I'm in Love

Options
HausfrauB
HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
So...about a year ago I was all set to give pole dancing classes a go...and then my grandmother became very sick and passed away. After that I really lost my drive, but...

Two months ago I started pole classes 3x week and it is incredible. I am fat (5'2" 180 lbs and at last check 38% BF), so I've had a harder time with all of the strength moves, but my former competition dancing (back in HS) counts for something because I can rock the choreo and am Gumby compared to my classmates. This is the most fun exercise I've done since my dancing days and it is not to strenuous for my bad knee!

I usually take a pole fitness class, pole dance class, and ballet class every week.

Do any of you have a short set of exercises you do at home daily to help with strength building? Also, how do you combat sore forearms (along the outer edge)?

Also, what is the best way to count pole as exercise on here?

Thanks for reading and any input you have to give! :)

Replies

• Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've started poling within the last few months and absolutely LOVE it!

I've been lifting at the gym a couple days a week to build upper body strength. Haven't had any luck getting rid of arm soreness. I figure it's just a way of life at this point! ;)

As far as adding pole as exercise, I googled how many calories I would burn and added it myself under cardio.

Hope this helps! :)
  • HausfrauB
    Options
    Hi Brandi!

Thanks for the tip on googling the calorie burn--sometimes I need the obvious answer to be pointed out to me. haha

Glad to know I'm not alone with the armhurt. In the last week I noticed my forearms had muscles where I never noticed muscle before. Feeling a bit like Popeye. :P
  • HausfrauB
    Options
    *too strenuous
  • Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Been there! I felt like I was going to die if I lifted my arms after my first class. Luckily, I got to a point where only new moves make my arms hurt badly!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it's good!

Be CAREFUL with the forearms. If you're feeling ANY pain then stop and let it rest - that is, don't do any split grip stuff (and NEVER do spins in split grip, it just wrecks your bottom wrist when you can just flip your wrist over). That is usually a really weak muscle before you start (it's not really used in normal life) and if you damage it and get tendonitis you may be off the pole entirely for months. Don't do anything that aggravates the forearm pain. As a result it may hurt a bit more as it starts to heal, but please keep split grip to a minimum for a while and let your tendons and muscles recover.
  • JoleneBell5
    Options
    A GREAT tip I can give you is to check out studioveena.com. She is a personal trainer and has amazing lessons on there that have helped me tremendously, including strength training for pole, conditioning and everything you could probably think of. Love it!
  • muroo
    muroo Posts: 68
    Options
    A GREAT tip I can give you is to check out studioveena.com. She is a personal trainer and has amazing lessons on there that have helped me tremendously, including strength training for pole, conditioning and everything you could probably think of. Love it!

I second StudioVeena! You can get a free 3 days of all the lessons when you sign up.
  • Erachma
    Erachma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1) it’s Amazing how we see pole dancing is for everybody and every body type!
    2) forearms and arms and everything sometimes hurts (after my first classes I used to find it incredibly difficult to sit/rise hahahah... and still I was excited to the next class)! As the other girls advised, though, take good care of your wrists, they’ll get stronger!
    3) Im also trying to build strength, and several people advised me to do more calistenics (my pole instructor is very fond of planking exercises) and a bit of cardio... oh.

Best luck!!