FRIENDLY--What is clean eating for you?

Options
lpina2mi
lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
Back in the 1970's this food movement was derisively referred to as granola, as many of us shopped in bulk at Food Co-operatives and made our own granola and yogurt. Getting yogurt culture was akin to sharing bread starter in our Great-Grandmother's days.

Too soon this cozy feel good thing became a movement and by the 1980s it was competitive; who could be most whole food do it yourself. One afternoon during a round-robin discussion at the farm during CSA pickup (the 1st in MI and one the handful in the nation) Annie Elder was sincerely asked about a dilemma of ever using some sort of prepared food (such as canned tomatoes that were organic and canned locally by Eden Foods). Annie went farther and said something like a box of mac-n-cheese lovingly prepared and pleasantly served would be far more nutritional than growing the wheat and grinding the grain (yes many had sturdy hand-cranked grinders instead of electric kitchen aid mixers) served by an overwrought parent. And Annie meant this sincerely and held such a meal in as high regard as she had for the manure her cows provided--if you are familiar with biodynamic farming, you will know how high the regard was.

I incorporated Annie's sensibility into my own and the contents of my pantry and fridge demonstrate this. And when I eat out, restaurants or homes of friends, I care about just enjoying a shared meal and conversation; I do not trouble about whether the food was organic or from where it came. Food has much in common with Art and I enjoy the idiosyncratic nature of choices and preferences.

I do have a picture in my mind of my ideal: meals prepared from whole organic foods that are mostly locally sourced, including my own garden. My food pyramid would have leafy greens, vegetables, legumes, and water on the bottom, the next layer up would be nuts, seeds, oils, fish, eggs, herbs&spices, whole grains. The next layer up would be dairy, meat & poultry stocks & bones, ground venison, some lamb, fungi, fruit, tubers. My top layer would be tea and coffee, bread, chocolate, wine, fruit pies, biscotti (in the italian sense), european pastries.

Alas, I am not my ideal. Moreover, I am currently supplementing which I regard as outside my whole food organic ideal. Thankfully, I do not fret about it. I hit it more often than not.

There are things that I find scary: compromised water supply and corporate agri-business.

Organic Consumers Association, July 18, 2013 .
[excerpt]
As the June 24, 2013 issue of Green Medical News puts it:
“ . . . within the scientific community and educated public alike, there is a growing awareness that Roundup herbicide , and its primary ingredient glyphosate, is actually a broad spectrum biocide , in the etymological sense of the word: "bio" (life) and "cide" (kill) – that is, it broadly, without discrimination kills living things, not just plants. Moreover, it does not rapidly biodegrade as widely claimed, and exceedingly small amounts of this chemical – in concentration ranges found in recently sampled rain, air, groundwater, and human urine samples – have DNA-damaging and cancer cell proliferation stimulating effects.”

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    IMHO, it should be CLEAN-ER eating. Would avoid much confusion
  • lpina2mi
    Options

makes sense to me
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I almost didn't join this group because I am not an absolute Clean Eater, but I shop for all my veggies and fruits at our local co-op or Farmer's Market, make our meals from dried beans, local seafood and grass fed meats when possible, use excellent sources of dairy and local eggs, and have learned to love whole grains. I enjoy reading Clean Eating magazine and actively make recipes from the cookbooks and magazines and try to put some of them into regular rotation. I'm a total foodie so I am very demanding about food being delicious. I'm not a poultry eater, don't care to use egg whites rather than the whole perfect eggs, and have a dislike of skim milks, low fat yogurts, and reduced fat cheeses. I am happy that there is no boxed this or boxed that insta meal stuff in my home, but I have emergency Amy's frozen bean and cheese burritos in my fridge at all times for when I'm too busy or grouchy to cook. This convenience food isn't great, but two years ago it would have been a million times worse!
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Brilliant.
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    I almost didn't join this group because I am not an absolute Clean Eater, but I shop for all my veggies and fruits at our local co-op or Farmer's Market, make our meals from dried beans, local seafood and grass fed meats when possible, use excellent sources of dairy and local eggs, and have learned to love whole grains. I enjoy reading Clean Eating magazine and actively make recipes from the cookbooks and magazines and try to put some of them into regular rotation. I'm a total foodie so I am very demanding about food being delicious. I'm not a poultry eater, don't care to use egg whites rather than the whole perfect eggs, and have a dislike of skim milks, low fat yogurts, and reduced fat cheeses. I am happy that there is no boxed this or boxed that insta meal stuff in my home, but I have emergency Amy's frozen bean and cheese burritos in my fridge at all times for when I'm too busy or grouchy to cook. This convenience food isn't great, but two years ago it would have been a million times worse!

