Hi, I'm New

Options
Hi I'm Susie, just started My Fitness Pal today, in hopes that this will help me to lose weight. Have tried many things before, but am not succeeding. I'd welcome any advice or encouragement from others :smile:

Replies

• bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi

Welcome!

Take each day as it comes, we all screw up, so if you have eaten something that you feel you shouldn't have, done't use that as an excuse to through the whole day away, just write it off as a lousy choice and carry on.

If you are completely new to healthy eating don't try to change too much at once, try reducing processed sugar gradually, increasing your water by adding in an extra glass every few days. Move more start by walking.

Good luck and happy to help.

Mandy x
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    This is a great place to be. I find it superior to Weight Watchers and it is free. It is still up to you to stay with your plan, but you will get plenty of support and encouragement here. Welcome
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi Susie and welcome! I agree with Mandy - make changes in your lifestyle gradually and it'll be more likely to stay a habit. I've tried a lot of things over the years, too, so maybe we can encourage each other!
    Ruth
  • ksb1957
    ksb1957 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Susie.........welcome..........You'll find alot of encouragement on this site. I've been on this since the second week of January.........if you follow the plan........post your food........you'll get there! Good luck!
  • susiechange
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I'm going to give it a try, and hope this can help me, I'm not good at staying motivated or having much willpower, but i am going to try again, I'll do my best :wink:
    Susie
  • deedee710
    deedee710 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Welcome Susie,

Making small changes is what I'm trying to do too. You'll find lots of support and encouragement here. i find that as long as I'm tracking I tend to do better. I've been on the site since 2012 but this is the first time I've been involved in the community. I'm loving it!!!

Add me as a friend if you like and we can support each other.

Dee
  • txteadrinker
    txteadrinker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can only add to what's already been said. For me, it helps knowing that every day is a new day. The first few days are always SO hard but after that it gets more routine and I've found that as long as I track, I can have some junk so I don't feel deprived. Welcome to our little community!
  • aproctor1120
    Options
    Hi Susie and welcome! Here is the advice I give and seems to have worked for me. Take the first few weeks and make 1 change per week, adding to the change from the previous week(s). Too much all at once can seem overwhelming. Week 1 - drink 64 oz. of water every day, week 2 - start some sort of exercise (walking is free), week 3 - cut something out (soda and Starbuck's seem to be popular choices), week 4 - add more of something (fruit and veggies), week 5 - never put another coin in a vending machine, etc.

You've made a great start by signing up. Wishing you the best in your journey!
  • padisneyfour
    padisneyfour Posts: 220
    Options
    Hi Susie and welcome! Here is the advice I give and seems to have worked for me. Take the first few weeks and make 1 change per week, adding to the change from the previous week(s). Too much all at once can seem overwhelming. Week 1 - drink 64 oz. of water every day, week 2 - start some sort of exercise (walking is free), week 3 - cut something out (soda and Starbuck's seem to be popular choices), week 4 - add more of something (fruit and veggies), week 5 - never put another coin in a vending machine, etc.

You've made a great start by signing up. Wishing you the best in your journey!

Hi susie and welcome! I agree with alot of what has already been said.... one step at a time!You can do this!!!
  • DRTChic
    DRTChic Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, Susie! Welcome! I like MFP because to me it doesn't feel like a diet! Just eating healthy regular food! Good luck!
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Susie!

Tracking what I ate everyday was a real eye-opener. Not only did I know what was actually going in, I realized I had a big problem with self-honesty. Like a child, I could cover my eyes and believe if I couldn't see it ... well, it didn't exist.

MFP's database made it easy to start and maintain and the nutrition reports help me keep eating healthy, or when I'm not, at least I'm not fooling myself anymore. :tongue:

All the tools you need are here and you can't beat the price. You can do this!
  • sarily44
    sarily44 Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Susie. I'm new too. I've been on MFP for almost two weeks and this is my first post in the group. Looking at all the success of the other ladies in the group is encouraging. I love MFP. Today I had a burger (We're on vacation and everyone wanted to eat at a special trendy burger place.) so I just ordered it plain and with a "lettuce wrap" which I never knew existed! I love staying on plan but still enjoying life w/o guilt.
    I know you'll have lots of success ahead!
  • nitza53
    nitza53 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    welcome, i'm new too since the first of july. I started by giving up soda, limiting bread and eating more vegetables. Today I began exercising at my local pool, mostly doing the same routine as I do in physical therapy. drink lots of water and log everything, you will be able to make better choices if you know what you are putting in your mouth. Be kind to yourself and lean on us to help you through.
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Txteadrinker, thanks for the invite-- happy to join you all. I've dieted my entire adult life and finally hit the jackpot here at MFP. On January 1 I was 188 lbs; today I'm 164.5 on my way to 150, I think. I've been successful by viewing this as a life change vs a diet. I exercise 6 days a week, combining spin and weightlifting.

I look forward to getting to know you all.