Race 2 tomorrow

Options
skiporchid
skiporchid Posts: 20 Member
Ok so I ran my first 5k in mid June and I ran most of it but according to my app it was actually 5.50km. I was still progressing through early week 7 of the c25k program and was not ready for this 5.5 surprise. I was still pretty excited to finish, so I signed up for another one which is scheduled for tomorrow. Well since the first 5k, summer happened. Apparently that's normal for July. And as much as I've slowed down, ran shorter distance, stayed in the shade, waited for sunset, got up early I feel like I'm waaay back in time. I know I posted about this before.

What I've been in denial about though, is the forecast for tomorrow. I'm in southern Ontario and we've been issued an Extreme Heat Alert this whole week. Weather, with humidity has been feeling like up to 44C or 111F. The race isn't until 7:20pm and they say there's a 40% chance of rain tomorrow, but they said the same for today and there hasn't been a drop.

The race organizers have sent out a few emails saying that if anyone who signed up for the 10K tomorrow prefers to do 5K because of the heat, they can change. But what about those of us already signed up for 5K and can barely make that in 22C weather? I'm really trying not to think about beating my June time, I mean I haven't been able to run that distance at any time since. BUT this is a faster race than the first one a signed up for, last years times were quicker...yes the weather was soo much better last year and yes everyone will slow down tomorrow..

Ok, the real dilemma, I've spent money on the race and I don't know if I'll be able to finish it. Should I skip? I hate the idea of skipping. Should I just do my best and run/walk at like week 3/4 interval. Or stay in bedroom with blinds drawn and fan on?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Walk it with a Gatorade bottle in each hand, if you have to! You'll meet the best people on the crappiest days.
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Like vardaeml has already written, if need be just walk but I bet you'll end up running most of it. When you finish, you will feel so happy you did it rather than sitting at home thinking "I should have gone". I'm in a similar situation to you although I'm planning on running my first 10K next Thursday (did my 1st 5K back in May). I was hesitant to sign for the run because it's turned quite hot here in Munich and I really don't like running in the heat. I just bit the bullet and signed and now I'm doing it. I'll just take my time and walk where/if I have to with the sole aim to finish. I'm not concerned over the time.

I'd encourage you to go for it. Take plenty of fluid before and during and I'm confident you'll have a great time :smile:
  • skiporchid
    skiporchid Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation! I did go and unfortunately it didn't rain. It was hot. hot hot hot. But there are people who lived along the route who offered to water the street as we passed and they gave out water filed sponges at the water table. I feel like I walked A LOT! But my time wasn't as far off my first 5k time so I must have walked pretty fast or run more than I thought. And I got a post rave massage which made it worth it regardless of the fact that I felt like fried eggs out there
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Walk it with a Gatorade bottle in each hand, if you have to! You'll meet the best people on the crappiest days.

^^^^^ This is what I would do myself. If you plan on walking it, and then you get a burst of energy in the heat and feel like running some then go for it. But at least walking it you wont feel like you lost out!!