Always tempted to skip the cardio...

Options
fourfiftythree
fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
I enjoy the strength workouts so much more than the cardio, I would really rather just not do the cardio and do two extra strength workouts a week instead. The cardio sessions are just kinda "blah" and I definitely don't burn as many calories. What do you guys think?? Should I just stick it out and do the cardio because Jillian says so? Or is it safe to modify?

Replies

• staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you don't like Jillian's cardio replace it with something else like running. I think you do need to have a cardio component for the best results. . It's good for your health as well.
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    One of the main points of JMBR is that she works specific muscles and then you rest them for at least 2 days before doing it again. I agree that you should sub with another form of cardio if you don't like it. Maybe a bike ride or a run or something.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters. Sub in your own cardio if you want something different, but don't skip the cardio. Give your muscles time to rest. Like you, I find the cardio video boring (Cardio 1), but I like Cardio 2 so I sub that in some times.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I think it's important, just two days a week. I do extra BUT I also come from a family with heart problems and so for me its more about keeping my heart strong and healthy. With Jillians Body revolution its two days a week and 30 mins, which is really not much and worth doing just to give your muscles a rest so they can grow! Plus now that I am a lot better at cardio and things like running, I enjoy them a lot more now. I have done JMBR like 3 and a half times SO i understand getting tired of the videos. On those days I just go for a hike, or run, or the elliptical or something.
  • fourfiftythree
    Options
    I think I will try cardio 2 and see if I like that better. It's not that I don't like cardio, but her cardio 1 video is kinda boring. I find my mind wandering constantly and can't stay focused on what I'm doing. Thanks guys! You're right, the cardio days are important.
  • joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    I feel the same way. I absolutely dread the cardio dvds. I would rather jump on my treadmill or stationary bike than do her cardio dvds. I am debating on substituting my own cardio in place of the cardio dvds.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I HATE her cardio dvd's. I am on my last week of BR and I think I did maybe 2 of her cardio workouts. I would either do P90X's cardio X or jump on the elliptical for a half hour. Much better.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I ran instead of her cardio. I just wasn't a fan.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I never liked the cardio either, but did it because it really worked out the muscles during those "rest" days. The second time I did JMBR, I did Cardio#2 during both P1&2 because Cardio 1 was a snore! However, I am on the last week of my third go-round and I did cardio 1 during P1--for some reason, it was better.
    Good luck everyone in your successes!
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the cardio dvds! I'm up to phase 2 and enjoy that much more than the cardio 1 dvd. It is winter here in Australia at the moment now though and dark when I go to work and by the time I get home so it suits me well.

I also don't burn as many calories though so if I have the time I enjoy taking my dog for a long walk or going for a job and substituting the cardio dvd.
  • fourfiftythree
    Options
    On week 7 now and I agree cardio 2 is better than 1 - still find it boring though. I need to figure out something that I enjoy.
  • PBlilacs
    PBlilacs Posts: 23
    Options
    I tend to pop in my Zumba dvd's on the cardio days. Love them!!!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I have an interval timer on my phone, so I've just put in the exercises into that and listen to my own music while I do the workout. That way I don't have to listen to her over and over and I can still follow the cardio.