Grrr Carb Frenzy

Options
tyanna68
tyanna68 Posts: 35 Member
I live in Guam, yesterday our power was out for 6 hours and for some reason went on a carb frenzy. Of course when I got on the scale this morning, I gained 2 of the 3 pounds I lost this week and it was only my first week!! Very discouraged. I live in a house of junk food surrounding me. and the support I get is "are you supposed to eat that" I feel like I just threw money away on food this week just to gain weight back. :laugh: :grumble:

Replies

• cathiwitkowski
    cathiwitkowski Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself, you're only human! Just take it as a lesson and get right back on program and you'll be fine.
  • tyanna68
    Options
    Thanks sweetie! Getting back on the horse!!
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You gotta remember, too - you don't gain two *pounds* literally overnight. There's water fluctuation in there.

Give yourself a good, solid week of sticking *exactly* to plan. if you're craving the junk food in the house - tell yourself you can have a nibble next week. But not THIS week. It's not 'forbidden', it's just not for now, and that's okay.

Then see how much you've lost in that week of being *strictly* on-plan.

When you see that success (and if you're strictly on-plan, weighing and measuring EVERYTHING, and drinking ALL your water, then you WILL), then somehow that junk food loses its appeal. It really does, I promise. :-) Plus, by then, you should have settled into keeping your blood sugar on an even keel, which also helps the cravings go away. You're able to stop and *think*, when you get them, and realize that it's just your brain and your habits - it's not your stomach or true hunger.

Good luck - you CAN do it. You just can't accept the excuses your former self wants to throw at you.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The important thing is that your getting right back on the horse and your not spending a week beating yourself up (and gaining more). We all have moments like that. You also were so smart to reach out for support since your not getting a lot of it at home. Hang in thee. Only 3 days and your back in fat burn and that 2lbs will be gone before your know it!
  • tyanna68
    Options
    What are your thoughts on weighing yourself every day??? I don't really like to but my coach says I should. It discourages me to see it go up and down even by ounces.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on weighing yourself every day??? I don't really like to but my coach says I should. It discourages me to see it go up and down even by ounces.

Oh, my, no. Especially if it's discouraging to you! Weight *will* fluctuate, for all kinds of reasons - water retention, that time of the month, etc.

Try weighing yourself once a week. I like to use my weekly weigh-in as a 'reward'.....I try to stay on-track all week, and make it a 'surprise' to myself, to see how much I've lost.

Now, there are times when I've weighed myself daily-ish - sometimes it can be useful, especially as you're closer to maintenance - you really do want to keep close tabs on it then, so you can nip any gain in the bud. (I still never *track* my weight more than once a week, though.)

But when you're starting out? Ugh, that would have driven me crazy! You're right, it is so discouraging, to expect more, and see less.

I think you should weigh as often as you need to, to be both encouraged, and on top of things. If it's weekly, great. Heck, if it's monthly, that's okay too. You do want to be able to mentally tie your actions to your results, but there are too many other factors happening in your body daily to make that a true 1-to-1 kind of thing.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I agree. Weighing yourself every day can really mess with your head. I tell my clients "If you want to know how much salt you are getting in your lean and green weigh yourself every day. If you want to know how much weight your losing weigh yourself once a week".
  • cathiwitkowski
    cathiwitkowski Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hope I'm not being too controversial here, but I think weighing yourself daily for a period of time (like a week or two) can be beneficial in understanding how much weight can change from day to day and at different hours during the day so that when you go back to regular weekly/monthly/occasional weighing you can understand why there may be a variation and not get upset if the scale goes a pound or four the wrong way.
  • tyanna68
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I just don't want to get so dependent on the scale. When is see it go up a pound I tend to say oh well I might as well eat bad!! For example, I gained last week and totally got discouraged and just ate but then today I started TOM and hit myself on the head. Well no wonder it went up! I got down on myself for nothing!!!!