Finished my first tri yesterday...

Options
SatelliteCrush80
SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
BEST. FEELING. EVER. Yesterday, I completed a low-key, fairly small tri as a way to practice and get some race experience for my 'A race' next month.

Swim- 11:39 (300 m pool swim)

We were in order by predicted swim time, so I was toward the end. I am not a fast swimmer, but my technique is improving all the time. Actually felt really good during my swim, and didn't feel overly crowded or restricted. Went out a little too fast at first, just from the adrenaline and nerves, but was able to slow down and get into a nice groove by the 100 mark. Very happy with my swim, just gotta work on getting faster!

Bike 1:01:56 (11ish miles)

It was definitely a weird feeling being in such a hurry to go from swim to bike, but it was pretty smooth. I spent the night in the town where the race was, so I drove the course the night before just to see what I was working with. Very nice, a few rolling hills but no major climbs. Since I forgot to take my snack out to get a bite down during transition, I had to try eating on the bike. This was new for me, but I had to get something down...and I survived! No injuries in the eating on my bike! Anyway, I felt really good on the course. In hindsight, I could/should have pushed myself a little more...but I was just happy to finish it and get started on the run. At about mile 10, it hit me that I was this close to becoming a triathlete...that was about the time I passed a photographer, who I gave the biggest smile in the world!

Run 35:43 (3.1 miles)

As expected, my legs felt like rubber for the first quarter mile or so and I just took it easy until they got back under me. By this time, the sun was peeking out and it was starting to get hot. Luckily, the run was mostly on the shaded paths in the park...so I was able to cool down a bit and hydrate. By the time I hit the 2 mile mark, I was just ready for it to be over. Just had to suck it up, think of my celebratory cupcake and push through. Had a little bit left in the tank, so I picked up the pace for my kick to the end.

Overall time: 1:53:56.

Not fast, but done. Definitely a good practice for next month, even though that swim is open water (been practicing that separately, but just did not want the pressure of a race yet). Feeling much more confident...now that I *have* completed one, I know I *can* complete one. So, next stop...Iron Girl Columbia!

Replies

• jentris
    jentris Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Isn't it fabulous??!!!!

That is a very respectable first tri time and I bet you learned a lot in the process too! Very nice job on your first race report a well.

I love reading reports from first timers - it always puts a smile on my face!

Make it a great day!
  • PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    Options
    Congratulations! My first tri is in a month and has the same distances as yours (but with an open water swim). I love reading race reports from other people new to the sport. I can't wait!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Sounds like you had a very successful first race!
    I predict you will soon be addicted :bigsmile:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    That's great! I agree - you will become addicted :)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first tri. I recently did my first too and it's a great feeling when you're only a mile out from the finish and it hits you that HEY I'm really doing this thing. :)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! You did great! I literally just ordered my bike yesterday, so it'll be awhile before I join your ranks :smile:
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Awesome job.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Awesome job and congrats on your first triathlon.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It sounds like you're already catching the bug.

It also sounds like you not only had a great fun, but you were able to take some mental notes along the way. There's nothing like having fun and improving, at the same time.

First triathlons are always something worth remembering. I'm glad that you did so well, and enjoyed it so much.

You'll have to let us know how Columbia goes!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!