New to the Group..Need some guidance please!

Options
Chrissysftns
Chrissysftns Posts: 113 Member
Hi there! I was referred to this group by a friend. I haven't been successful at dropping numbers on the scale...really only about once or twice, but I can't really pin point what I did to lose that week :mad:

Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc) :
Height: 5'9
Weight: 175 lbs
BF%: 24-25ish?

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average?

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!)
not too sure

Do you use a food scale and measure everything?
For the most part

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)
Yes

Do you take cheat days or days off?
I usually do a cheat meal once a week..sometimes I go over my calorie limit on Sundays in addition to my cheat meal that past saturday.

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?
3 lbs or so ...for Years...

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity withing the last couple of months?
I have a desk job. 40 hours a week. I lift "heavy" 5-6x's a week followed by HIIT cardio sessions...My HIIT sessions are between 10-25 minutes long

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period.
stalled at 175+ for the past year

Are you breastfeeding?
No

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS?
No

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    tagging
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read Sidesteel and Sara's advice.
  • Chrissysftns
    Options
    BUMP
  • SideSteel
    Options
    BUMP

Please do not self-bump posts until 48 hours per our request.
  • Chrissysftns
    Options
    BUMP

Wow! I am so dumb! lol I thought that people wrote "Bump" so that it is easier to find on their page.

I just read that peole Reply with "Bump" to get their post higher up on the forum..to get a quicker response..Not my intentions at all!
    My apologies :flowerforyou:
  • SideSteel
    Options
    BUMP

Wow! I am so dumb! lol I thought that people wrote "Bump" so that it is easier to find on their page.

I just read that peole Reply with "Bump" to get their post higher up on the forum..to get a quicker response..Not my intentions at all!

No worries.

Once you've posted 1 time in a thread, it will show up under your "My Topics" section and it should also appear on your wall I believe.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    BUMP

Well I bumped for that reason. But since you started the post, it should have automatically appeared on your recent topics list.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Please open your diary and reply here when you have it set to open/public.
  • Chrissysftns
    Options
    Set to Public
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I just ran your data for the past month.

Your average intake is as follows, and consider that unless you are weighing everything consistently and continuously, you are likely eating more than this:

1828kcal
    155c
    73f
    94p

I will reply to this shortly with a recommendation, but we have a question or two first, Sara is typing that out. You do not need to reply to this post of mine as I'll be using the above information later and I wanted to type it here both so that you know, and so that I don't need to run this average later when we give you a new recommendation.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!

When you say you measure your food accurately for the most part, could you be more specific. What do you weigh with your scale? What do you measure? What types of things do you not weigh or measure? Do you log everything, including condiments etc?
  • Chrissysftns
    Options
    Hi Guys :smile:

Okay, so some of the things I do not weigh are fruits...I will usually go by what MFP has listed for a "medium" sized banana, or a "small" orange. However, I do measure grapes, although I don't know how accurate the nutritional information is on here.

At times I may "eyeball" a couple tablespoons of dressing instead of actually measuring it. However, it's very rare that I eat salad dressing...
    BBQ sauce I eat pretty often and I also eyeball it, ...I guess I need to start measuring, huh?
    I eat Turkey bacon every morning, but I do not measure that; I just go by the nutritional info on the package i.e. 4 strips = x amount of cals etc.
    I can honestly say that I will eat a Few grapes, or maybe a few almonds OR something along that affect and not log it..because I figure it can't possibly affect my weight. Okay, I know that sounds dumb...lol

But other than that, I am pretty consistent with logging/weighing/and measuring everything...
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Hi Guys :smile:

Okay, so some of the things I do not weigh are fruits...I will usually go by what MFP has listed for a "medium" sized banana, or a "small" orange. However, I do measure grapes, although I don't know how accurate the nutritional information is on here.

At times I may "eyeball" a couple tablespoons of dressing instead of actually measuring it. However, it's very rare that I eat salad dressing...
    BBQ sauce I eat pretty often and I also eyeball it, ...I guess I need to start measuring, huh?
    I eat Turkey bacon every morning, but I do not measure that; I just go by the nutritional info on the package i.e. 4 strips = x amount of cals etc.
    I can honestly say that I will eat a Few grapes, or maybe a few almonds OR something along that affect and not log it..because I figure it can't possibly affect my weight. Okay, I know that sounds dumb...lol

But other than that, I am pretty consistent with logging/weighing/and measuring everything...

Consider: collectively, the above list of things could literally add up to several hundred calories, the boldfaced one being a very, very big contributor.

Please read this. If you already have read it, then read it again please, because it's that important.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Now that you've read it, please set your intake to the following:

1700 calories
    140 protein
    60 fat
    150 carbohydrate

Please log and track everything for the next two weeks. No sneaking handfuls of almonds, no eyeballing the dressing, for two weeks. Report back to us with total change in weight after doing this for two weeks.

Reply here if you have any questions before proceeding.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ^add to this. Weigh, not measure, where possible. Use a scale on everything except liquids. Measurement cups can result in quite large estimation errors for dry and semi-liquid foods.
  • Chrissysftns
    Options
    Great advice- now, are we talking 1700 cals Gross or net?? Am I eating back exercise cals?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Great advice- now, are we talking 1700 cals Gross or net?? Am I eating back exercise cals?

Gross - i.e. no eating back of exercise calories.
  • Chrissysftns
    Options
    Also, are these amounts minimums? I've heard it's okay to go over on proteins.. What about fats?
  • Chrissysftns
    Options

Gross - i.e. no eating back of exercise calories.

Gotcha
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Also, are these amounts minimums? I've heard it's okay to go over on proteins.. What about fats?

The calorie target is a maximum.
    The carbohydrate target is a maximum.

You can exceed protein or fat, but if you do so, you must reduce carbohydrate or you will also exceed calories.
This discussion has been closed.