Hello

Options
KimberlyC10
KimberlyC10 Posts: 1 Member
I've been on and off of fitness pal for about a year. I work those crazy 12 hours shifts 7p-7a. Does anyone else find it hard to eat 3 meals plus snacks like we are supposed to. My doc wants me to lose 20 pounds. I have tried everything from leaving my debit card and extra cash at home, so I won't be tempted to eat fast food or hit the vending machine. Also, I try to workout before bed in the morning only to find myself unable to sleep. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am at my witts end and need this weight gone.

Thanks, Kim

Replies

• locoducky
    locoducky Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't know your set up at work, but if I don't leave cash at home, I fall to the calling of the vending machines (they are like 10 ft. behind me and still have 50 cent cans of pop). I also bring my own meal and snacks. I work 6p to 6a so I generally eat before I go at around 3 or 4, have dinner around 8 or 9 (depending on how the night is going...lol) and then a snack around midnight. For some reason I am not hungry again until 5am, which I really should bring a snack for. I also eat when I get home (this is more because of stomach issues that seem to be worse when I don't eat for long periods of time). I think this helps me (although I work critical access so our fast food means going out into a small town really quick). I like to bring cheerios or a breakfast cereal for my snack, it allows me to munch on something that isn't too bad. I also try and think exercise whenever possible. Since I do work critical access, I sometimes have a little more time to do things like only take one water jug at a time while getting patients water. Or the fact that our ER is at the other end of the hospital, I will be horribly inefficient and take things back one at a time. Taking the stairs instead of elevators, walking to talk to a nurse instead of calling, ect. I try to let the little things add up and to think "how can I get some exercise out of this?". I also have been going to the couch 2 5k program so that has been helping (even if it is just helping me not suffer so badly from my eating...lol). My sister always said "food is for fuel, not fun", I try and eat when I am hungry, and to not eat just because I am bored or stressed. And if I am going to eat, I try and think about what I eat (no, this doesn't always work, I have my go-to stuff that I know and love). Mmmm...almonds. That's a great snack. Either way, I hope this helps, and welcome! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • ElaineRN100
    ElaineRN100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As a 7p - 7a shift Hosp/ER Nurse I definitely understand the issues of trying to eat healthy while at work. I work at a small rural Hospital and cover the acute floor and the ER. I've been a member of MFP since March and have lost 21 lbs. The vending machine has never been a problem for me - ours has nothing but junk in it. Maybe yours is better stocked, as well as, ours is located in another building. When I work, I don't worry about getting in 3 squares or 2 snacks or a combination there of. I just eat a good meal before heading to work. That way I am full and satisfied for at least the first half of my shift. I take more snacks that I can eat in one evening just so I have a variety. So some 24 hours I've had one meal and 4 or 5 snacks. My snacks are almonds, fruit, popcorn, sandwich or if evening is on the slow side, a Lean Cuisine meal.

I get in extra exercise by just walking - sometimes just around and around our nurses station. Or from our ER wing and back to our Acute floor. I wake up in time to exercise at least 30 min's before going to work - every day. But then I don't have small children at home anymore, so my time is for me. SO understands and is supportive.

So I do what I can when at work and then hit it hard when I'm off - trying to eat more regular meals and get more exercise in. Start out slow. It's trial and error. I've found that MFP is a great start - tracking your food and getting support from buddies. Good luck.
  • trulara
    trulara Posts: 5
    Options
    hey all,

I am a night shift nurse as well. I used to work ER but am working as a CVICU nurse now. I'm trying to lose 30 pounds and I know for a fact night shift isn't helping. I usually get salads at work and some protein and have been working out on all days off for about a year. I have gained some muscle lifting wts and a have lost about 10 pounds since I started. The way I work out, the wt should be falling off! I don't get it. Oh well, my goal is, even if I don't lose another pound I want to avoid being a heart patient. So I'm going to continue to work out and take my vitamins and supplements and try to be the healthiest I can be.. I would like 30 more pounds to melt off though!! Not sure if its the night shift thing or just being 37 and my body slowing down.. I hope I figure this all out soon. talk to ya later..

Trudi
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shift RT, I've been on nights for 11 years. I I have lost 65 lbs over the last 2 years,It has been in 2 phases. 1st phase I used WW and lost 35 then plateau'd and gained back 5-10(depending on the day) Switched over here and with lots of cardio lost what I had gained back plus 25-30 more for a total loss of 65 at my low weight. Now I'm at the top of a plateau c/gain cycle and am sitting at anet loss of 50lbs, still good. I'm changing things up again based on the advice of some FB fitness groups and friends..It actually encourages eating more food, based on BMR and TEE calculations. So my problem now is when it gets craycray busy I'm not eating enough. I work in a 657 bed facility in a medium size City that has 4 large hospitals in a 5 mile radius, so we are frequently slamming. I usually cover the ER, one of the 3 ICU's(med/surg, Cardiac, or Neuro) or our CVOR/ICU. So I get 10,000 steps easily in a 12 hour shift. I have a FItbit. I take stairs whenever possible, and it is faster than the elevator when I cover these areas. I'm usually dealing with adrenaline rushes( seems like there is always a code or intubation right at 6 am these days) after work so frequently go run a couple of miles after work, just so I sleep better. LOL, a year ago I would have laughed at the thought that I might be running.
  • ElaineRN100
    ElaineRN100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    @ trulara - I've been a member since March 2013 and have learned MFP has lots of great people to help you figure out the maze of eating right and exercising. It's been slow for me but then I'm on the other side of menopause along with the Night Shifts. Good luck with getting that last 30 lbs off and good for you for sticking with it.

@ Julicat6 - way to hang in there. Sounds like you have figured out the ways to beat the Night Shift weight gain malady. I love working nights. Glad to see there are Nurses willing to fight the bulge and be positive roll models for their family and patients.