New To MFP and trying to gain weight in recovery?

Options
Hey Everyone, I've had Anorexia Binge-Purge for about 3 years now and am having trouble getting my weight up in recovery - most discouraging thing I think. To know that everyone walks around and says "Damn I can't lose weight.." and then there's me thinking "Well, I can't gain weight to save my life!" quite literally is the worst feeling ever. If anyone can be a support buddy please add/message me! :) Would love recovery buddies - I'm a pretty positive person! :)

Stay Strong everyone xx <3

Replies

• asummers023
    Options
    HI. Small banquet pot pies in chicken, turkey and beef range 490 to 510 calories. Small individual deep dish Tombstone pizzas.can be found at Target and are 400 calories. 'Kid sized lunchables like ham and american cheese and the 3 small pizzas are 270 to 300 calories.
  • CAS185
    CAS185 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hey, I'm trying to recover from EDNOS before going to college. I'm 5' 3.5'' 100 lbs. I'm trying to gain at least 6 before college, preferably 9 lbs. But gaining weight terrifies me :/ Maybe we could support each other.
  • radashley
    radashley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm still trying to figure out different foods for weight gain as well. I started buying frozen dinners the last two months of school (I'm a college student), but I do know they're usually high in sodium, so they'd have to be leveled out with a nice amount of water. It's easier to work on gaining weight when you have other friends who are trying to do the same thing. I'm open to anyone becoming buddies as well :]
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am in the same boat. I know I CAN gain weight...I just don't really allow it to happen. I'm stupidly underweight, and it just keeps dropping. If anyone would like to be gaining motivational buddies, add me! I could really use someone to yell at me when I'm under my calorie goal, haha.
  • Leijing
    Leijing Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can understand the frustration of not being able to gain weight. Though I've never had an eating disorder (unless you count "too busy/stressed to eat), I have been accused of being anorexic by people who should have known me better. It gets disheartening when everyone tells you that you need to "put meat on your bones" or that it must be nice to be so skinny. If you find some small portion foods that are calorie/nutrient dense, let me know!
  • jnimeskern
    jnimeskern Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hate all those expressions "You need to put some meat on those bones!", "It'd be so nice to be that skinny!", "Must be nice to eat what you want" and yet they don't realize that even if i eat 3,500 calories in a day, gaining weight is very hard for me. It sucks to be at an abnormal weight. I'd like to say to those people: "Must be nice eat 1 slice of cake and gain weight" "You need to put some bones on all that meat" but I don't because then I'd be no better than them.

I hear people complain all the time that if they eat just one more piece of cake they could gain weight. Heck if I ate ten peices of cake everyday I probably wouldn't gain weight. It's frustrating. It really is. But I'm slowly beginning to accept that I just have to work harder at it. This isn't just about gaining weight anymore, it's about proving everyone wrong for the right reasons. I'm not skinny because I under-eat. I overeat, a real glutton. I do it healthy, but an overeater to the standard. I'm constantly full, constantly not hungry, but constantly eating. It's a chore, and the results are coming, but very slowly. Patience is always something I;ve never been skilled at. I'm 3 weeks into my diet and have gained 4.5 pounds so far. It's a good feeling but I dont feel much bigger than I was.

I don't have a condition, that I know of, and I know I'm a guy so my situation is different than yours, but just know theres other people out there trying to gain weight too. We're going opposite direction than the rest of the country who can seemlingly eat an extra doughnut and appear to gain weight.

