Learning to curb binges

Options
ilmb87
ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
We all have our trigger foods, hence why we joined. Mine happens to be salty foods, particularly chips. If I open a bag, I will not stop until I have eaten the whole thing. This is especially frustrating when I'll have done well the rest of the time, but that ONE thing pushes me over for my weekly goals.

Over the course of this journey, I have learned a couple of things that have helped me at least limit the number of trigger binges.

1) Not having the food in the house. Obvious, I know, and sometimes not always practical if you live with someone else who happens to like your trigger food.

2) Eating something else that satisfies your "bad food" cravings, but you aren't likely to binge on. For example, I have a salt tooth, but when it comes to sugar/chocolate I can limit myself easily. So I eat a piece of dark chocolate every day, and I tend not to crave high calorie/low nutrient foods, like chips.

3) Finding a low(er) calorie substitute for your trigger food. This, in addition to number 2, is what I'm doing at the moment. I've been eating individual packs of seaweed (yes, seaweed) every day for a snack. It has the crunchiness and saltiness of the chips, but are only 15-20 calories per pack!

Anyone else have tips/tricks to add that help them from binging?

Replies

• kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    pirate's booty white cheddar puff individual packs are good too for salty portion control, one is only 65 calories. i tend to have intense polar switches between salty/sweet when i binge. so ill eat a few handfuls of cereal then switch to crackers or something savory.
  • EstrellaMarmozet
    Options
    I'm totally into chips too so, to avoid eating all the chips in the house I just put some salt on my finger and eat it. After a bit I feel full and I forget about the chips!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I agree on finding a better substitute. When I binge, it's normally on carbs. I have started making Zucchini pasta to replace regular pasta, Cauliflower to replace rice. There are tons of recipes on replacing cauliflower with a lot. They have cauliflower pizza, tortillas, cheese bread...
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Substitute absolutely. My triggers are crunchy finger foods (crackers, cereal, etc.) and I have had some success subbing in cucumbers and carrots.
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Nothing like Doritos! And the healthy baked ones don't even come close!
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am totally fine not buying all the salty crunchy foods too. I'd rather make my own cookies. But my husband just loves to snack. Darn him.