Constantly over on fat....

Options
becka63
becka63 Posts: 712 Member
My diary shows that I constantly go over on fat. I have it set at either 20 or 25% as per Heybale's spreadsheet.

Quite a bit of that fat is from things like cottage cheese, ground almonds and pb, so is that as bad as say the fat that was in my chorizo this evening?

Or is it all just fat?

And if so, can anyone suggest alternatives that will still give me protein or is it something I don't need to be that concerned with?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• becka63
    Options
    25% fat is my setting.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem.

I found that the 2% cottage cheese actually had less carbs and more protein anyway, or at least the same. Meaning those fat calories could be used elsewhere.

And no, not all fats are created equal. Chorizo is worst there, then PB if hydrogenated oil, in which case switch to something a tad more natural.
  • becka63
    Options
    Pb is whole earth, so is natural. Interesting about the cottage cheese. Is it the same for Greek yoghurt?

Yeah, chorizo is my vice!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I always get the 2% Greek yogurt actually, though there is tons more variety with 0% fat.
    Actually, I've settled on Chobana because their 2% has better protein than the other 2% variety.
    If I don't get some fat in there to slow absorption, it has noticeable effect on blood sugar drop later.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I have my fat set to 30% and I often go over that. Almost all my fat intake is from healthy sources (nuts, seeds, coconut oil, EEVO, nut butters, etc). I don't worry about it too much unless it's causing me to be low on my protein levels. Fat helps me stay full and feel satisfied.
  • becka63
    Options
    Thanks. I guess I'll keep an eye on how my fat is being spread around, as it were. As long as most of it comes from natural pb, ground almonds I shan't panic!
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Fat can take up over 50% of my diet sometimes, but it's fat from seeds, peanut butter, eggs, bacon, extra virgin olive oil, butter, etc. so it's all good fat. As long as I control my carbs I'm always still good :)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have my fat set to 30%. I tend to get in my fat from nuts, avocado, coconut oils, nut butters, etc as opposed to diary. I shoot for the non-fat dairy items. That helps keep the fat under control.
  • becka63
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments, plenty to think about there. It doesn't seem to have affected me this week, although I realise that it's only one week!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set to 40% Carbs, 30% Protein & 30% Fat, and that has worked well for me. Like Lucia, I eat non fat dairy (just because I like it more) and get fats from nuts, nut butters and olive & coconut oils...
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I go over all the time.

I just like to make sure most of the time the fat is coming from "good" sources vs bad (pastries, fried food). I don't really like nonfat dairy. I only use nonfat greek in a handful of brands. I do 2% most of the time. I have switched mostly to almond milk in my lattes! Because I like it better.
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have my fat set at 50%. Fat actually helps your body in weight loss. Granted, you have to eat the right fats, but eating fat does not make you fat.