Keto "Bread" Recipes

Options
Hi Fellow Keto/Paleo Followers!

I thought we could make a thread for "bread" that is keto/paleo friendly, as I'm happily enjoying French "Toast" that I've made through a modified recipe. I am still craving that delicious, yeast-filled bread from the "past", and was hoping others might be able to share recipes that can mimic and satisfy that "yeasty" bread taste we all love so much!

=)

Here is a recipe to kick off the thread. It is basically a "1 Minute Muffin" recipe that I have modified.

French "Toast"

Ingredients:

1/4 C. Almond or Flax Meal, depending on your preference. You can always mix them together if you wish
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp butter or coconut oil
2 Large Eggs

Optional:
1/2 tsp Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
1 tblsp Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
1/4 tsp Stevia or 1 tsp Powdered Coconut Sap
1 tsp Flax Seeds
1/2 tsp Cinnamon

Directions:

1. Mix together dry ingredients
2. Add 1 egg, mix all together until smooth
3. Place into a round, flat, microwave-safe dish (I use a smaller corningware dish)
4. Microwave for 1 minute
5. Beat the other egg in a dish, then soak the "bread" in it
6. Put into a greased pan, and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until light brown
7. Put your favorite low-carb topping, such as low-carb syrup and enjoy!

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    2 eggs 2 ounces cream cheese, mix really well (i do mine in a mini food processor)

fry in a pan with coconut oil. i usually add truvia and torani syrup. its almost like a pancake or really flat french toast.

its in the database as cream cheese pancakes
  • itsadogslife
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    that sounds amazing. and so simple too, def gonna try that
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am now the proud owner of a packet of flaxmeal and a packet of coconut flour, both purchased on the net at huge expense.

Does anyone have a recipe that uses BOTH to create some kind of bread or cracker with which to eat pate?
  • CeliMosley
    Options
    Here's an amazing bread recipe:

Maria Emmerich sub/buns bread:

1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (or 1/2 cup coconut flour)
    5 TBS psyllium husk powder (no substitutes)
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp Celtic sea salt
    3 egg whites (8 egg whites if using coconut flour)
    1 cup BOILING water (or MARINARA - for more Tomato Basil Bread!)

OPTION 2: Use 2 whole eggs (Almond flour version) or 4 whole eggs (coconut flour version). If you are having trouble with it rising using whole eggs you can try egg whites.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, psyllium powder (no substitutes: flaxseed meal won't work), baking powder and salt. Mix until dry ingredients are well combined. Add in the eggs and mix until a thick dough. Add boiling water or marinara into the bowl. Mix until well combined and dough firms up.

Form into 4 to 5 mini subs (the dough will rise about 2 to 3 times so I start mine as a 1 inch disk, see picture below) or one large sub/loaf and place onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 65 minutes (50 minutes for smaller shapes like buns). Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely. Cut open with a serrated knife. Fill with desired fillings. Makes 5 servings.

NOTE! If you get a hollow bread, use less psyllium. We found that even within the same brand of psyllium (Jay Robb in our case) it can vary by how much it will rise. It there is a bubble the psyllium is too active and wants to rise too much. We had to cut back to 2 Tablespoons in our case and then it was great. The batter will be pretty sticky and almost runny but it will work (you can add an extra 1/4 to 1/2 cup almond flour if you want a less sticky dough and maybe slightly denser result).

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
    Traditional Sub Bread = 198 calories, 6g fat, 4g protein, 41 carbs, trace fiber (41 effective carbs)
    Almond Flour Sub (egg whites) = 199 calories, 13.3g fat, 8.2g protein, 12.1g carb, 7g fiber (5.1g effective carbs)
    Coconut Flour Sub (egg whites) = 136 calories, 1.7g fat, 8.2g protein, 21.2g carb, 17.5g fiber (3.7g effective carbs)

Link to her amazing site with TONS of great keto friendly recipes, lifesaver! :
    http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/
  • chirpinggalaxy
    Options
    I haven't made this yet, but am thinking of trying it today.

When I first started looking into this diet seriously, I found the Diet Doctor site. On this site is a wealth of information, including this bread:

Oopsies
    6–8 depending on size.

