Arrggghhh

Options
bubblybabeuk
bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
Hi Guys

I am currently on holiday on the Gulf coast of Florida from the UK. First couple of days I got out for my 3 mile morning power walk, normally I exercise in the gym, I also do zumba and body pump classes. Quite stupidly after my morning walks Sun and Mon I did not stretch after all I only walked. Big mistake my body seized up, starting with my hips and worked it way down my legs. Age related?? not sure but in future I will stretch like crazy.

During my walk on Monday I got eaten alive by bugs, deer flies I think. I never felt a thing but my legs and arms started to react quickly. I am a very allergic person so when I get a bug bite it grows to quite a size. So was eating max antihistamines and using hydrocortisone cream. Itching was unbearable so Wed went to the pharmacy and they gave me some After Bite...amazing stuff. Thursday I ended up at the doctor, one bite has become seriously infected and is now covering 2/3rds of my calf, I feel unwell and am now on antibiotics foe 10 days and steroids for 12 days by which time I will be home!

Sorry for the whinge just feeling a bit sorry for myself which is so unlike me :(

Mandy x

Replies

• padisneyfour
    padisneyfour Posts: 220
    Options
    Oh no..... I hope things improve. Take care of yourself! Hang in there!:flowerforyou:
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that so sucks!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    that's terrible, hope things get better for you!
  • westarnld
    westarnld Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hope you begin to feel better soon!
  • 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of the south (sorry southerners),lived in Tennessee for 11 months ,2days,5 hours,and 32 seconds before fleeing!
    The bugs are insane there, it took a year to get rid of the fleas our dogs got back there,and they have biting bugs the size of a small animal!
    Hope you feeling well in time to enjoy the sights,next time your on holiday try the west coast,the people here are awesome as is the scenery.
    and yes strech,strech ,strech!
  • Seasidedebbie
    Seasidedebbie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your adventures in FL.

I go there frequently for work and had a similar experience a month ago. I was told the bug was no-see-ums. I did not have a reaction until the next morning and they werre all over my legs and arms. I also have allergy issues. I was told to use Avon Skin-so-soft or something with DEET. I have to go in two weeks so I will be trying that.

Hope this does not ruin your trip too much.
  • gina145
    gina145 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Florida. So sorry you had a bad experience here:( Get well soon!
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I grew up in that area. Beautiful, isn't it. Sadly, late summer is the worst time of year for bugs and it sounds like it came early this year. Everyone has their name for the monsters, we called the biting house-fly looking ones dog flies. They're maddening on the beach unless the wind is really honking. Yellow flies are worse for me, I have scars from the little devils. We called noseeums "see me nots." They're tiny like a gnat.

October is a wonderful time of year to be there. The water is crystal clear with all the blue and green stripes. Most of the crowds are gone, too.

I'd be upset too after spending so much to come from the UK. I'm so sorry you're having such a miserable time in such a lovely (but itchy at times) place. If you dare go outside again, wear loose cotton long sleeve shirts and pants like you see in the movies.

I hope it gets better for you!
  • mustang6411
    mustang6411 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon!!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    That does suck. I hope you feel better soon.
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oooh poor you! You're quite right to let rip about it. You must have felt awful, hope you are much better now. Everything feels so much worse when you are away from home. Take care.