CF Love and Prayers for my niece

Options

Replies

• CindyC60
    CindyC60 Posts: 30
    Options
    Getting through a Crossfit workout can give you momentary feelings of joy and exhilaration because you survived it. That's just the endorphin high talking.

That doesn't mean it was safe for a person of her size that's new to fitness to attempt such an intense workout.

Hopefully, that one experience of getting an endorphin high won't be enough to make her want to keep coming back to Crossfit instead of taking a more safe and reasonable approach to exercise for a person that's large and new to exercise.

Anyway, when your niece experiences the extreme soreness of DOMS a day or two later, I doubt if she will be so thrilled with the idea of being involved with Crossfit.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Didn't you people read that article about how dangerous it is for someone that is obese and hasn't been exercising to jump right into a high intensity workout like Crossfit?

Georgie304, I do realize you are trying to help your niece, but you are putting that girl's life in danger by asking her to do a high intensity workout like that when she doesn't have a good base of physical fitness to start with.

It doesn't matter if she was going into Crossfit or boot camp or HITT or Insanity or something else at that intensity level -- MEDICAL AND FITNESS EXPERTS ARE WARNING PEOPLE IT'S NOT SAFE FOR ANYONE THAT ISN'T ALREADY FIT TO JUST JUMP INTO SOMETHING THAT INTENSE!

If you love Crossfit, fine. Go at it. But your niece is just getting started with exercise and isn't ready for something that intense. She probably just went to make you happy.

Crossfit will be there if and when your niece is ready for something that intense, but that time isn't now!

Did you ask your niece to talk to her doctor about it first? Most responsible trainers would require a doctor's approval before accepting an overweight person that is just getting into exercising into a program as intense as Crossfit.

Your ignorance is staggering. Please go obsess somewhere else.

Don't you have a job or something productive you need to do? Do you really have the free time to be creating multiple aliases to come back and post the same old weak-*kitten* drivel to people who don't want to hear it?

Your a loser who has never challenged herself physically in her entire life. We get it. The rest of us do enjoy challenging ourselves and pushing our limits. That's our business, not yours.

Go do some tai chi and leave us the hell alone, please.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    She's back, guess who's back?

LOL, yes! I had a PM. I didn't even bother opening it.

So... She loved it y'all! On the car ride over I told her what the WOD was, Cindy.

I explained what the 20 AMRAP was and how it was perfect for her..it was simply done at her own pace...if she needed to shake out her arms after every pull up...go for it.

Pull ups were scaled to ring rows
    Push ups were from a bar
    Squats were to a stack of plates

I told her that every single workout will kill you..even if she does it for a year/no matter her fitness level b/c you push yourself to your limit each and every time. I told her that when everyone is done they drop and recoop...and that after 5 or 10 minutes she will feel amazing.

AND SHE DID!

PLUS.. after we were all able to breath again... I showed her and the other newer girl another way of scaling pull ups without the rings... They told me to move over so they could try it... So she was even asking for more after her 1st workout. I am so proud of her!

She was very excited and asked when she could come back again.

Thanks for the prayers and support everyone.

I was only half-serious but I guess I called that right? :)

Glad she enjoyed it. A good box with good coaches really is the key, and it sounds like you have it. I hope she sticks with it and ramps herself up slowly. Push hard, make sure she drinks a TON of water. She's going to be sweating like she hasn't done in a long, long time if she is anything like me :)
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Getting through a Crossfit workout can give you momentary feelings of joy and exhilaration because you survived it. That's just the endorphin high talking.

That doesn't mean it was safe for a person of her size that's new to fitness to attempt such an intense workout.

Hopefully, that one experience of getting an endorphin high won't be enough to make her want to keep coming back to Crossfit instead of taking a more safe and reasonable approach to exercise for a person that's large and new to exercise.

Anyway, when your niece experiences the extreme soreness of DOMS a day or two later, I doubt if she will be so thrilled with the idea of being involved with Crossfit.

Oh no, not DOMS. God forbid we want bigger and stronger muscles!

You are a joke.
  • CindyC60
    Options
    You people have no idea of who I am or what I do.

But that isn't the point.

The point is that taking a large person that isn't used to exercising and putting them in an intense workout is SCIENTIFICALLY and MEDICALLY KNOWN TO BE DANGEROUS! It can cause a heart attack and many other problems.

See

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/exercising-dangers-obese-people-3908.html

"Exercising Dangers for Obese People
    by Brenna Davis

Obesity poses major health risks including joint problems, heart attack, stroke and early morbidity. While exercise is key to shedding weight and reducing obesity, it can also pose some risks to the severely obese. This doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise because the risks of remaining obese typically outweigh the risks of exercise. However, you should consult your doctor before beginning a new fitness routine to ensure that you are healthy enough to exercise. Take it slow for the first few weeks and ask your doctor if there are any specific precautions you should take.