3 eggs
    100 grams (3.5 ounces) of cream cheese
    a pinch of salt
    ½ tablespoon fiberhusk / psyllium seed husks (can be excluded)
    ½ teaspoon baking powder (can be excluded)

Separate the eggs, with the egg whites in one bowl and the egg yolks in another.
    Whip the egg whites together with the salt until very stiff. You should be able to turn the bowl over without the egg whites moving.
    Mix the egg yolks and the cream cheese well. If you choose, add the psyllium seed husk and baking powder (this makes the Oopsie more bread-like).
    Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mix – try to keep the air in the egg whites.
    Put 6 large or 8 smaller oopsies on a baking tray.
    Bake in the middle of the oven at 150° C (300° F) for about 25 minutes – until they turn golden.
    You can eat Oopsies as bread or use them as a bun for a hotdog or hamburger. You can also put different kinds of seeds on them before baking them, for instance poppy, sesame or sunflower seeds. One big Oopsie can be used for a swiss roll: Add a generous layer of whipped cream and some berries. Enjoy.

Source: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I used flaxmeal to make a muffin and it gave me horrendous heartburn that obliged me to suck loads of antacids and drink three pints of water to shift it down into my stomach - never again! I'll only use it again if it's diluted with other ingredients.

So now I have nearly two large bags of flax, and also a bag of coconut flour, purchased via the Net at huge expense. I also have eggs and cream cheese.

So if anyone knows of bread or cracker recipes that I can make from these ingredients, I'd love to hear it! I do not have any psyllium.

(Have seen the one above, will try that for a start!)
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump for later! :drinker:
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Bump for bread ideas
  • chirpinggalaxy
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I just tried this recipe and it was amazing! The texture was pretty bread-like, and the flavor was nice. I really enjoyed this!
    Hi Fellow Keto/Paleo Followers!

I thought we could make a thread for "bread" that is keto/paleo friendly, as I'm happily enjoying French "Toast" that I've made through a modified recipe. I am still craving that delicious, yeast-filled bread from the "past", and was hoping others might be able to share recipes that can mimic and satisfy that "yeasty" bread taste we all love so much!

=)

Here is a recipe to kick off the thread. It is basically a "1 Minute Muffin" recipe that I have modified.

French "Toast"

Ingredients:

1/4 C. Almond or Flax Meal, depending on your preference. You can always mix them together if you wish
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp butter or coconut oil
    2 Large Eggs

Optional:
    1/2 tsp Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
    1 tblsp Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
    1/4 tsp Stevia or 1 tsp Powdered Coconut Sap
    1 tsp Flax Seeds
    1/2 tsp Cinnamon

Directions:

1. Mix together dry ingredients
    2. Add 1 egg, mix all together until smooth
    3. Place into a round, flat, microwave-safe dish (I use a smaller corningware dish)
    4. Microwave for 1 minute
    5. Beat the other egg in a dish, then soak the "bread" in it
    6. Put into a greased pan, and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until light brown
    7. Put your favorite low-carb topping, such as low-carb syrup and enjoy!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have made the oopsie rolls posted above. I like to use these instead of burger buns. I make a huge burger, some bacon, cheese, salad and use oopsie rolls as the buns.

It also works well as a pizza base. Cover a pizza plate with baking parchment and then spread the mix out thinly and bake. Then add your toppings. I have some pics of these so will post them later from home.

Will try the french toast and pancake mixes!
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    To answer your question about a cracker or bread for pate'...

Instead of either of those options, I love slicing a cucumber up and using it for things like pate' or even brie. A little dash of a seasoning salt like Borsari on the brie makes it even better. (tho I'm not doing dairy just now...)
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Here's an amazing bread recipe:

Maria Emmerich sub/buns bread:

1 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (or 1/2 cup coconut flour)
    5 TBS psyllium husk powder (no substitutes)
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp Celtic sea salt
    3 egg whites (8 egg whites if using coconut flour)
    1 cup BOILING water (or MARINARA - for more Tomato Basil Bread!)