I just want to be a normal weight, and stay there for once in my life. Whose with me?
  • dmexo
    dmexo Posts: 4
    Options
    I totally agree with you! I have all those negative expressions. I don't go around telling ppl "hey you need to loose that nasty double chin!" It is really frustrating, not knowing I don't feel comfortable at this weight either.
  • fitnessfromfreedom
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted and the few who friended me through this thread, you have NO idea how much it helps to hear your stories. I know not all of you struggle with and eating disorder, but any stories help really. I hope you are all still doing good with your gaining and I know exactly what you mean by the comments of "put some meat on your bones" when you just can't make it work that way. I have cried over that one because I've been so frustrated that it is so hard for me - so thanks for your support! Open to any more friend requests and any more talk. Sorry I didn't reply sooner (can't really on my phone). Should be able to answer anything now with my computer! :)
  • kerve13
    kerve13 Posts: 13
    Options
    My situation is different, as I'm a novice weight lifter that's trying to gain muscle (currently "bulking") that has always been medium-heavy build, but I do understand one aspect that may relate others that are in the underweight category.
    I grew up when "fat-free" was the craze. After universally hearing that fat was bad everyday, from every commercial and every person, there's still a reluctance to eat certain things. For a long time I wouldn't use butter on toast or to fry eggs. I now know from reading widely (even clinical studies) that fat is essential, and as a guy restricting fat can lower testosterone (which is very bad for many reasons), but even now there's still a hesitation to eat certain things, or more than I'm used to. It's an emotional reaction to food, to eating.
    While I'm in a different boat, I can at least see that part of it. So, good luck all, don't forget these are long-term goals so keep at it. I'd be glad to discuss strategies/foods with anyone. Protein shakes are my friend.
  • jnimeskern
    jnimeskern Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have a question for you, or anyone that sees this (not a very active forum!)

Currently day 36 of my 3,500 calories. (My body type should maintain @ 2,500, so I'm eating 1,000 calories extra per day. I've been getting the gains in of 2 pounds, 3 pound, even 4 pounds per week. Everything is great there, and I'm adding in healthier foods that I can find. The habit is there, and my motivation is strong. Going good.

What I'm wondering is how this will effect me if I'm not going to the gym? I'm underweight and I am still 143 pounds. The 13 pounds of fat, and more that I will gain, will it all just go to my stomach or will it "fill me out".

Now trust me I will hit the gym, but I NEED the fat. My BMI is still way too low.

Also, once I hit the gym, I imagine I'll lose weight. Is the muscle heavier than fat or vice versa?
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    Okay, I have a question for you, or anyone that sees this (not a very active forum!)

Currently day 36 of my 3,500 calories. (My body type should maintain @ 2,500, so I'm eating 1,000 calories extra per day. I've been getting the gains in of 2 pounds, 3 pound, even 4 pounds per week. Everything is great there, and I'm adding in healthier foods that I can find. The habit is there, and my motivation is strong. Going good.

What I'm wondering is how this will effect me if I'm not going to the gym? I'm underweight and I am still 143 pounds. The 13 pounds of fat, and more that I will gain, will it all just go to my stomach or will it "fill me out".

Now trust me I will hit the gym, but I NEED the fat. My BMI is still way too low.

Also, once I hit the gym, I imagine I'll lose weight. Is the muscle heavier than fat or vice versa?

I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about this but from what I've read and heard from others, the weight you gain may initially go to the abdominal area b/c you are underweight and the wt. is going there to protect the most "vital organs" first. However, the weight will eventually re-distribute throughout your body in time. Also, once you start exercising you will gain muscle which does weigh more than fat.

Congrats on your achievements so far!
  • kerve13
    kerve13 Posts: 13
    Options
    Muscle is much heavier than fat. I recommend ignoring BMI as it's misleading. Your body fat % is what you want to pay attention to, or a combination of total weight in conjunction with measurements (waist, thighs, biceps, etc). Many athletes are "overweight" on BMI because muscle is heavy, but BMI essentially assumes all weight is fat. Thus it is pointless.

As to where the fat will go...that's genetic. You can't control how much goes where. It will be spread out everywhere, but how much goes to your gut compared to another guy will vary based upon genes (and stress, actually).

If you're lifting now but quit/travel/get injured later, you may want to adjust your diet accordingly. I won't advise how to do that, I'm not familiar enough. If you're lifting and want a community that's focused on fitness, and want to talk to knowledgeable people about exercise and nutrition, I'd recommend joining Fitocracy: http://ftcy.me/scTABZ
    It's free, you can log and track workouts, etc. I like it.
  • alinanra
    alinanra Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have problems in protein absortion, so I cant do much exercises.
    Actually I have some intestinal problems, so I am struggling to get weight.