Disney Princess Half

Options
Hello! I’m looking for advice on the Disney Princess Half. Have any of you on MFP been to the half? I really want to go but I have a few questions. Did you enjoy the race? Where did you stay? Did you go with friends or by yourself? I am interested in making it my first half because it is my 30th birthday weekend!

Replies

• RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I ran it in 2011 and I am running it again in 2014. It was my second half marathon, and my mom came to Disney with me gor a girls' weekend - we live on opposite sides of the country, so that was something special for us to do.

You can get discounted hotel rooms for the race weekend. We stayed at the All Star Movies resort and it was fine. There was a shuttle from the hotel to the race, which is why I really recommend staying at one of the resorts on the Disney property that has the shuttle (they dont all have the shuttle to the race). The race starts at like 5:30am so it is a bit cool in the morning, which I really like. The race is a lot of fun - I think it is organized really well, though I think we did walk like a mile from where the shuttle dropped us off to where the actual corrals were lined up. Tons of porta potties. There are characters all along the race, and you can stop and get your picture taken. I didnt do this, but a lot of people did - if you are in the middle corrals or back, there will be lines for pictures, though. The only part I didnt like about the race is that on the way to the finish line - probably mile 10 or 11 you run over an overpass, and its slanted. I learned the hard way to stay towards the bottom of the slant - not the top. I ended up injured after the race, but it was not due to the course itself - I didnt train very well. Lots of people are dressed up in costume. Honestly, it is one of the more fun races. There are a LOT of people who run the race, so it will be very crowded.

When I landed at the MCO airport the day before the race, I think we waited over an hour for a shuttle to the resort. I thought this was normal since its Disney, but then I went on vacation to Disney last labor day weekend with the boyfriend, and we didnt wait at all for a shuttle, so just be prepared that there will be a ton of people there for the event.
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm running it in 2014! It's my first half!

BTW, ALL of the resorts are host resorts this year, so all of them will have buses to and from the race. There are so many people that run it now that they went ahead and included all the resorts so no worries about that.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I ran it this year and it was pretty good. The only real problems I had with it were the humidity (I live in San Diego) and the bottleneck that happens at the Castle. I understand that NO ONE runs Disney for time but it gets crazy right there. Otherwise the water stops were great the volunteers were wonderful and you have characters along the course. Please make sure that you can run in in at least a 14 minute mile because the castle and other things will slow you down a bit. They will pick you up if you don't make the time requirement.

We stayed at the Port Orleans (French Quarter) and it was very easy to get to the race from there. The buses to the parks were a bit slower then normal because of the huge amount of people in for the race. The staff were all very nice and the rooms were ok but I think next time we'll go for one of the closer resorts that are the next level up. The room was fine for me and my Mom (girls weekend) but not if you are staying with kids.

ETA I normally travel with two small boys so I base everything off of if it would work for them.
  • TokiDokiGirl12
    TokiDokiGirl12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is great info as this will be my first Glass Slipper/Princess run.
  • imhisprincess02
    Options
    I'm running the princess half.Marathon. I'm looking for a training and possible running buddy for the race. Please let me know! Lov. Having motivational buddies!
  • mdedgerton
    mdedgerton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    m running the princess half.Marathon. I'm looking for a training and possible running buddy for the race. Please let me know! Lov. Having motivational buddies!
  • mdedgerton
    Options
    Sorry for the same misspelled posting twice. The other post is from a new account I made because I couldn't get into this one. Problems fixed. New account had been deactivated to stop confusion.

Still looking for a motivational training buddy for the princess half.
  • padisneyfour
    Options
    Hi! I am new to this group-actually just found it! My girlfriend from highschool and I will be doing the royal Family 5K in feb 2014. It will be her firs 5Kt-she lives in florida and my second 5K!I dont live in florida... would love to have more "disney run" friends!
  • emyloohootoo
    emyloohootoo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This was a super helpful review!
  • emyloohootoo
    emyloohootoo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yay! Me too - I need a princess buddy! Flying to FL alone!! But really excited. Are you going to go in costume?
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Awesome :) I did the Tinkerbell 1/2 last year for my 30th (it was actually the day after my birthday) and it was the BEST way to reign in a new era of your life :):)

I am running the tink and princess in 2014 because it was that amazing. The tink will be ON my bday this year.

Oh the questions. My hubby trained and ran with me but we were at vastly different paces so we didn't hang long together. The Tink is in CA, but I've been to Disney FL a few times and highly recommend staying ON Disney property. Another tip, which I highly advise if you have the flexibility is if you wanted to spend a day or two at the parks have those days be Sunday/Monday NOT Fri/Sat/Sun because you'll be soooo tired by Sunday morning. Also, the parks will be less crowded Mon/Tue.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm doing both the Tink and Princess next year as well. I'm training now and so looking forward to doing the Princess Half.
  • mdedgerton
    Options
    I'll be in a Rapunzel running "costume". It'll be my first run in general. I'm really excited!! Especially for all of the new running friends I've made!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on my costume. I have too many ideas and can't decide which direction to go.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    I'm fairly certain I'm going to be Merida...I have the hair ability and as sweaty as it may be I looked so dumb in all my pics last year as silvermist with my hair pulled back. I'm getting so excited.

