workout soooo short??

Options
Hey ladies,
just started stage 1 of NROLFW and already did both workout A and B.

my question is: these workouts are soo short? i am done in under half an hour with one workout. am i doing it wrong?
im not used to staying in the gym for only such a short amount of time...it really feels awkward.

i really want to stick to lou's programme and i also eat the amount of food recommended (minus 300 for fat loss)

Can anyone tell me if she had success with these short workouts? Or do u need longer to complete the workouts?

all the best, Lucy :-)

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Are you resting long enough between sets?

Stage 1 is shorter than the others, but make certain that you are resting for enough time between sets to maximize the weight you can heft.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'd say you are going wrong somewhere.... they used to take me 45-60 mins. Are you repeating? Are you doing reps on each leg rather than total?
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For stage one, the workouts are about 30 minutes. They get a little longer when you increase your sets
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the warmup and any sort of cool down? The actual exercises themselves only took me about 30 minutes, but with warmup and cool down that put it up to about 45.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I always added cardio to Stage 1 because it was so short.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    ^^^All of this^^^

I thought the same thing when I did my first couple workouts. As I have added weight though, I've found that the reps take longer and that I also need more rest in between.

I had no idea where to start on workouts A1 and B1, so I started easy and kept adding. The workouts definitely got longer as they got more difficult!
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The 1st stage is really short, even when you factor in the rest between sets. Don't worry, the rest of the workouts are much, much longer (with the exception of the optional stage 6)! They usually took me between 60-90 minutes.

Edited to add: I don't remember losing much weight during the 1st stage, but my muscle definition was definitely improved by the end of the 6 weeks. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd stage where I started to really notice results.
  • blueboxblues
    blueboxblues Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. I actually did two sets of Stage 1 Level 1 (lightest weights) because they were so short I assumed I was supposed to...when I upped my weights and upgraded to big kid pushups it definitely extended the time it took to finish!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Ya, the workout is short. I didn't usually do a warm up(guess that was bad of me) and yes the workout was only about 1/2hr or so. I agree, it was really weird.
  • amber_michelle30
    amber_michelle30 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 30 minutes too. I almost feel guilty for leaving so fast lol
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also thought it was too short the first few times through (when it was only two sets) and I also thought it was too easy until I walked down the stairs (my gym is two stories) and thought I was going to collapse from leg weakness. It was surprising to me. With the third set it takes closer to 40 minutes and I do a different ab routine than the program so that adds a little more time.

I don't like cardio in the gym so only do about 10-12 minutes on the treadmill. I prefer to walk the neighborhood or ride my bike.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The book addresses this. Since you are not wasting time doing an isolated exercise for each individual muscle (bicep curl, calf raises, tricep extension, etc.) and instead doing compound movements that target many different muscle groups at once, one of the benefits is increased efficiency in the gym.
  • kellydeekay1969
    Options
    don't worry it gets longer and harder!!
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Takes me about 35 minutes to complete, including a 5 minute treadmill warm-up. I'm still on Stage 1 and have heard to enjoy the shorter workouts while they last, so I am :)