Those Without Gall Bladders.....

Options
Meikmeika
Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
Are there any Paleo/Primal people who have been successful and have no gall bladder? If so, are there any suggestions you can give others without gall bladders?

My gall bladder was removed last year and I was continually told I must adhere to a low fat, high carb diet but I would really like to give Primal a go.

Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• ThePrimalSpartan
    ThePrimalSpartan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been Primal for almost 2 years, and I just had my gallbladder removed this past May. My doctor told me that I needed to keep a low fat diet for the first 2-3 weeks after the surgery, but after that I was free to eat whatever my stomach and bowels (sorry for being gross, but that's what he said!) would tolerate.

I started eating moderately Primal after the 2 weeks he suggested, and have really stepped it up to be serious Primal for a month now. For the most part, I haven't experienced any SERIOUSLY negative side effects from having the increased fat in my diet. The only thing is that as your body is adjusting to not having a gallbladder and learning how to process the fat a new way, you may have more watery stool. It's not terrible, and compared to some gallbladder attacks I've had, they're a cake walk.

My suggestion would be to start off gradually, and see how your body reacts. If you can handle any side affects, and are seeing more positive results than negatives, then keep it up. It's all about what you're comfortable with.

My diary is open, and you are more than welcome to add me as a friend so you see how I eat/live on a day-to-day basis.

Hope this helps!
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have my gall bladder out about 20 years ago. I had just been on an extended very low fat diet which apparently is what caused my gallbadder problems. Another reason to go Primal. Anyway, I've been doing PB for about a month with absolutely no side affects of any kind. I don't remember ever having any side affects after having my gall bladder out. I believe Primal is the best way to approach eating with or without a gall bladder. Go for it!!!!!! You won't regret it (except for possibly a little low carb flu at the beginning). Just read all the message boards here and at Mark's Daily Apple to hear about all the benefits of going Primal.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I still have my gallbladder, but so many of my family & friends have had theirs removed. :frown: I found this blog post to be enlightening.

http://paleoparents.com/featured/how-to-enjoy-bacon-without-a-gallbladder/
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed back in 1988 and I've had no problems eating this way. As a matter of fact my digestion is better on this eating plan than any others I've tried.

Just start adding extra fat a little at a time just to give your digestion a chance to get used to it all.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out for about 5 years now. No problems what so ever. Best advice is to not eat food that give your body troubles. Good Luck!
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago and truly believe the low fat diet I was on the year prior to having problems it what caused me to have it removed. I have been strict paleo for the past 5 or so months and feel so much better. I have learned I have an intolerance to gluten and dairy, without giving too much info, my system is running much better now....as in I'm not running to the bathroom 10 mins after i eat. I do also take Now Foods Super Enzymes just to help my body absorb more fat soluble vitamins since I dont have a gallbladder.

Oh and I agree you should check out the link to Stacy from the Paleo Parents, they have a lot of information on their The Paleo View podcast as well.

http://paleoparents.com/featured/tpv-podcast-episode-16-the-gallbladder-show/
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for you responses!!!

Primal is a go!!!
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed 15+ years ago and I was told by my doctor not to worry, you really do not need it.
    I know now I should of ran out of his office.
    I have been on the Paleo/Primal lifestyle for just over a year. I am healthier now than I have ever been.
    I do take a Ox Bile supplement to help digest my food.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PB0_8y7mOo
    Your body will go through changes when a vital organ is removed, but take it one day at a time and listen to what your body is telling you.