, which didn't help with my binging, as I do it out mental ****.

I'm taking Effexor now and it seems to be a bit better.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I take Topamax for tension headaches, not BED, but it's also given as an appetite suppressant as well. Most of the side effects I can deal with, tingling hands, dizzy spells, and causing carbonation to taste horrible but I can only take it for about 3 months until I have to stop and take a break. It's the side effect of memory loss, confusion and well I call it the "stupids" I can't handle. Which is why it's nickname is "Dopamax". There were times it would take me a few minutes to remember how to say words like if, how, or spoon!

Anyway! It didn't change my appetite at all, just the taste of carbonation. Are you seeing a doctor about your depression?
  • hauntao
    hauntao Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I take Topamax for tension headaches, not BED, but it's also given as an appetite suppressant as well. Most of the side effects I can deal with, tingling hands, dizzy spells, and causing carbonation to taste horrible but I can only take it for about 3 months until I have to stop and take a break. It's the side effect of memory loss, confusion and well I call it the "stupids" I can't handle. Which is why it's nickname is "Dopamax". There were times it would take me a few minutes to remember how to say words like if, how, or spoon!

Anyway! It didn't change my appetite at all, just the taste of carbonation. Are you seeing a doctor about your depression?

Hahaha yessss. And having to do art critiques and being an english minor, this was soooo frustrating.
  • ElizabethMKE
    ElizabethMKE Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed topamax in 2007 for my bulimia/binge eating disorder. I lost about 30lbs in a very short amount of time. The side effects were awful, but I was so focused on my eating disorder that I didn't care. I couldn't drink diet soda anymore, it tasted awful. My feet were tingling all the time and it made it painful to be sitting or try to sleep. Yes, I lost weight and yes it helped with the binge/purge cycle, but at some point I think I switched addictions and was restricting for a while. I was on it for about 1.5 years. The side affects went away. ALL of the side affects. I eventually switched my meds around (for depression and bi-polar) and gained all of the weight back plus 30lbs. About 2 years ago, I went back on the topamax, hoping for the same weight-loss results. Did not happen at all. The one thing it did do was to help with the bulimia and binge eating. It's not a cure-all. Medication only helps 30-50%, the rest is a lot of therapy and maybe meeting with a registered dietition. I also attend ABA meetings (Anorexics and Bulimics Annonymous) meetings weekly. It's a 12 step group, like AA. The meetings have helped a lot. http://aba12steps.org/aba-meetings/meetings/usa/ Let me know if you any questions!!
  • Amy11108
    Amy11108 Posts: 74
    Options
    I take Wellbutrin and Metformin (for PCOS & weight loss, not diabetes)

It really has helped with my appetite during the day, specifically in the morning for some reason. Sometimes I get sick from not eating and I don't want to eat. But come night time I still binge. Its like I eat from the moment I walk through the door till the moment I go to bed. But the loss of appetite during the day has really cut out a lot of calories and my weight gain trend has stopped.
  • amyrebtx
    amyrebtx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I took Wellbutrin and Topamax for BED/depression for about 2.5 years. The Topamax helped immensely with the BED at first, but eventually the effects tapered off and I would eat/binge regardless of dosage. I agree with the above that it is not a fix - just another tool. I still struggle with BED today, I haven't taken any medication of any type other than the occasional Tylenol for almost 4 years. I also struggled with the "stupids" to such an extent that it seriously crippled my confidence. I was afraid to open my mouth in my job for fear of not being able to form the sentence that I was thinking of. To me, that's not worth the benefit of the medication.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My doctor wants to try Topomax next. I will see at the end of the month. I am researching it very well. I am also working on therapy so if I stop the med I can control the binges on my own.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    For those that have been on Topamax. What dosage and at what frequency?