Good News and Bad

Options
lori7757
lori7757 Posts: 7 Member
Had my 1st 3 month check up and my AC1 went from 6.8 to 5.8, very happy with that. Bad news is now my LDL level is high (140). One more thing to try and control...:(

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Great improvement on your A1C check-up lori!, congrats!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Gratz on your A1C :)
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi I wouldn't be to worried about LDL's. Mine did the same thing at first, but now they have come back down into the normal range. Yours will to in time.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Great A1c improvement. Hope others fall in line soon as well. I'm the same...one goes down, another goes up! It's a true balancing act!
  • lori7757
    Options
    Thans guys. I appreciate the support.
  • Findingme40
    Findingme40 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Had my 1st 3 month check up and my AC1 went from 6.8 to 5.8, very happy with that. Bad news is now my LDL level is high (140). One more thing to try and control...:(

I totally understand just had the same thing happen to me. I think it is because we cut out carbs and sugar and end up replacing it with fat. Such a pain! You are doing great though. That is a fantastic change in your A1C! Great Job!
  • lori7757
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • kyla4u
    kyla4u Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I ran across this thread because I had the same experience myself a couple of months ago. I've lost around 15-20 pounds and had an Hba1c that has gone WAAAAY down (from 9.5 to 6.8) but my cholesterol had gone up. So the trend is for this to drop back down after a while? I actually don't feel like I eat boat loads of fats - I've lost most of my weight by moderating portion size vs. changing the foods that I eat.
  • retiree2006
    Options
    :smile: I had my 6 month dr. appointment today and overall, pleased.

A1c didn't change...still at 5.7 (I was hoping this was a bit lower...but it sure beats the 6.3 from 18 months ago.)

Cholesterol at 194 (was 203 last time)...again, still room for improvement.

Triglycerides are the star of the show...73 today (down from 126 last time...and 174 a year ago).

HDL at 58 (formerly 50 last time and 43 a year ago)

LDL 121 (was 128 before) Again, still could be lower.

So...things are improving a bit at a time. I'm in the "normal" BMI range after being in the obese for many years. But I'm sure the body fat % is still higher than it should be.

The dr. approved of dropping my blood pressure meds to half and said I could also continue to adjust the Metformin depending on how the numbers go. So...overall, I'm pleased! :smile:

Thanks to all for the great support and suggestions!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Awesme report retiree... nice work!
  • Findingme40
    Options
    :smile: I had my 6 month dr. appointment today and overall, pleased.

A1c didn't change...still at 5.7 (I was hoping this was a bit lower...but it sure beats the 6.3 from 18 months ago.)

Cholesterol at 194 (was 203 last time)...again, still room for improvement.

Triglycerides are the star of the show...73 today (down from 126 last time...and 174 a year ago).

HDL at 58 (formerly 50 last time and 43 a year ago)

LDL 121 (was 128 before) Again, still could be lower.

So...things are improving a bit at a time. I'm in the "normal" BMI range after being in the obese for many years. But I'm sure the body fat % is still higher than it should be.

The dr. approved of dropping my blood pressure meds to half and said I could also continue to adjust the Metformin depending on how the numbers go. So...overall, I'm pleased! :smile:

Thanks to all for the great support and suggestions!

Great Job! I know how hard it is to get those numbers down, since I am struggling with them myself! You give me hope!
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Truly wonderful news retiree, congratulations on your hard work and improvements!:drinker:
  • deedee710
    deedee710 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great report!! Congratulations!! I hope to have a better report in a few months as well. You've inspired me! :smile:
  • happygranny13
    happygranny13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    keep up the good work on your A1C. Don't get discouraged.: :smile:
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Great progress with your A1C!!!!! Much easier to get the LDL under control than the A1C so feel proud!
  • retiree2006
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Any improvement is appreciated and I'm hoping the A1c can eventually get even better. Everyone who's shown improvement along the way has been a great inspiration.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's not just you. I've been in the 5% club since March, but my cholesterol was at 138, my doctor wants it below 130. He said exercise is what will bring it down the most, so I need to workout more.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is too bad :) I just got my #s too and they were pretty much the same as 6 months ago... down a few lbs, down a few chol points but my doctor was happy and I will be working on getting better #s in another 6 months :) I am trying not to think about the #s themselves and just improving my diet, getting more exercise and hopefully losing some lbs.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally, blood serum cholesterol at that level is likely not that harmful. You don't start seeing adverse health effects until much higher ranges -- and, interestingly, super high cholesterol correlates to negative health interactions at about the same rate as very low cholesterol.

That's not even going into LDL particle size (large, fluffy LDL being perfectly harmless, small, dense LDL being a concern).

Bottom line for me, as long as my cholesterol is somewhat normal and my triglycerides are under control, I don't sweat it. I'm more cooncerned with the trigs being high than anything else.
  • Findingme40
    Options
    Great job retiree. Your perseverance is paying off!