How's everyone's training going? I was saying I would start on time and ofc I didn't. I have run up to 7.5 miles at this point. I am running a 10k at Berkely weekend after next (So hubby can get into a better corral.) I did some speed work last night, for me speed runs b/w 7.5 and 8 mph.....My 7.5 mile avg was 10 min 10 seconds but I know how hard it gets for me around mile 9 from last year so I'm trying to get more long runs in this year than last. I use some of the Galloway training ideas and modify at times. For instance I may run 3 on 1 off OR run 4 on (the third minute at a slower jog) then 1.5 off. It helps to give my mind some variance to think about.
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain I'm going to be Merida...I have the hair ability and as sweaty as it may be I looked so dumb in all my pics last year as silvermist with my hair pulled back. I'm getting so excited.

How's everyone's training going? I was saying I would start on time and ofc I didn't. I have run up to 7.5 miles at this point. I am running a 10k at Berkely weekend after next (So hubby can get into a better corral.) I did some speed work last night, for me speed runs b/w 7.5 and 8 mph.....My 7.5 mile avg was 10 min 10 seconds but I know how hard it gets for me around mile 9 from last year so I'm trying to get more long runs in this year than last. I use some of the Galloway training ideas and modify at times. For instance I may run 3 on 1 off OR run 4 on (the third minute at a slower jog) then 1.5 off. It helps to give my mind some variance to think about.

Hope you did well on your 10K and got your time submitted! :)

I'm due for 8 miles next week, I've done 7 & 8 previously but that's as high as I got before an injury set me back. Pretty excited, the race is in 78 days!!!!!!!!!

I'm doing Cinderella since it's my first half and I figured she was about as princess-y as ya get!

Hope everyone's training is going well!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options

Hope you did well on your 10K and got your time submitted! :)

I'm due for 8 miles next week, I've done 7 & 8 previously but that's as high as I got before an injury set me back. Pretty excited, the race is in 78 days!!!!!!!!!

I'm doing Cinderella since it's my first half and I figured she was about as princess-y as ya get!

Hope everyone's training is going well!

I did get my 10k time submitted - but too late for the Tink I'll be in E ugh. I got a huge set back in Dec when I had to travel w/ my grandma when she went into the hospital for her heart emergency. I spent 3 weeks there not training more than twice.....so been playing catch up. It is also why it has taken me so long to respond to you as that all started Dec 1. On top of that my training partner - hubby - smashed his knee into the dashboard while rear ended so his time is now also at a set back.

Hope you're training is progressing much better. I know the New Balance shoes this year offer pretty Cinderella versions - I wish they'd offer more princess and not micky miney or goofy. I would totally take 2 (one to wear out and one for special occasions forever...) of Merida, Rapunzle, Ariel, Belle .....
  • dreamer12781
    Options
    Hey ya'll! I'm training for this and I need some encouragement badly! I ran the princess last year (my first half) and a Rock n' Roll half later in the year. So I thought I'd be ambitious and sign up for the Glass Slipper Challenge. Definitely a challenge, but fun, right? Well... now I'm 9 weeks into my first trimester and too nauseous to train more than once a week. I'm only up to about 6 miles. Help!

PS- did you ever see a preggers Cinderella? You will now! I won't be showing much, but I'm trying to motivate myself with a fun costume. Fingers crossed...
  • Jziller
    Jziller Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My goal this year is to train and run the Princess Half 2015. I can't wait to hear all your success stories from this year!!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Options
    Hey ya'll! I'm training for this and I need some encouragement badly! I ran the princess last year (my first half) and a Rock n' Roll half later in the year. So I thought I'd be ambitious and sign up for the Glass Slipper Challenge. Definitely a challenge, but fun, right? Well... now I'm 9 weeks into my first trimester and too nauseous to train more than once a week. I'm only up to about 6 miles. Help!

PS- did you ever see a preggers Cinderella? You will now! I won't be showing much, but I'm trying to motivate myself with a fun costume. Fingers crossed...

I have never seen a pregger Cinderella :) I did not sign up for the glass slipper challenge. I have no idea about pregnant running - but I do know you can pretty much walk a very very brisk pace and finish under time. As far as there still being 35 days I know that I got behind on training because of a family issue that needed my attention most of December. I entered the last week of December not having run more than 10k (6.2 miles) a few times. I am now up to 12 miles with the Tinkerbell being this coming Sunday - it is rough and I know my time wont be as good but I feel being it is my second 1/2 and remembering what it was like the first time that I will be 'okay' to finish better than last years time (2:27) but not my original goal of under 2:00. I hope that gives you some idea how at least another female body in training under that time constraint has worked out - again I have no idea how being preggo would change this and everyone pregnancy is so different. I've seen women weight lift and I've seen women not get out of bed for 9 months....