Cardiac Episodes

Cardiovascular exercise raises the heart rate, providing the heart muscle with exercise that can strengthen it over time. However, if your heart rate goes too high, cardiovascular exercise can provoke a heart attack and other cardiac episodes such as stroke and arrhythmia. While anyone can have a cardiac episode while exercising, the obese are at an increased risk. Obese people tend to have higher blood pressure, weaker hearts and poor circulation, both of which can increase their risk of cardiac episodes. Ask your doctor about your target maximum heart rate; this is the rate that your heart should not exceed during physical exercise. For most people, this rate is 220 minus your age, but your target rate may differ depending upon your level of obesity and your overall health.

Respiratory Problems

Exercise requires you to breathe more rapidly, and people unaccustomed to exercising may end up hyperventilating instead. Cardiac problems such as high blood pressure or poor circulation -- to which obese people are prone -- may also make breathing more difficult. If you have trouble catching your breath, slow down and focus on taking slow, deep breaths. Do not sit down, as this can actually cause your heart rate to temporarily spike and make breathing more difficult. Instead, stand or walk in place while drinking water.

Joint Injury

Excess weight places additional stress on joints, and obese people are more likely to suffer from joint problems, including arthritis. Some exercises, such as running, are stressful to the joints. In extreme cases, pressure on your joints can cause them to break, can cause muscle sprains or strains and can exacerbate old injuries."

If your niece passes out on the floor from pushing too hard and you have to call the ambulance the next time you think it's so great to take her to Crossfit, you'll see how funny it's NOT!

I've seen plenty of people that were formerly obese get fit and lose weight without nearly killing them self in every workout. MODERATION and consistency is the key to success -- NOT trying to push until you can't stand up every time you hit the gym.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    You'd be less transparent if you used different links instead of the same one across usernames.

We know you don't like Crossfit. And we know you keep creating new userIDs to log into the CROSSFIT LOVE group after your old ones get banned.

The point is that we all heard your drivel the first time. And the second time. And now the third time. We don't agree. So go away and kindly leave us alone to do our thing.
  • CindyC60
    Options
    You'd be less transparent if you used different links instead of the same one across usernames.

We know you don't like Crossfit. And we know you keep creating new userIDs to log into the CROSSFIT LOVE group after your old ones get banned.

The point is that we all heard your drivel the first time. And the second time. And now the third time. We don't agree. So go away and kindly leave us alone to do our thing.

If your "thing" is congratulating people for pushing a poor overweight girl that hasn't been exercising into doing Crossfit, you are being extremely irresponsible! If you already have a good fitness base and want to do Crossfit, fine. But Crossfit could kill someone that is overweight and not used to that intensity of exercise.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Didn't kill me. I was 42, diabetic, obese and sedentary when I started, and my coaches scaled EVERYTHING for me. I was still sore and exhausted after every workout, because even though everything was appropriately scaled, I WAS WORKING HARD. And you know what? Working hard and being successful gave me so much confidence that I've stayed with it. And I'm still obese (18 lbs. until I'm officially just "overweight" ... yay me!), still 42 and still diabetic, but my bG is better controlled than ever and I'm sure as hell not sedentary anymore. My coaches still scale a lot of things for me, and that's okay. I'm improving every week. Now I have GOALS that I'm working toward that have little-to-nothing to do with my weight and everything to do with my health and physical abilities.

My doctor was THRILLED when, as an obese, aging, diabetic woman, I told him I was starting CrossFit.
  • CindyC60
    Options
    The health situation you had is not the same as everyone else's.

Some people's health improves with vigorous exercise, while the same exercise routine can be dangerous or even deadly for others.

Anyone that is obese and/or has health concerns should ALWAYS consult their doctor before starting any kind of an intense exercise exercise program -- whether it's Crossfit, running, or anything else.

Just because you got by with being diabetic, obese and sedentary when you started Crossfit doesn't make this the best approach. Most doctors would prefer their patients start gradually with a more moderate exercise program that didn't leave them exhausted and out of breath and work up to something that intense if that sort of an exercise program was their goal.
  • happyheathen927
    Options
    You're absolutely right...my situation isn't the same as everyone else's. It was a lot worse than most people who pick up and decide to start Crossfit. You COMPLETELY missed the point, which was that my coaches SCALED EVERYTHING TO WHAT I COULD SAFELY DO. That still left me spent, because I was working really, really hard for the first time in a long time. That's how we get stronger, by pushing boundaries.