Thank you for the breath of fresh air.

I guess I am a clean-er too. We get our whole unhomogenized (cream-on-top) milk delivered in glass bottles on Thursdays from a dairy that grows its own hay for its cows. But it has been decades since I made my own yogurt, plain no-fat, which is a compromise of all family members who eat yogurt.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    For me, it's mostly about not buying stuff that is in boxes that goes directly in the microwave or comes with some sort of flavor powder packet that I mix in.

I am relearning to cook. I am buying real food (though due to budget constraints, not always of the quality that you are speaking of - if organic is close in price, I buy it - it it's double I don't), shopping in different stores that cater to a more whole food approach (where the organic stuff tends to be less expensive), and cooking for my family again.

I am doing Paleo fairly strictly (I'd say 90/10 - still put half and half in my coffee, and still have one day a week for a "cheat food" or two." I am NOT doing Paleo with all of the substitute baked goods, etc, or using recipes that call for a lot of honey. It might be healthier than the store bought alternatives, but it's still not what I want for me. If I could do it ONCE in a while, I would. But I would do it all the time, and it sort of defeats the purpose :)

So basicially we are transistioning from a convenience food/take out meal family to one who is eating home cooked meals made with healthy ingredients (AND LOVE). The kids are starting to make healthier snack decisions. I haven't bought a package of cookies in two weeks, and they haven't asked. They'd just as soon eat trail mix or a Kashi bar, or a boiled egg, or yogurt, or fruit. I let them have grains and sugar because they don't have issues with grain and sugar, but they eat the same Paleo dinner I do with an added side of grain (which is now being prepared plain, by me, and not coming from a box full of MSG).

Healthwise, being super strict is making me feel MUCH better. They are 100% on board with that, and have even started joining me on some of my walks. My oldest is a great coach.

I've been asked to guest blog at a new website to introduce this smaller step, gentler approach to "cleaner" eating and living. Let you know when I start :)
  • melwharris91
    melwharris91 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me is about having food that is both nutritrious and delicicious. I try to buy organic and local when I can especially chicken, eggs, and the dirty dozen veggies. I noticed that organic products taste better.

Clean eating also is eating in moderation and enjoying the things you eat. I normally will start the day with berries and yogurt. Throughout the day I will snack on veggies or fruit with cheese. For protein I normally eat poultry or fish. Oh and I also have a little wine to finish off the day.
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    Clean eating to me is about having food that is both nutritrious and delicicious. I try to buy organic and local when I can especially chicken, eggs, and the dirty dozen veggies. I noticed that organic products taste better.

Clean eating also is eating in moderation and enjoying the things you eat. I normally will start the day with berries and yogurt. Throughout the day I will snack on veggies or fruit with cheese. For protein I normally eat poultry or fish. Oh and I also have a little wine to finish off the day.

Sounds perfectly delicious
  • lpina2mi
    Options

I've been asked to guest blog at a new website to introduce this smaller step, gentler approach to "cleaner" eating and living. Let you know when I start :)

Yeah!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    80% whole/minimally processed foods, with plenty of fruits and veggies. I incorporate things like ice cream into my diet because life is too short to avoid foods that I love.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    To me, clean eating is cooking / eating whole, unprocessed foods. No preservatives, additives, or chemical-sounding ingredients. Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts... I pretty much keep to that, but every once in a while, I like to have whole wheat bread and my bread machine broke, so I try to find bread made at the store with as few ingredients as possible.

edit: how in the world could I forget to list beans and legumes? My primary source of lunches and dinners :bigsmile:
  • wideeyedla
    Options
    80% whole/minimally processed foods, with plenty of fruits and veggies. I incorporate things like ice cream into my diet because life is too short to avoid foods that I love.

Exactly. But I get my ice cream at Cold Stone, at least. It has spoiled me for everything else.
  • lpina2mi
    Options
    Thank You all for an open and respectful conversation. I learned that I am not alone. Thank you.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    For me it's trying to eat mostly nutrionally dense foods not calorie dense.

