Introductions!

Options
OhWejo
OhWejo Posts: 19 Member
Hello! My names is Wesley. I live in Vancouver WA. with my husband. Several years ago I started my weight loss journey. At almost 300 hundred pounds I decided to reclaim my life. Over the next few years I got down to 158. As with all weight loss though, it is a journey. I was suffering from anxiety and began to take Lexapro. A month later I weighed 200 pounds. I didn't even know how this was possible in a months time--my doctor said it was simply a possible side effect. That was December of 2011. Since then I have felt defeated and as if I wanted to give up many times. But I have decided that no matter the success or failures of my past, I have to look forward to my future. I have lost a lot of weight and now I have to lose some more. I've done it before and I can do it again. I am not here to give excuses for my past, but to serve up some weight loss realness for my future! What is your story?

Replies

• solavarria
    solavarria Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My name is Samantha. I live in Connecticut (for my whole life). I was always fat and I mean obese. I don't really know what skinny is. At 2.5 years old I weighed 100, so you could just imagine my horror. At almost 16 I reached my highest 180. I know that doesnt seem like a lot but I'm only 5'1" so for me I could barely do anything without that heavy panting. I lost about 30 pounds in about 8 months in my own special way. I got to eat what I wanted and when I wanted and however much I wanted. It was great and the weight was coming off like nothing. I didn't even have to exercise. Of course I plateaued at 150 but I'm okay with that. Now it's time for some real weight loss. My doctor says I should be at 115 at the most but here I am still teetering at that 150 mark. Time to stop half-assing and dive right in.
  • illiana45
    illiana45 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, my name is Blanca. I am hoping joining this group motivates me further into my weight loss journey. I am currently 175.8 but this seems to fluctuate like all the time. It is discouraging because depending on the time of the month it is back up to 179.0 or even 180.0, I have read this is normal but geez... not very encouraging, my goal is 155.0 or less. Anyways, I try to stay within 1200 calories per day and exercise 3-5 times a week, again depending on that time of the month!
    Feel free to add me to your friends' list :)
  • hrsayer
    hrsayer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My name is Heather. I live in Rural Iowa. Two years ago I began my weight loss journey after my son had won his battle with cancer. I felt miserable at 220, so I got on MFP and challenged myself daily with exercise and food choices. It was about 9 months after I started my journey that I found Body By Vi. I thought it was a huge gimmick. Well, as with all things life was changing. I had lost 40 pounds in 9 months without using products. I have also been a full time Master Student in Professional Counseling since 2010, recently graduated. I live with my husband and 7 children. The oldest being my son who had Ewing's Sarcoma (bone cancer) who just turned 18 and moved out of the house. In January I entered my spring term of my graduating year, and developed peri-menopausal symptoms. Needless to say, I've gained back 18 of my 40 pound loss. I began using and promoting Body by Vi and I love it. I like the 90 Day Challenge concept because it allows me to challenge myself for 3 months with focus on what I want to achieve. As of last Monday I weigh 198, I started a 90 Day Challenge, re-dedicated myself to the gym and my Vi-Shape shakes. I love the whole body nutrition that it allows me to have without eating an entire grocery store. I can't wait to join this group for some weekly accountability.
  • hrsayer
    hrsayer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi All!
    My name is Gayle and I love living! I am lucky to have a job I enjoy, but unfortunately it has my butt in a chair for 8-10 hours a day. I know it's not good for me, and I've gained about 15 pounds since starting that I would l-o-v-e to take off.

One of my biggest challenges is getting my butt off the couch - once I get home I tend to stay planted. I am a habitual "Oh, i'll eat this and tomorrow I'll be better" person, and I need to get real and focus on today, everyday!
  • OhWejo
    OhWejo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello Samantha, Blanca, Heather and Gayle! Thank you all for posting! I wanted to start off by apologizing to you all--I did not check in last night as I was not feeling well. But from here on out Mondays will be the day. The reason I chose Monday is that is when the 'MyFitnessPal' app 'starts over' and I thought it would be a good time to check-in. While Mondays are supposed to be 'blah', I think that we can change that and make Mondays empowering!

Samantha, I'm so happy for your weight loss! I too was heavy growing up and it can be difficult. As mentioned I have lost 130 pounds, gained 30 of it back and now I seemed to have leveled off at 200 pounds...but with some changes I too will be able to get back down to my goal weight. Don't stress to much about what you doctor says you should weight...only you know your body better than anyone else, and trust me, you will know when you are at the right weight--even if it doesn't match what your doctor says--you will be happy and healthy!

Blanca, I may not know about 'that time of the month' like you, but it is true that both females and males have hormonal cycles that can affect your body each month. To that point, the good news is, you know what it is! You know that when it is 'that time of the month' you will weight heavier. That doesn't mean that you are 'gaining' weight, it simply means that your body is adjusting. Have you heard of BMR? This is your Base Metabolic Rate--the amount of calories that your body would need if you were in a comatose state and NEVER moved. This is an important number to know. My body NEEDS 1800 calories per day just to survive--eating any less than that for periods of time puts my body into starvation mode and I actually gain weight. When I exercise I am taking away from that 1800 that I need and therefore I need to eat a little more. If you look at my diary, I usually eat over 1800 every single day--and I am still losing weight! 1200 seems to be a bit low especially if you are exercising that many times per week. If you are on a plateau, I would look of BMR calculators--there should be one of MFP and see if you are eating enough. If not, adjust and see how that works. My motto is, you need to eat in order to lose weight! Let us know how your progressing--I'm excited to see you reach your goals!

Heather! It is very nice to meet you. I'm so proud that you are going to school to get your Masters! I have a BA in Psychology and will be returning shortly to get my masters as well! I'm very sorry to hear about your son. It must be hard. My Mother died of cancer, my Grandfather as well--cancer is something that I have had to deal with from a very early age (I'm 31 now) and my heart always goes out to those who may be living with cancer whether personally or someone in their family. Please message me if you ever just need to vent or talk about that. My friends who live in Bakersfield CA. also do Body by Vi. They now work for the company was given a BMW by the company--that is nice--and swear by their products! I sincerely believe that weight loss is a journey, and there are many different roads that you can take, and you have to take the one that is right for you--so congrats on the re-commitment. I look forward to next Monday to check-in! I can't wait to see your progress!

GAYLE! Truth be told, I also sit for most of the day! That can be hard on your body weight wise, I know! I did lose weight while sitting and here is how--I had to work exercise into my daily routine. At work on my 2 fifteen minute breaks and my lunch break and get up and walk around the building. This gives me a chance to go outside (it usually takes 10 minutes) and enjoy a break from my desk. Not only that but doing so adds about 1500-1700 steps each time I go on my walk! I wear a fitbit (a digital pedometer) and keep track of my steps. Doing so makes me motivated to get even more steps in! I also park in the very back of any parking lot so I have to walk further and take the 'long way' to get to places at a store, the mall, etc. Doing these little changes allowed me to lose 130 pounds over a few years! I know that you can do the same. As for the 'eat this now and be better tomorrow thing' here are some quotes that help me. "If you start today, you will be reach your goal one day sooner!" Also if you do happen to eat something that is bad, think of it this way--When you get a flat tire, you don't get out of the car and pop the other three, right? So why would you do that with your weight loss? If you have a bad day, just say, OK, lets fix this and MOVE ON. Hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.

Once again, I am sorry for not checking-in yesterday on the 15th, but we will start next Monday! Who is ready?!? Have a great week! Feel free to ask any questions you may have or post to the group! I am excited for us all and look forward to the changes that we will make in our lives!

Wejo