Intake Help Please

Options
JennyOne2277
JennyOne2277 Posts: 26 Member
First I will say that I have been sooo confused reading everything about upping calories, eating more to lose weight, etc. I would appreciate any real guidance that you could give. Thanks. Def want to make sure I am eating enough, so my body can be fueled....But am also looking to still lose 15-20 lbs.

Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc) :
Height: 5'5
Weight: 146 lbs
BF%: 28 (according to my scale)

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average?
My MFP calories are set to 1580 net (this was based on losing .5/week, light activity, and goal weight if 125) And I am supposed to eat back exercise calories with that.

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!)
Not sure...I have my macros set to 40/30/30, but am usually way too high in the carbs category

Do you use a food scale and measure everything?
Yes....unless I am eating single servings of a snack or something

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)
Yes, when I am being "good" and on track. I know I need to get away from that type of mentality (being good vs. being bad; with food)

Do you take cheat days or days off?
When I have a cheat day or off day, it usually becomes out of control and is usually b/c of a social drinking get together or the day after drinking :( But, I only drink socially....not an every day or even every weekend drinker.

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?
Been losing & gaining (b/c of my fall off the wagon days) the same 3-5 lbs. I weighed around 170 about 16 months and lost 25 lbs using phentermine and eating better (probably b/c of the phentermine) and working out.

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity withing the last couple of months?
I have a desk job for work (40 hrs a week) Feel like I am always running around with errands, straightening up the house, laundry, etc when not at work. Bootcamp class 2-3 times a week (usually burn 450-500 calories according to my HRM) Started adding one day of just weights (usually 20 minutes) When I get back from vacation in 3 weeks, I am going to continue with bootcamp classes 2 days a week and start doing the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women program. I am reading the book now, but believe that will be weight lifting 2-3 days a week. The other 1 or 2 days (not lifting or bootcamp) I will rest

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period.
I answered this above re: during the past 16 months. Previously I was doing what websites told me for calories (WW or other sites....usually around 1250-1300 calories) I just recently started upping them, but have not stuck with a specific # b/c of my confusion. I prefer to eat back workout calories b/c my schedule every week can be up in the air, for working out. Especially once school starts for me (full time student as well as full time desk job) in the Fall.

Are you breastfeeding?
No

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS?
No

I also can tend to be a some-what picky eater. I don't like oats/oatmeal. Cannot stand fish...unless it's shell fish (crab, shrimp, lobster, clams) I have started eating Ekekiel bread in the morning with my eggs and LOVE the raisin kind. I love fruits, but need to get better about vegetables.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you can give :)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I had a quick look at your diary and there looks to be quite a few missing days and days only partially logged. The ones that look like they may be logged properly average out at about 1,750, gross for the last month. If you add in the cheat days that are not logged, you are probably averaging quite a bit more than this.

Also, just to reinforce the importance of using a food scale, could you have a read of this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

You mention that you prefer to eat your exercise calories back. How do you usually calculate the energy expenditure of your exercise?
  • JennyOne2277
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor for my exercise calories. I am not opposed to figuring out a standard amount to eat everyday (based on bootcamp class 2-3 times a week and strength training 2 or 3 times a week, once I start the "New Rules of Weightlifting for Women" program. I just want to make sure the calculations are done properly, so I am not overeating.

I know I have been bad about recording EVERYTHING, when I fall off track. My plan when I get back from vacation (leaving in 2 weeks and will be gone for 1 week) is to get 100% better about logging everything; even if I have a slip up or overeat.

What would your recommendations be for my daily calories, based on the fitness routine I mentioned above? I do work a desk job during the week, but I feel like I am constantly running around on the weekends/evenings (running errands, cleaning up the house, etc) so I wouldn't consider myself super sedentary; just sitting in front of the TV all the time.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate any additional suggestions/help you can give me :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The issue here is that we do not have any accurate data specific to you to base our advice off due to the lack of accurate logging.

I would suggest that you have your vacation and while not going crazy, not worry too much about calories so as to not put a dampener on your holiday. When you get back, start anew and be really accurate with weighing and logging.

I would set you calories at 1,700 (gross - no eating back of exercise calories) with the following macros:

110g protein
    55g fats

as minimums with the balance falling wherever based on preference, energy and adherence.

Please try to stick to this as accurately as possible when you get back from vacation and get back to us after 2 weeks, or earlier if you have questions or concerns.
  • JennyOne2277
    Options
    Sounds like I plan. I'll be back from vacation and ready to get my *kitten* in gear on August 12th. I will do what you said and make sure I track accurately 100% for 2 weeks, so you can see my progress, etc. Thanks for your help.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You are welcome

Locking so we can keep better track of active threads. Please PM either myself or SideSteel when you are ready to give us an update or if you have further questions or comments, including a link to this thread, and we will unlock.
This discussion has been closed.