I try very hard not to eat anything that is void of nutrition. So no refined sugars and I try to stay away from most processed foods although there are some that I get because I don't have a clue nor desire to make my own and because I consume so little of it that in the long run it doesn't have much effect on me - these would be things like ketchup, mayo, tuna, etc.

The things I do buy that are processed I read the label, if its full of words I don't know, I put it back down. I also look to be sure sugar or high fructose corn syrup aren't in one of the top three places in the ingredient list.
  • IndieGordon
    Options
    Just wanted to ask a quick question to all you amazing people, not sure if its been answered already if so, please forgive me. So I started eating a lot healthier earlier this year just trying to improve my health and just feel good so now i would really like to start eating Cleaner. How would any of you guys recommend starting. Thanks for your help.
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I started by looking at Clean Eating magazine and tried a few of the recipes. They have some online you could try. I don't eat to their standards as they do a lot of egg white things, etc, but I'm an anomaly. I love that they have a 'freeze ahead' section quite often. Every dish I've made in this has been delicious.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Just wanted to ask a quick question to all you amazing people, not sure if its been answered already if so, please forgive me. So I started eating a lot healthier earlier this year just trying to improve my health and just feel good so now i would really like to start eating Cleaner. How would any of you guys recommend starting. Thanks for your help.

I started by weaning myself off sugar - over the course of three weeks I went from having sugary foods and drinks all day long to just having sugar in my coffee and on my strawberries in the morning.

Then I decided I was ready to give it up - I had a dull headache the first few days but it wasn't too bad. It could have been the coffee withdrawl as well since I gave up coffee along with the sugar since I can't drink it black.

Once I gave up sugar I gradually started cutting back on processed foods and started cooking from scratch a lot more. My taste buds woke up and now I really enjoy the taste of the healthy foods and really don't care for most processed foods. Some things I learned the hard way that I can't eat anymore or don't like anymore, like going to Fridays on a date and ordering one of the pastas with a cream sauce and having to end the date early because my stomach was in revolt. Had to leave the poor guy at the restaurant I was feeling so sick.
  • wideeyedla
    Options

Depends on how whole hog you wan pt to go, and what it means to you. My GP's basic diet advice is "nothing white." But if you are vegetarian, you need to eat grains.

Each week, make one good sized change. If you are a soda drinker, for example, substitute water for soda until at the end of the week, it is all water. If you aren't a big fruit and vegetable eater, try incorporating a new fruit or vegetable each day until you find a variety of them you like. Then start replacing some of the more processed foods you are eating with them. Replace refined grains with whole grains, or work on reducing them altogether. Go grocery shopping and don't buy anything with more than five ingredients.

You don't HAVE to do all of these things at once. Just do one or two a week. All of us actively posting here have very different daily eating habits. All of us are doing it right for ourselves. Look at our diaries (just don't pay attention to my Saturday diaries, as I am doing strict Paleo 90/10 and Saturday is my off day). Think about your lifestyle, how much time you have, how often you need to eat out, etc. Then start. One step at a time..
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    For me it's about eating real food ie: nothing that comes in a box with weird ingredients I cannot pronounce that are many many words long. It's thinking back to when my grandmother grew up on a farm and what she ate. She lived to 91 with no major health problems. My other grandmother eats "old school" and is 93. So I shop the perimeter of the super market, buy local when possible (in the summer it's very easy with the farmers market, but we also have a year round state farmer's market), buy organic when I can, avoid GMOs as best as I can too.

Occasionally I indulge, but my next meal is always something that is nutritious.

I've been eating this way a long time. Way back a long time ago I did weight watchers. I did cook mostly everything, but slowly fell into more convenience items if it fit into my points. From there I migrated to avoiding chemicals as much as possible and really reading labels. I was never a soda drinker so that wasn't a problem. The decreasing the foods with added chemicals helped me get off sugary things and too much yogurt. That migrated into more organics and really reading up on the health benefits of a diet consisting of food and not food like products.

Baby steps!

My biggest recent change is cooking all my food on Sunday to have it to eat during the week so I don't have to think or waste time. This helps me A LOT since I'm very busy.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Local and organic as much as possible, avoid GMOs as much as possible, not out of a box as much as possible, I have my own organic garden, whole grains, NO artificial sweeteners (adamant about this and I catch them in crazy places), if you can't pronounce it or buy the ingredient then don't eat it (again, as much as possible)... then again, I'm a student, Mom to twins, and I work part time. I just do my best, don't beat myself up, and try to be realistic.