Finish this sentence: "When I was young ... "

Options
OhLeita
OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
When I was young there was not a lot of emphasis put on food. Mom was a great cook but every meal was not Sunday dinner or Thanksgiving feasts. Sometimes there was a night time snack, usually popcorn, most times not.

Now it's impossible to turn on the t.v. or go online and not be bombarded with food. Seems there's no such thing as a treat anymore and every meal is Sunday Dinner.

And they thought 'sex, drugs and rock-n-roll,' was bad. :wink:

Your turn - finish the sentence!

Replies

• Caribou2u
    Caribou2u Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I was so busy being outside with my horse & dog... I ate a LOT but never gained weight. My family gave us lots of not-so-great stuff (although dinner was always balanced/healthy) - bread, mayo, bologna, peanut butter, cereal, ice cream, cookies...
    When I was young, my body and joints didn't hurt all the time. Now it seems like something hurts every day.
    When I was young, I had more energy...

Now I will myself to move even when I don't want to or when it hurts.... Just have to keep going so I can do the fun stuff as well as get through the not-so-fun-stuff. There is still some fun stuff left to do !!
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I was so busy being outside with my horse & dog... I ate a LOT but never gained weight. My family gave us lots of not-so-great stuff (although dinner was always balanced/healthy) - bread, mayo, bologna, peanut butter, cereal, ice cream, cookies...
    When I was young, my body and joints didn't hurt all the time. Now it seems like something hurts every day.
    When I was young, I had more energy...

Now I will myself to move even when I don't want to or when it hurts.... Just have to keep going so I can do the fun stuff as well as get through the not-so-fun-stuff. There is still some fun stuff left to do !!

I can't count the number of baloney on white bread w/ mayo sandwiches I ate as a kid. :laugh:
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    When I was young I had a six pack of abs that made other women envious-
    An *kitten* that won the Best Jeans Contest, and that turned alot of heads,
    and a smile that was motivated by a body in shape!
    Now at 52 I'm trying to get as close to that as I can!
  • grannysmith54
    grannysmith54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I didn't watch my weight, I was a little plump. when I reached my late teens, i started watching my calorie intake and all through my life I have limited myself, as to what I eat, when I don't, I gain weight, now that I am 59, it seems like I have very little will power to stop eating, my weakness is Nuts. If I don't get my serving of nuts everyday, I have withdrawles, lol. Weight sure is harder to lose the older you get. I decided I need to lose some pounds, getting close to my limit for my height. didn't want to pay for the W.W. plan again, been there, done that. I am really going to try this time. :smile:
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    When I was young (20's) I moved to Hollywood, CA and although I was thin, I was not as thin as the wanna be actresses, models and singers. I started dieting and I dieted myself fat for 30 years. 5 pounds off 7 pound on...7 off 10 on and on and on until I hit 225. I stopped dieting and was able to keep myself at that same weight until menopause rear up and transformed my body into something I hardly recognize. I don't care about the number, now I just want to be healthy and keep my strength which has been dwindling the past few years. .
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    Weight sure is harder to lose the older you get.

It amazes me how slowly the weight comes off now.
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I was young I was tiny, all skin and bone and ate anything I wanted, put a around 20lbs or so when i got married and was then a healthy weight, first child was a breeze weight wise, second child was another story. I put on loads of weight and never quiet got rid of all and that was the start of the rot. Even then I wasn't overweight but it continued to creep up through my 30's until my early 40's when I decided enough was enough. Lost the majority of it and have been messing about with the same 10-12lbs ever since, I am just 50 now! My complacency has got me to where I am now.

Ok my weight is well within the healthy range, but my body fat % is still around 25/26% I decided that I needed to stop fixating on the number and the scale and focus on how my clothes fit and how I felt. I am trying to do this but it so hard not to jump on the scales every morning just to see! I am currently on holiday in Florida from the UK and so have no scale, maybe it will break the habit.

When I was young I hated to exercise but love it now, started with zumba, which is not exercise, its just fun. Last year my daughter got me started on Body Pump, I thought I was going to die after the first class and couldn't move for two days but love it now, its completely addictive, much more fun than lifting weights in the gym.