You don't get to decide what the best approach is, for me, or for OP's niece. You know who else doesn't get to decide? "Most doctors." My doctor didn't get to decide for me either. I didn't "consult with him" or ask his permission, I told him what I was doing and he was SUPPORTIVE. Because intense physical activity is GOOD FOR YOU.

Turns out I NEED that kind of intensity, to keep me interested. I really, really like pushing myself. It's good for me physically, emotionally and mentally. Lots and lots of people feel the same way and thrive on it.

I have to ask: do you think that CrossFit is appropriate for anybody? If not, why in the world are you posting in the CrossFit Love group?
  • CindyC60
    Options
    Your story reminds me of a guy that bragged about how he learned how to swim because his father threw him in a water tank, and he had to swim or he'd drown.

Yes, he learned how to swim, and it is possible to learn how to swim that way --- BUT it is very risky to teach someone how to swim by throwing them in water over their head, and there are much safer ways to go -- like taking the kid to the shallow end of the pool for swimming lessons. He would have eventually learned how to swim in deep water, but without risking his safety in the process.

Most doctors recommend people start with moderate exercise for a GOOD REASON. It's a much smarter and safer way to do things. Just because you like to exercise until you are completely exhausted doesn't mean it's the safe way to go for everyone that's obese and may have other health issues. Please go back and read the article I posted about all the complications that can occur when obese people suddenly start to exercise to the point of exhaustion.

Sure, Crossfit is appropriate for some people.

But when I read about someone that's obese and just starting to exercise being enrolled in a Crossfit class without consultation from a doctor and all these people are cheering for it, I feel I have a duty to speak up and be the voice of reason.
  • happyheathen927
    Options
    Holy. Crap. I give up. You may have the worst reading comprehension of any adult I've ever encountered.
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Don't feed the troll.

Again, thanks for the support everyone!

She sent me a text last night and said she was ready to get back in there today. I told her to wait and see how her body is doing today b/c day 2 is always worse for me. She text me this morning and said I was right, day 2 is worse. LOL I told her that she might want to go in and just roll out. We'll see how her day goes. She's eager to get back in there.
  • CindyC60
    Options
    Be a responsible aunt and make her talk to her DOCTOR first.

I know you think this is great, but having her do Crossfit at her size might kill her.
  • happyheathen927
    Options
    Don't feed the troll.

Again, thanks for the support everyone!

She sent me a text last night and said she was ready to get back in there today. I told her to wait and see how her body is doing today b/c day 2 is always worse for me. She text me this morning and said I was right, day 2 is worse. LOL I told her that she might want to go in and just roll out. We'll see how her day goes. She's eager to get back in there.

:embarassed: Sorry, I got sucked right into that.

I'm thrilled for her; I've been there and so understand her excitement! I do hope you'll keep us updated. :smile:
  • CindyC60
    Options
    You people are missing the issue.

The point isn't that she likes it and you are excited.

The point is that your niece NEEDS TO GET THE APPROVAL OF HER DOCTOR before she starts an intense exercise program that leaves her exhausted and out of breath. Otherwise HER HEALTH IS IN JEOPARDY FROM THE EFFECTS OF SUDDENLY STRESSING HER CIRCULATORY AND RESPIRATORY SYSTEMS, WHICH ARE ALREADY UNDER STRESS ON ACCOUNT OF HER WEIGHT ISSUES.

You were lucky she didn't pass out the first time.

You can call me a troll, or any other name you want.

BUT PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR NIECE HAS THE APPROVAL OF HER DOCTOR BEFORE SHE ATTEMPTS ANOTHER CROSSFIT CLASS!

IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT!
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Anyone else wonder if this is an ex of Glassman? LOL

Reddik.
  • CindyC60
    Options
    I don't understand how you can sit around and make jokes about it when your niece's health is at risk.

Doing intense physical exercise where someone is obese and not used to it can be dangerous, if not deadly.

So please for God's sake, stop trying to make me and my comments the issue and

TELL YOUR NIECE SHE NEEDS TO TALK TO HER DOCTOR ABOUT IT BEFORE SHE ATTEMPTS TO DO ANY MORE CROSSFIT WORKOUTS!

If she is going to do Crossfit, she probably should at least have a heart rate monitor to make sure she is not exercising beyond her safely limits.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Apologizes about the return of the troll, blocking her from the group...
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    wowwwww...

so glad your niece enjoyed it.

Moderate levels of exercise my butt. Can you say boring as all hell? yup, been doing CrossFit for almost 4 years. My body is so damaged from it. My father who is almost 60 is in the best shape he has been in in my lifetime because he is doing CrossFit now. Can I just gush about the confidence he has gained? How proud he is of his accomplishments? The man could barely squat going into it and now his squat rivals mine.

God Bless America, God Bless CrossFit. Spread the good news people!! lol ;)