9 mile training run is my nemesis again!

Options
babyblues31
babyblues31 Posts: 72 Member
I am training for my second half marathon (the same race I did last year) and today was my 9 mile training run. Ugggh...I swear the same distance killed me last year! I feel like poo, like I am extremely exhausted and ready to throw up and die! Where is my second wind???? I can't find it! I recall the same distance last year the first time was rough, but the good news is from then on I was fine. I just don't know what I am doing differently this time, my goal is to beat my time (sub 2 hrs, last year 2:03) but at this rate it is looking grim! Just needed to vent! It's not like this is the first time I have done this...:angry:

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Hope you get it figured out. Are yo hydrating enough? Around that time that dehydration can get you.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Are you running your training runs too fast?
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I used to feel soo beat, then I realized I wasn't drinking enough liquids! I always carry water now, or a sports drink. Are you eating enough? In the heat? Gels for energy?
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Some tips which have always helped me...

- Don't do your long run at "race pace" - go a bit slower so you're not killing yourself. There's nothing wrong with a brief walk-break if you need it.
    - If it's hot, take a sports drink out with you, and some money to get an extra bottle of water. Lack of hydration has made a 10mile run unbearable at mile 2 for me before! I tend to need hydration for anything above 6 miles in cold weather, 4 in hot.
    - experiment with times of day. Personally, i'm a morning runner but some people prefer early evening/afternoon.
    - Music might help; a few tracks can make the long slog go a bit quicker

Also, I try to only work on one of the "evil trinity" per run - Distance Hills OR Speed! Combining 2 or more is asking for trouble in early stages of training!

Good luck!
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree about the hydration. I have to drink every mile right now where as in the fall, winter & spring, I can usually run 10 miles without any hydration. Not sure where you're at, but I'm near Phoenix & it's SO hot even at 5 AM when I run. My pace has slowed considerably, but it always does about this time of year. Your body is working harder to cool itself down.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I am training for my second half marathon (the same race I did last year) and today was my 9 mile training run. Ugggh...I swear the same distance killed me last year! I feel like poo, like I am extremely exhausted and ready to throw up and die! Where is my second wind???? I can't find it! I recall the same distance last year the first time was rough, but the good news is from then on I was fine. I just don't know what I am doing differently this time, my goal is to beat my time (sub 2 hrs, last year 2:03) but at this rate it is looking grim! Just needed to vent! It's not like this is the first time I have done this...:angry:

Where does this run fit in your training plan?

Training log?

If you did a 2 hour Half, you can run a mile in just under 8:00 and you should be doing long runs at around a 10:30 pace, +/- about 20 seconds. To maintain that level of effort, your pace should go up as temperature exceed 60ºF and you can also factor in humidity. Are you taking these factors into account?
  • babyblues31
    Options
    I am in Wisconsin and my usual runs are in the evening but really I go whenever hubby is available to watch the kids! :wink: Sunday had a high heat index of like 95 and I had to run around 2pm. Worst time of day! So yes it was very hot and after I thought more about it, I loaded up in Gatorade (and I keep some in my mailbox) but I have not been good about water throughout the day. It is also very hilly around my house, I am in farming country. I think it is just frustrating me because I thought I was doing the same thing as last year and it was hotter. Hoping things go "uphill" from here (or should I say "downhill" because it's easier?!) Thanks! :happy:
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It sounds like maybe the heat just got the better of you? Also, I'm one of those people that needs a gu or some other kind of food-type substance for anything longer than ~7 miles; since you're building up your mileage again it might be good to ensure you have enough go-power to keep yourself upright out there, in addition to keeping yourself hydrated! :smile:
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to read this because tomorrow morning is my 9 miler, but I have found that around 8 or 9, if I haven't hyrdrated, the run gets away from me. So I think the hydration is key. How do you all carry the water on your runs? I haven't accessorized just yet.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I usually just carry a sports water bottle - I've got used to it over the years.

I have a belt, but I've yet to try it out.

For longer/hotter runs, I either take money and make sure I run past a shop, or I do 2 loops past the house and call back for more water.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to read this because tomorrow morning is my 9 miler, but I have found that around 8 or 9, if I haven't hyrdrated, the run gets away from me. So I think the hydration is key. How do you all carry the water on your runs? I haven't accessorized just yet.

I have a water belt with 2 bottles. It works well but I should have got the one with 4. It's just too hot where I live in the summer. There is also a water fountain on my long route that I can stop at.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have the water bottle belt that holds four 8oz bottles My boyfriend laughs at me and tells me I look ridiculous, but I find it the easiest for me. Boyfriend likes the wear a camelbak, but honestly the last thing I want is something strapped on my shoulders to my back.
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree that it sounds like a hydration issue, but the mental part of running really hits me at about 8-9 miles. Anything under and I feel like it is no big deal, but I dread 8+ mile runs.

That said, I am training for my second Half in late August (same one I did last year) and had a 10 mile long run this past weekend. It was gloriously overcast and even spit rain on me occassionally. To add to this great day, several center pivots were hitting the road along my route, so I got some water to cool me down. It was a great run and just what I needed to get past my mental block. I plan to do another 10 miler this weekend and am acutally looking forward to it! Good luck to you.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Some tips which have always helped me...

- Don't do your long run at "race pace" - go a bit slower so you're not killing yourself. There's nothing wrong with a brief walk-break if you need it.
    - If it's hot, take a sports drink out with you, and some money to get an extra bottle of water. Lack of hydration has made a 10mile run unbearable at mile 2 for me before! I tend to need hydration for anything above 6 miles in cold weather, 4 in hot.
    - experiment with times of day. Personally, i'm a morning runner but some people prefer early evening/afternoon.
    - Music might help; a few tracks can make the long slog go a bit quicker

Also, I try to only work on one of the "evil trinity" per run - Distance Hills OR Speed! Combining 2 or more is asking for trouble in early stages of training!

Good luck!

Awesome tips!! Thanks I needed this!
  • babyblues31
    Options
    Thought I would update this post that I finished the half on Saturday in a time of 2:00:40! Last year was 2:03:19 so I am happy with the PR! :drinker:

I will say that this year there were multiple people down on the course (ambulance tending to them, etc) starting around mile 11. Who knows how many behind me that I did not see. The day started out decent but it got warm FAST! That kind of freaked me out to see people (all were younger men) down on the course. :frown:

I think I did better about the hydration as my training went on. I am not one who likes to carry anything either, but I may experiment with it more. I was with the 2:00 pacers until about mile 7, but I noticed they were packing bottles rather than walking through the water stations to hydrate like I was, that is when they got further and further ahead of me. They must have finished in at least 1:58 if not better.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the PR!!!
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the PR as well. Good luck experimenting with the hydration. I have accessorized with a waist belt and it makes all the differences for me on my long runs. Always learning.