We are all worth so much more than we think, life gets crazy but really try and find sometime for yourself too :)
  • txteadrinker
    txteadrinker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I was young, we had to clean our plates, but we stayed outside all day playing so we burned it all off. But the "clean your plate" tape still goes on and on in my head. Finally I'm learning to stop!
  • aproctor1120
    Options
    When I was young, I was a corn-fed midwestern country girl. My aunt, a farmer's wife, taught me to cook. Most lessons started with, "you get a good wallop of lard and put it in a cast iron skillet". Every meal was meat, potatoes, vegetable and bread. Desserts were saved for Sunday dinner. We ate everything on our plates because "children were starving in Africa". Not sure how eating all my food helped them but we didn't ask because corporal punishment was alive and well in my home. I lost my dad to a truck driving accident at the age of 9 1/2. My mom was no longer a stay at home and went to work. We were the first latch-key kids in our town. I turned to food for comfort, although I didn't understand that then. This, along with genetics, made the fattest girl in my class. My nickname was 'big Anne'. There were two other Anne's in my class and there had to be a way to identify us, right? Regardless, I was active - was on the swim team, played softball, rode my bike all over town and back. That same aunt that taught me to cook also taught me that there wasn't nothing nobody could tell me I couldn't do. I was in good shape even though that shape was large. I was popular throughout school and credit a great group of friends for accepting me for who I was not what I looked like. Except for that stupid boy that gave me the nickname.
  • aproctor1120
    Options
    "I started dieting and I dieted myself fat for 30 years." MsCarlalala you have summed up in one sentence what I have tried to find a way to explain for a very long time. I am going to print this out and hang it up at work, at home and my car. THANK YOU!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    when I was young I looked HOT no matter what I ate or drank.
    can't do that no more.
    ha ha ha ha
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    When I was young I thought I was fat and ugly. When I look back at those photos I was pretty darn cute. Thank goodness I have a better view of myself now.
  • Wjmu7
    Wjmu7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I was young I had an average size body, but my Mama made me wear supersize clothes. My mom was seriously overweight, and I assumed I was too. Then, I gained 35 pounds with baby #1, 7 pounds with baby #2, 16# baby #3, and I wasn't even counting with #4. I lost some of it each time, but I am a grandma now and I have seen how my mother's overweightness (is that a word) and then mine has now affected my daughter. She is struggling terribly with it. I want to be a good example and support my daughter as she supports me. Together, we can be good examples to my granddaughter.
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I could play all day outside running, biking, and swimming, no matter the heat and humidity, with no effects. At 51, walking to the car in this weather merits a shower and lay-on-couch break.
  • Montrose11
    Montrose11 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I thought I was fat -- at 130 pounds. Because I am tall, I thought I weighed too much compared to those smaller girls who might weigh, say, 105 pounds. When I got up to 134 pounds, my coworker and I went on a diet and I lost those four pounds and lost another five while in France for a month. That was it. I was off and running. I promptly got up to 144 (still not fat!) but have yo-yo'ed ever since. Like someone said, "I dieted myself fat." Bingo!

A good expression I heard recently, "I wish I weighed as much as I did when I thought I was fat." That was almost 100 pounds ago.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    mine is the same as everyones, when i was young i ate what i wanted but never realized how small the portions were.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    When I was young life was great! Still is today ;)
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I was young I had an average size body, but my Mama made me wear supersize clothes. My mom was seriously overweight, and I assumed I was too.

When I was young, I had an average size body, but my Mama always told me I was fat. My mom was seriously underweight, but she was proud of it... (She still is... and I feel compassionate nowadays, not angry anymore.)

And indeed, I was 'skinny fat', and I had heavy thights and a wide 'behind', but I did have (and still have) a slender waist...

I was often frustrated when I went out shopping, because I never found fitting clothes - but I always blamed it on my being fat. (It was more the disproportion between my Size M hips and size XS waist).

I gained weight since then (As a 16-17 y.o. I was about 45-47 kg), and have been yo-yoing between 52 and 56 for years.
    It is about 2 years ago that my weight went over 56, and then I started moving more consistently.
    Since then I have gradually dropped weight, and I'm again at my weight that I had when I was 16-17... And I guess even my fitness is at least the same, or maybe a bit better...
    I'd like to maintain that weight now... and I know it may seem strange, but that seems easier post-menopausal.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I was young
    I never needed anyone
    And making love was just for fun
    Those days are gone
    Livin' alone
    I think of all the friends I've known
    When I dial the telephone
    Nobody's home

All by myself