Bicep pain

Options
dirtnap63
dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
Basically I felt a slight pull or tear in the middle of my right bicep while lifting about three months ago. It doesn't seem to have gotten any better, or worse really. But I can feel it when lifting even the lightest of things. It's not severe, more of a niggling, annoying pain. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say it's a 4. I can, and have, worked through it but I'd really prefer if it just went away. Do you think I have to stop lifting altogether for that to happen? Please say no.

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    In February I did that to an ab while pulling a backflip. It was on/off annoying up until just the last few weeks. Ah the joys of getting old. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzEhoyXpqzQ
  • M8R5on8ym
    M8R5on8ym Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In February I did that to an ab while pulling a backflip. It was on/off annoying up until just the last few weeks. Ah the joys of getting old. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzEhoyXpqzQ

If you are doing backflips you ain't geting old :wink:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have no personal experience with that type of injury (thank god) but saw an interesting discussion of it here:

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/monster-garage-gym-hook-grip-101-its-a-love-hate-relationship/

At least it talks about how to work around it while doing deadlifts. As far as recovery, some injuries involving tears at the attachment site of a muscle can take up to a year to heal completely, and you need to do certain things proactively to ensure they heal correctly. I would either talk to a physical therapist or do your own research on muscle and ligament tear rehab.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I had bicep pain somewhat similar...an annoying pulling pain, every time I worked with weights. Sadly, I had to take alil break..and modify once I started back up again :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would give it a weeks rest and then start back with light weights. If it is still causing problems, then I would see a doctor and find out what the problem was.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Bumblebums, it doesn't actually bother me when deadlifting. It's usually when my hand is in a open position and while in the concentric phase of lifting, such as a traditional curl position. But it doesn't have to be anything heavy, even a 1lb dinner plate can cause a slight pain. I suppose I'll have to go to a doctor to get to the bottom of this.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem and I hate seeing doctors so I just dealt with it. No bicep work, no matter how indirect, for 3-4 months or so (this means no chins, pullups, or even rows). After a few months I started doing very light curls (like 10lbs) just one set every time I was in the gym to sort of slowly get it acclimated again (I don't normally do curls). After a few more months it felt fine and I resumed my normal routine. Took probably 6 months overall and feels fine to this day. *shrug*
This discussion has been closed.