OPTION 2: Use 2 whole eggs (Almond flour version) or 4 whole eggs (coconut flour version). If you are having trouble with it rising using whole eggs you can try egg whites.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, psyllium powder (no substitutes: flaxseed meal won't work), baking powder and salt. Mix until dry ingredients are well combined. Add in the eggs and mix until a thick dough. Add boiling water or marinara into the bowl. Mix until well combined and dough firms up.

Form into 4 to 5 mini subs (the dough will rise about 2 to 3 times so I start mine as a 1 inch disk, see picture below) or one large sub/loaf and place onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 65 minutes (50 minutes for smaller shapes like buns). Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely. Cut open with a serrated knife. Fill with desired fillings. Makes 5 servings.

NOTE! If you get a hollow bread, use less psyllium. We found that even within the same brand of psyllium (Jay Robb in our case) it can vary by how much it will rise. It there is a bubble the psyllium is too active and wants to rise too much. We had to cut back to 2 Tablespoons in our case and then it was great. The batter will be pretty sticky and almost runny but it will work (you can add an extra 1/4 to 1/2 cup almond flour if you want a less sticky dough and maybe slightly denser result).

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
    Traditional Sub Bread = 198 calories, 6g fat, 4g protein, 41 carbs, trace fiber (41 effective carbs)
    Almond Flour Sub (egg whites) = 199 calories, 13.3g fat, 8.2g protein, 12.1g carb, 7g fiber (5.1g effective carbs)
    Coconut Flour Sub (egg whites) = 136 calories, 1.7g fat, 8.2g protein, 21.2g carb, 17.5g fiber (3.7g effective carbs)

Link to her amazing site with TONS of great keto friendly recipes, lifesaver! :
    http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/
    I love love LOVE this recipe and use a tweaked version of it all the time.
    It is one of the only low carb breads that I've found that doesnt have a huge eggy flavor (I cant stand the flavor of eggs).
    My husband (who isnt a low carber) eats them as well. They have a great nutty flavor (reminds hubby of a multi-grain bread).

To use less egg, I sub chia gel for 2 of the eggs.
    I also use some coconut flour in place of the almond flour.

Yummmmm!!!!
  • joceemartinez84
    joceemartinez84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I need this in my life. I am hating the other recipes I found that are waaaay too egg-tasting. Thank you!
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Great recipes and feedback everyone!
  • joceemartinez84
    joceemartinez84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I found this one while desperately looking for keto-friendly bread alternative. I tried the oopsie bread but did not like the strong egg taste...I baked this one lastnight for this weekend's camping trip...haven't eaten any of it yet, but i looks like bread and smelt absolutely heavenly! LOL

http://itsthewooo.blogspot.com/2012/11/idiot-proof-ketogenic-flax-bread.html
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NurseU2BeFit
    NurseU2BeFit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Zero Carb Flax Bread

Ingredients

2 cups milled flax seed
    5 egg whites
    2 whole eggs
    5 tablespoons flax oil, coconut oil, or olive oil
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup water
    3 packets Stevia

Directions
    Mix all dry ingredients then add the wet. Whisk together and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. This recipe can also be made into muffins: divide batter into muffin pans and bake for about 10-15 minutes.
    Since developing this recipe, I have made many different flavor varieties. A sweet chocolate bread can be made by adding Capella Flavor Drops. Some other awesome additions are pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and protein powder flavor of choice. Great topped with almond or peanut butter!

Nutrition info per serving (1 serving) 145 cal, 11 g fat, less than 1 g carbs, 6.5g protein

NOTE: This bread tasted great, was moist. (I used coconut oil in this loaf). I ended up cooking mine 45 min in a loaf pan in my oven. One thing I would change would be the amount of salt. It was a bit salty for me but keep in mind I do not salt my food. I think it is a matter of personal taste here. I have to say I prefer the taste of this bread over the flavor of nut breads. I do not eat a lot of bread but every once in a while french toast would be a wonderful treat for some one that eats low carb and grain/gluten free.This bread tasted SOOOOO good though! Now if I can keep the family from eating it all up in 24 hours!!!! Now I have my work cut out for me. Hubby told me I may have to make another loaf. Ha! I just may have to hide it;)

Source: http://www.theezwhey.com/page1/page1.html

This recipe of EZ Whey was also featured at T-Nation
    http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/flaxprotein_bread_recipe